Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post
So... did you repair the plug blow out yourself? If so, how difficult and how much time did it take? Or... did you have a mechanic repair the plug problem? If so, what was the cost?

Also, were you on a low mph road when it blew? I wonder if the entire engine would get ruined if the blow out happened on a HWY at 60 + mph!!

What year engine??
The mechanic did the repair but there are several DIY kits out there now that include the drill, tap, heli coil, and tube for your shop vac to remove the chips from the cylinder. Cost me under $200 which included replacing all of the plugs.

Happened on the freeway at about 70. Let off the throttle to exit and bbbbbbrrrrrraaaaaapppppppp. Popped the hood and determined it was a plug and drove it home keeping it at low RPM.

It was a 2001 and ran I it another 115K after that with no other engine problems. Never changed the plugs again either.
Woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woo10-210 View Post
The mechanic did the repair but there are several DIY kits out there now that include the drill, tap, heli coil, and tube for your shop vac to remove the chips from the cylinder. Cost me under $200 which included replacing all of the plugs.

Happened on the freeway at about 70. Let off the throttle to exit and bbbbbbrrrrrraaaaaapppppppp. Popped the hood and determined it was a plug and drove it home keeping it at low RPM.

It was a 2001 and ran I it another 115K after that with no other engine problems. Never changed the plugs again either.
Thanks!!
RM Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Plug blowout was most common from1999 to 2004 after that Ford changed to a 1 piece plug and longer threads, had a 97 class c beat it hard for 70k miles all overloaded, never an issue, currently have a 2007 with less than 9k on it and the 07 is loaded to gvw and towing 3k, bulletproof on both..been in 100+ degree heat, never over heated and trans temp never got past 205 in the worst mountains.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:46 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
Plug blowout was most common from1999 to 2004 after that Ford changed to a 1 piece plug and longer threads, had a 97 class c beat it hard for 70k miles all overloaded, never an issue, currently have a 2007 with less than 9k on it and the 07 is loaded to gvw and towing 3k, bulletproof on both..been in 100+ degree heat, never over heated and trans temp never got past 205 in the worst mountains.
1 piece plugs were blowing out until 2004/5.
Ford then went to more threads and 2 piece plugs that broke off during removal. A different repair kit for them.

They then went back to 1 piece plugs that fit just right.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:16 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
1 piece plugs were blowing out until 2004/5.
Ford then went to more threads and 2 piece plugs that broke off during removal. A different repair kit for them.

They then went back to 1 piece plugs that fit just right.
Geeeez... Amazing Ford let that go on so long; at all for that matter.

While shopping for a good used RV [such as we are now] I'm constantly paying attention to if it has a V10 and if so what year it is. Gets confusing!
RM Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:22 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any high miles v10 would have had the issue before 60k that's when I saw most of the issues, it's not a deal breaker for me, as it can be fixed at a reasonable cost.overall the v10 is stout, even 4r100 4 speed trans is good 5r110 5speed is better came in in 2005-2006 E350/450
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, v10