Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2020, 01:55 PM   #1

Dometic RM763 fridge running on LP only

Hey there, I'm having an issue with my RV fridge. I'll provide as much detail as I can here but need some help.
I have a 1985 Fleetwood Jamboree RV with Dometic RM763. I can't get the fridge to run on anything except for LP. On LP the pilot lights and the fridge cools and works pretty well for an older fridge. I have been troubleshooting as much as I can and I have and user/troubleshooting manual but the pictures are too dark to see anything.

On my Chevy dash console I have a refer control toggle switch labeled 110v/LP and 3-way. I have tried both. When on 3-way I start the fridge and the LP mode starts and pilot lights, then I started the RV engine assuming that the LP mode would switch over to 12v mode and the pilot go out but it stayed on. I then turned the motor off and plugged in the shore power (110v) and the LP pilot stays on. When I close the LP valves hoping that 110v would kick in but all I hear is the clicking of the spark trying to run the LP. So i'm getting only LP mode running no matter what I try.

On my model I can't find the fuse for the 12v but I would assume that if 12v fuse was bad LP wouldn't work either.

I also can't seem to find the circuit board that everyone talks about. I don't have a plastic box on the left of the outside unit. I do see the 12v connection terminals (ignition/+/-), and noticed the green wire for the ignition goes to the console. When looking at the refer control I noticed a green wire just hanging there not connected but I don't know where it goes since I can't find a diagram or picture of the switch anywhere. I assume that the hanging green wire is from the ignition terminal on the fridge and it connects to that switch but I didn't want to plug it in until I know for sure it goes there.

As for further testing, I will be testing with a meter later on today (110v outlet, 12v terminal etc) but I don't see where the relay or circuit board is.

Can someone point me in the right direction. I'm maniacally inclined but I never worked on a fridge before

Here are some photos;

https://flic.kr/p/2jcq422

https://flic.kr/p/2jcq3eF
drhotwing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2020, 11:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From what I remember a 3 way fridge ONLY works on 12volt ( heater element)with the chassis engine running ,most of them that i have had the 12v heater element was toast. Parts may become hard to get for that vintage. I would be more concerned about 110v and propane.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Google your dometic model, I found the trouble shooting manual!
Old 06-19-2020, 10:06 AM   #4

Thanks. My model has 2 heating elements in it, 1 for 12v DC and one for 120v AC.
With the chassis running from what I understand the LP is supposed to turn off and the 12v heater is supposed to take over but LP won't shut off.

I'm wondering if the problem is the relay but I can't find it
Old 06-19-2020, 03:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is about as good as it gets !!
Sure hope this helps!Dometic-Service-AES.pdf
Old 06-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seems I cant upload a .pdf what gives??
Old 06-19-2020, 04:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Manual for fridgeDometic-Service-AES.pdf
Old 06-19-2020, 07:53 PM   #8

I have both of those manuals and have read the troubleshooting. One of my big issues is that there is a switch right under the steering wheel in the chassis. I can't find anything anywhere about this switch. There is a green wire that I believe is the wire connected to the ignition lock terminal, that is just handing there next to that switch. I need someone to verify if that green wire plugs into the back of that switch or not.

Also, the troubleshooting steps say that there are 2 screws on the left and one near the burner that need to be taken out to access the circuit board and relay, etc. I can't see the picture of where where screws are exactly.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 06-22-2020, 03:17 PM   #9

OK so I figured out how to get to the printed circuit board on the rm 763 to find the 2 fuses on the board were burned out. I replaced them with slow blow 3a fuses and bingo the fridge is working again.

My only question now is this; in the manual it says to use a 3A glass fuse but on the circuit board it says use 5A only. Which one should I be using?
Old 06-23-2020, 01:02 PM   #10

PROBLEM RESOLVED.
Replaced burned out fuses

Tags
dometic, fridge