Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #1

Driving from Moab to Denver

Hi There,
We are first timers and made it to Rabbit Valley, CO from Hudson Valley, NY with our 1987 Chevy g30 Minnie Winnebago.
On the way here, we took rt50 to rt 9 from cayon city. Not long after the climb at rt 9, the engine got weaker and stalled a few times, had to turn around and drive back to the cayon city where there were a bunch of mechanic shops. Because it was Easter Sunday, we parked at Walmart and attempted to fix it by changing the fuel filter which was inside the carburator. That didn’t change anything. Took it to a rv shop the next day and they replaced the failed fuel pump (by the engine, not in the tank) with and aftermarket pump (had to modify it in order to install) and also changed the spark plugs (2 out of 8 was not firing). We got back in the road and avoided rt 9 that time and took the scenic rt 50 all the way to the west. However, while passing the monarch pass over 11.000feet, it stalled a couple times again. We made it thru by pulling over every couple miles and letting the engine cool down on idle.
We are confused by gas recommendations as some say to use higher octane and some say to use lower octane in high altitudes. Which is better for our rv at altitude 85 or 91? Also we’ve been recommended to use deadpan. We’re sumwhat hesitant to take on the mountains again
Planning on driving to Moab and than from Moab to Denver.
How is rt 70 all the way to the Denver?
We appreciate all opinions on if this vehicle (5.7 B.B. v8 carburator) able to do it thru those mountains with given history?
Thanks a lot in advance.
mwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #2

I70 is a beautiful road but you are going to see elevations near 12,000' close to Denver at Loveland Pass. Try noy to do it on a Sunday afternoon as all the locals will be coming back into town and the traffic can be horrendous.
ztlrgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztlrgf View Post
I70 is a beautiful road but you are going to see elevations near 12,000' close to Denver at Loveland Pass. Try noy to do it on a Sunday afternoon as all the locals will be coming back into town and the traffic can be horrendous.
Thanks for the heads up about the traffic!
mwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On YouTube I follow several truck drivers who post videos of their travel.

One of them mentioned that Prime trucking would not allow their trucks to go over I70 except in very special circumstances.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:39 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztlrgf View Post
I have to agree with the above.

So what are your plans after Denver? I only ask cause I recommend skiping it all together unless you have people to see there. If you are just headed back to NY, I'd go down though Utah on RT191 towards AZ It will take you all the way to I40. THere is plenty to see in the 4 corners area.
You can go east on TR160 close to the 4 corners area and hit rt 64 and come south though Farmington NM and Take RT550 to Albuquerque,NM where you find I40

(On this part the Continental divide is in NM at about 7200 ft.)
If you into archaeology Chaco Canyon is a good stop along RT550

The bold part is a shortcut form a entirely RT191 trip.

This Route is not that much longer than I 70
In Tulsa You can Take I44 to St Louis where it meets back up with I70

I have driven I70 Though and every route I have mentioned.

I40 and I44 follow the old RT66 Highway for the most part.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:51 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum.

You are a brave man doing all that driving in a 1987 MH. I hope it doesn't give you more troubles. Safe travels.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club

I-70 is a beautiful drive, you'll have two passes to deal with, Vail Pass and the Eisenhower Tunnel summit near Loveland Pass. Both are very doable. I'd suggest downshifting to a lower gear next time you see the temperature gauge climbing. A lower gear circulates coolant faster and takes some of the strain off the engine. Going downhill, use a lower gear to use engine braking. If you start to roll too fast, apply brakes to quickly drop 10 mph then foot off the brake until next need to slow 10 mph.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote