Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2017, 12:24 AM   #1
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Doghouse insulation -- question and discovery

Today I removed the doghouse in my class C in order to install some insulation in hopes of reducing engine noise and heat coming up thru the cab floor.

I used a product that looks like Reflectix with a closed cell foam center rather than bubble wrap. The question I have is this. Is it important glue the insulation to the inside of the doghouse? I don't see anything under the cover that moves.

Now as to the discovery -- my RV's doghouse has cup holders and small storage spaces on the front edge. I discovered today that that is a large removable piece. I'm amazed how much easier it is to climb into the driver's seat, but I'm not sure how much I'll miss the cup holders. But I can always snap it back on.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2017, 05:23 AM   #2

This is what I used to sound proof and insulate our dog house and it has worked great and easy to install. It's a heavy, thick material and self adhesive. You will cut this material into several pieces to—"form and fit"—the entire area, and then use either a wooden or metal hand roller to "roll & press" into place to insure a good adhesion. Took me about an hour to do my dog house.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:16 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I redid the sound and heat insulation on our Georgie Boy doghouse. It was a carpeted fiberglass cover. I had to take the carpet off, then I used Duramat sound insulation over the cover, then reglued the carpet on top. I used the Duramat silver reflective heat insulation on the underside. The sound insulation is heavy, and the adhesive would not have held it in place if I had put it on the underside of the cover. Much improvement.
Now in a Class C Coachman Leperchaun, trailer towing a 1950 Crosley Station wagon, or a '42 Pick-Up. Member of the Non-Affiliated Camping Group FMCA #F462997 RVM #146 Jon & Ellen
Eyephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #4

To piggy back on this thread I need to replace the insulation on my dog house, but I also need to replace the seal. Anyone have any luck finding replacements? Mine is a 1977 Chevy. I even have the actual complete 1974-1978 GM light and medium duty truck parts manuals and can't find anything conclusive in it for a replacement.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I removed my seal while cleaning so I got a good look at it. It is made by joining the ends of a material that might be sold by the foot. You might be able to find one at a junk yard or RV salvage yard off a newer vehicle with the same size motor. If you are anywhere near recent flooding there might be several to choose from.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As my friend Mike used to say, "Google is your friend".

http://www.winnebagoparts.com/engine...al-15-section/
Old 10-02-2017, 08:51 PM   #7

That may possibly work. I have to look closely at what the dog house has on it. Chevy changed the doghouse in 1978, so if it fits an 80's-90's unit, it may not fit a 1977. And then again it may...best I can tell GM calls for a different part number for 71-77 and 78 on.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #8
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyCamper View Post
That may possibly work. I have to look closely at what the dog house has on it. Chevy changed the doghouse in 1978, so if it fits an 80's-90's unit, it may not fit a 1977. And then again it may...best I can tell GM calls for a different part number for 71-77 and 78 on.
I suspect both use the same type of gasket material, but are different sizes. Measure the perimeter of your doghouse and find one that size or larger. This might be a place where new material is best. I'd be afraid of leaks around any gaskets over 10 years old.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyCamper View Post
To piggy back on this thread I need to replace the insulation on my dog house, but I also need to replace the seal. Anyone have any luck finding replacements? Mine is a 1977 Chevy. I even have the actual complete 1974-1978 GM light and medium duty truck parts manuals and can't find anything conclusive in it for a replacement.
Try LMC truck. They have restoration parts and I believe you could buildawhole truck from parts
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:15 PM   #10
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoakken View Post
Try LMC truck. They have restoration parts and I believe you could buildawhole truck from parts
Many years ago I remember hearing that if you bought a car one part at a time it would cost you 4-5 times as much as a buying that car new from the dealer
Old 10-04-2017, 04:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Many years ago I remember hearing that if you bought a car one part at a time it would cost you 4-5 times as much as a buying that car new from the dealer
Reminds me of the early M*A*S*H episode where Radar was sending a Jeep back home one part at a time.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #12
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post
Reminds me of the early M*A*S*H episode where Radar was sending a Jeep back home one part at a time.
Or this Johnny Cash song

Old 10-07-2017, 08:53 PM   #13

I got an LMC van catalog. Nothing satisfying that I found there.

Tags
cover, discovery