RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2020, 05:46 PM   #1

Does anyone make a class C without the overhead section?

For 2 adults that overhead is a waste of space and a source of cracks, delaminations and leaks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2020, 05:56 PM   #2

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
That would be a class B you are describing.

Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrocharlie View Post
For 2 adults that overhead is a waste of space and a source of cracks, delaminations and leaks.

Coach House and several other mfg. No they are not B’s. A B is a converted van.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:33 PM   #4

I guess than would be called a “C-“

Not all C’s have those issues. Like all RV’s they require frequent attention to the roof seams.

Lazydaze is one with a good reputation.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:36 PM   #5

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanjay View Post
Coach House and several other mfg. No they are not B’s. A B is a converted van.
Sorry, I stand corrected.

I guess I was thinking about class B+ rigs.

Something like this.......

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/202...27V-5011190605

Happy Glamping.
Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:56 PM   #6

Class C’s without the cab over section are being sold under the bogus classification of B+. And as posted above a more accurate (but a marketing failure) would be to call them a C-.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrocharlie View Post
Hi Jyrocharlie,

What you describe is a B+ motor home. I totally agree with you over your concern of leakage in the cab-over bed area of a typical class C. Just about every manufacture of class C motor homes also make a B+.

Our B+ SEEN HERE has been serving us since 2007 when we bought it new. We love it, and love it's design, structural integrity, materials & workmanship. The Phoenix Cruiser is offered in many different lengths and floor plans, many of which you have the option to delete one or more slide outs at a huge savings in money and weight. If you find Phoenix Cruisers to be too expensive, then consider looking at used ones.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:15 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I had a Phoenix cruiser about 10 years ago - 2010 2350, and out grew it. I had a standard 31’ Class C after that. The B+/C- made a lot less wind noise than a standard class C, was better built, and had nicer furniture and appliances. Phoenix gets mixed reviews, and Kermit can be a bit off-putting, but I had a good one and got to spend some time in their little factory. It’s a clean, efficient operation with a lot of long time employees. Anyway I liked my little Phoenix but couldn’t get used to the small cut corner bed and the tiny kitchen. Also no place to stuff the grandmonsters.
R.Wold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:24 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
Hi Jyrocharlie,

What you describe is a B+ motor home. I totally agree with you over your concern of leakage in the cab-over bed area of a typical class C. Just about every manufacture of class C motor homes also make a B+.

Our B+ SEEN HERE has been serving us since 2007 when we bought it new. We love it, and love it's design, structural integrity, materials & workmanship. The Phoenix Cruiser is offered in many different lengths and floor plans, many of which you have the option to delete one or more slide outs at a huge savings in money and weight. If you find Phoenix Cruisers to be too expensive, then consider looking at used ones.
Wow Ron those pics bring back memories. I had a couch and small removable table instead of a dinette. That was another thing - wanted both so had to go bigger. But a lot of nice features packed into a small go-anywhere package. I also chucked the sub-woofer under the bed and put to AGMs there. Good place because it was right next to the inverter and in
one with the cables from the battery compartment. I also sealed in my battery compartment so it stayed clean. Then with a little re-wiring I was able to run the microwave off the inverter. That was a fun rig - lot of great miles in it.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:35 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Boondocking in the Phoenix Cruiser

I had that 14’ trailer built with upper cabinets along the front, then built in a work bench, added a lower tool chest, compressor, bigger inverter and battery back and 4 res solar panels up top and was able to run my AC with it’s well as fix about anything that broke on my rig or, more often, others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10812850-7A19-4C09-B2CC-E6D9E6C8253A.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	290937   Click image for larger version

Name:	00C36AEB-0922-4E28-8598-99E3F1355744.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	290938  

Old 06-26-2020, 04:05 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Check out the Forest River Sunseeker/Forester line they are Class Cs with what they call the trekker option which is the deletion of the overhang
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trekker.png
Views:	6
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	290973  
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:33 AM   #12

that treker and some have the composite "Cap".. it still seams into a laminated side wall system and roof cap system.. IT IS WAY better..

Some of the B+.C- whatever..... use the turtle shell method
d of a one piece roof and front mock up or sectionals that are factory seemed, much like the typical shuttle bus and limo buses (but with less steel for occupant safety used in shuttles..)

I converted a Shuttle to RV,, went well, it is 25 years old and had a factory seem crack and leak but at the age and 190k it is happy...

These composite capped and hard bodies are not weight savers,, that stuff is way heavy compared to a typical fiber lam foam board used in typical travel trailers and C Class...

Just running my mouth... BUT leaks seem to happen in any config somewhere, in the composite shell I had windows leak lik any RV etc, etc..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:35 AM   #13

PleasureWay makes one with just the small cap on the front.

They do call it a B+ as it is only 22' OA and just 7'-6" wide as opposed to 8' like the rest of the C's

We love it!

They no longer build it on the Ford chassis
Old 06-26-2020, 08:02 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Coachhouse

These are largely considered to be one of the best if not the best B+
https://www.coachhouserv.com/models/...latinum-271xl/
it’s what I’d buy if I were doing it again. But before I down size, I need to use my 34’ for four or five years, move up to a 40’ with a tag for another four or five, then maybe head back to a b+.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8EA4FCA5-DB9C-4600-B524-10A220E7AE1E.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	290998  

Tags
class c