Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2022, 02:50 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup, bigger tires are a poor man's overdrive.
Most MH's have too low a rear end ratio to start with.
Just remark your speedo.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2022, 02:50 PM   #16

Class Cs have about 40 gallon fresh water tanks. That's about 330 pounds or a passenger, his cloths and some food for him or her. Probably less because everybody carries some water in the tank.

I have a E450 class A and I can't tell the difference in the ride with or with out water in the tanks. My gas tank holds 60 gallons and I don't feel that either as it runs low.

When we load up for 6 months of travel, it rides the same as for our summer weekend trips.

Those that claim they can feel a difference in a few hundred lbs, in a vehicle designed to carry thousands of lbs of cargo, are just getting the perception of a different ride.

Unless you always go down the same road, during the same season, there is no baseline to compare. Even tire pressures go higher on hot roads then cold roads.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 10:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Class Cs have about 40 gallon fresh water tanks. That's about 330 pounds or a passenger, his cloths and some food for him or her. Probably less because everybody carries some water in the tank.

Those that claim they can feel a difference in a few hundred lbs, in a vehicle designed to carry thousands of lbs of cargo, are just getting the perception of a different ride.
Actually, I notice carrying 35 gallons of fresh water compared to running empty. This is because we have an E350 chassis and the fresh water tank is located against the back wall, right above the rear bumper. The cantilever condition great amplifies that weight compared to the FW tank on more recent model years where it is located much closer to the rear axle and more centered.

This is one reason why I got so anal concerning the ride and handling of our rig, making improvements to the suspension which have more than compensated for our weight distribution condition.
Old 11-01-2022, 01:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
Actually, I notice carrying 35 gallons of fresh water compared to running empty. This is because we have an E350 chassis and the fresh water tank is located against the back wall, right above the rear bumper. The cantilever condition great amplifies that weight compared to the FW tank on more recent model years where it is located much closer to the rear axle and more centered.

This is one reason why I got so anal concerning the ride and handling of our rig, making improvements to the suspension which have more than compensated for our weight distribution condition.

I guess that's maybe one of the reasons why our 24 footer handled great right from the start - including not noticing any affect from the fresh water tank: Our 39 gallon fresh water tank is also located against the back wall ... but it's mounted fore-and-aft lengthwise right on the centerline of the chassis, so very little side-to-side weight-shift from sloshing of the water.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 03:23 PM   #19

Quote:

How far back can that 280 lbs of water be, behind the rear axle on a 25 ft RV. 6 to 8 feet ? Even that seems exessive.

How far forward is the front axle from the rear axle, 18 to 20 feet ?

Your 280 lbs of of water turn into 140 lbs of canterlever, the weight of a teenager.

If that truly effects your handling and stability, you have a dangerous RV.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:04 PM   #20

Quote:
How far back can that 280 lbs of water be, behind the rear axle on a 25 ft RV. 6 to 8 feet ? Even that seems exessive.

How far forward is the front axle from the rear axle, 18 to 20 feet ?

Your 280 lbs of of water turn into 140 lbs of canterlever, the weight of a teenager.

If that truly effects your handling and stability, you have a dangerous RV.
The water was a factor, maybe because of the placement of everything else. Here is my rig dimensions, wheel base, and weight distribution. Keep in-mind that all pre-2008 E350s did not come with a rear stabilizer bar and had shocks the same as a E250 van. Strangely, it came with front coil springs that of an E450 which were way over-rate for my particular rig.

Like I mentioned before, I made some changes to make it right.
- heavy duty front and rear Roadmaster stabilizer bars
- heavy duty Bilstein shocks
- rear Henderson trac bar
- heavy duty Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer
- replaced front coil springs with ones rated one level less

Changing the front coil springs lowered the front by 1.25" which leveled the rig nicely along with providing a comfortable ride without affecting handling. Needless to say, a front wheel alignment was done after that.

Here is our rig today, nice and level. This picture was taken with a full tank of fresh water and everything else in its place except for food, clothing, my wife, and I.....almost ready for a trip. CAT Scales (with us inside during trips) say the weight on the rear axle has always been a bit over-weight but I don't sweat it due to the suspension upgrades. The front axle is good but with less margin now.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Like I mentioned before, I made some changes to make it right.
- heavy duty front and rear Roadmaster stabilizer bars
- heavy duty Bilstein shocks
- rear Henderson trac bar
- heavy duty Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer
- replaced front coil springs with ones rated one level less

Changing the front coil springs lowered the front by 1.25" which leveled the rig nicely along with providing a comfortable ride without affecting handling. Needless to say, a front wheel alignment was done after that.

[/IMG]
Stabilizer ( antisway ) bars, a steering stabilizer, a rear track bar, and new shocks do nothing for weight distribution.

But is all good even with the rear axle overloaded, enjoy the ride.
Old 11-02-2022, 06:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Stabilizer (antisway) bars, a steering stabilizer, a rear track bar, and new shocks do nothing for weight distribution.

But is all good even with the rear axle overloaded, enjoy the ride.
You are correct in that the upgrades I made did not officially increase the load capability for the rear axle. I only reduced the capability up front where it was excessive through softer front coil springs.

The suspension upgrades done, only changed how the rig reacts to the weight distribution with regards to "handling" and "comfort of ride".

I say "I don't sweat over the modest over-load condition" because the load rating determined by engineers for "any vehicle" is not weight alone. There are other factors like handling and safety considered. Though I did not add a pair of rear leaf springs, helper springs, or air bags, I figure my suspension upgrades reduced or closed the gap of my officially deficient Rear Axle Weight Rating.

One thing certain, our front and rear suspensions today provide a nice travel experience considering we are driving a glorified box truck with a significant frame extention added behind it.
Old 11-10-2022, 06:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
You might want to check out the BT Cruiser by Gulfstream. I don't know anything about them, but when I see one in a campground they look really nice. Small enough to easily get around in but large enough to be comfortable and practical it seems.
I think there are a few people on the forum that them. Maybe someone will provide some particulars.
Thanks,
X2

I got a 2021 BT Cruiser, 5240, 25 foot long bumper to bumper with a small slide out with a murphy bed.

It's the Ford E-350 with the 7.3 gas V-8, gets around 11.5 mpg at 65 mph.

Rides real nice, did need some minor suspension lift and support and a front end alignment but other than that rides smooth.

As to being quiet all depends on the coach builder.

My last rv was a 33 foot class A with 2 slide outs, I do not miss it at all, I like the small class B+ over the larger class A, I can park almost anywhere, go into the inner cities, don't have to flat tow, can dry camp almost anywhere, saves on campground fees, has 42-gallon fresh water tank and a large rear bathroom.

https://youtu.be/kaRsSLUqQD8