Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2021, 08:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatseaker View Post
Thanks everyone, this was very helpful. I read my 2008 Express owners manual and it didn't explain " tow haul " as good as this one. It appears it's similar to a jake brake which I am used to. When the winter weather is coming to a close I'll take it for a ride in the Colorado I-70 mountains for a test.

So when I get to the top of the hill I activate the tow haul before it up shifts to keep my speed equal to going up the hill............??
You leave Tow/Haul on all of the time, your driving in the mountains.
There is no benefit to switching it on and off. The downside is not switching it on in time.

You really can't use the same gear going down a mountain as you used going up, unless both sides of the mountain are the same. Not sure how you will know it is the same and the chances are slim that it is.

You have to learn to judge what you need to do, and as long as Tow/Haul is on, the brake pedal will help you do it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2021, 09:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You leave Tow/Haul on all of the time, your driving in the mountains.
There is no benefit to switching it on and off. The downside is not switching it on in time.

You really can't use the same gear going down a mountain as you used going up, unless both sides of the mountain are the same. Not sure how you will know it is the same and the chances are slim that it is.

You have to learn to judge what you need to do, and as long as Tow/Haul is on, the brake pedal will help you do it.
Got it twinboat. Thanks. Practice practice
heatseaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:36 AM   #17
chs

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatseaker View Post
Thanks everyone, this was very helpful. I read my 2008 Express owners manual and it didn't explain " tow haul " as good as this one. It appears it's similar to a jake brake which I am used to. When the winter weather is coming to a close I'll take it for a ride in the Colorado I-70 mountains for a test.

So when I get to the top of the hill I activate the tow haul before it up shifts to keep my speed equal to going up the hill............??
I believe it should be on when your towing, not just intermittently. That said, I sometimes shut it off when it becomes annoying. (Erratic Shifting and too high engine rpm)
chs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs View Post
I believe it should be on when your towing, not just intermittently. That said, I sometimes shut it off when it becomes annoying. (Erratic Shifting and too high engine rpm)
Its not to high RPM, you just perceive it as to high. It won't overspeed.

I have watched the RPMs hover above 5300 RPMs on a steep downhill. The engine can take it but I was ready for the brakes if it upshifts on me. It held its own.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Its not to high RPM, you just perceive it as to high. It won't overspeed.

I have watched the RPMs hover above 5300 RPMs on a steep downhill. The engine can take it but I was ready for the brakes if it upshifts on me. It held its own.
On the F-450 with either the 6.8 or 7.3 is there a gear selector? On the Ram 3500 truck I can select the top gear the transmission will shift to regardless of tow-haul or not.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Down Shift.

a Jeep GC is a lot of TOAD for most class Cs
Too much for a sprinter and 350 but recent E450 have 7500# tow capacity and flat towing a GC curb weights are listed as 4500-5300# which is within range. 2021. Wangler at 38-4900# 2016.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:20 AM   #21

A motorhome is ALWAYS a load for the chassis, the tow-haul should be on anytime you are driving the MH whether towing or not, flat land or mountains. It will reprogram the shifts and also provide for downshifting on decent on hills.

charles
Old 02-15-2021, 02:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
A motorhome is ALWAYS a load for the chassis, the tow-haul should be on anytime you are driving the MH whether towing or not, flat land or mountains. It will reprogram the shifts and also provide for downshifting on decent on hills.

charles
The transmission in our E450 Class C failed just after 60K miles. Up to that point I rarely used it with the Tow/Haul mode engaged. I wonder if the tranny was burnt up due to excessive clutch slippage generated heat from all our trips in the mountain parts of the U.S. because Tow/Haul mode wasn't engaged?

Now I travel almost exclusively with the Tow/Haul mode engaged! The transmission replacement ran around $5400.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:33 AM   #23

CharlesinGA and Phil G that pretty much solidifies it for me. I just hope I didn't do any damage to the tranny during the 650 miles I drove pulling my jeep without it on.
heatseaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:53 AM   #24
chs

Interesting read

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/1...nsmission.html
chs is offline   Reply With Quote