Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #1

Driving through small stream

How safe is it for a 24ft class C RV to drive through a shallow stream that is crossing a road? Anything to be concerned about if a SUV can comfortably make it through yet low clearance sedans are warned about?
Rivertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2020, 09:17 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I wouldn't. Streams don't cross roads unless there's a problem. Ever heard the phrase "Turn around, don't drown."? Water even ankle deep, which I would consider shallow, is treacherous. You don't know what's under that water.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:18 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You could go where a low sedan can’t, but not much more. The minor caveat is that if crossing a flooded road and you can’t see the road surface you run the risk of hitting an open manhole or equivalent and getting stuck. Likewise in a stream when you can’t see the bottom. But if someone drives through successfully in front of you, no problem. If it’s more than axle deep, I’d stay out. Not worth the risk.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:25 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't believe I'd "ford the stream" unless it was less than a foot deep and the water clear enough to see the road surface below.

All large sink holes start out as small ones. Same for culvert failures.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:41 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback. On Davison road on the way to Fern Canyon there's 2 small streams you need to cross. Cars cross them all day. You can see the bottom, there's small round rocks that you drive over. No man holes and I doubt sink holes since it's used often. They limit the road to 24ft RVs.

Anyone driven an RV through that road?
Rivertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:58 AM   #6

Rust can be an issue with an RV just like a car. Why would you subject your brakes, suspension parts and possibly part of your storage bays to the possibility of being submerged intentionally ? I would pass on that idea.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:40 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I would be leary of dragging the rear overhang going through any type of depression in the road. I have seen videos of rigs getting stuck in potholes in parking lots. Granted they were excessive potholes but still whats under the water in that stream ?
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:05 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertree View Post
How safe is it for a 24ft class C RV to drive through a shallow stream that is crossing a road? Anything to be concerned about if a SUV can comfortably make it through yet low clearance sedans are warned about?
I would avoid, since the larger surface area of an RV will float it fast....

Now I have been on dirt roads and I have crossed some stuff when i had too, rain over flow,, that was 6-12 inches, hard base and 10-15 foot wide.. we had spotters etc, getting us out... otherwise stay on terra firma..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertree View Post
Thanks for the feedback. On Davison road on the way to Fern Canyon there's 2 small streams you need to cross. Cars cross them all day. You can see the bottom, there's small round rocks that you drive over. No man holes and I doubt sink holes since it's used often. They limit the road to 24ft RVs.

Anyone driven an RV through that road?
This last post seems to cover all the concerns mentioned by others. The fact the road is regularly used, the streams are always present, the road base (rocks) are clearly seen, and cars pass through without incident, indicates that you should have no issue. Why the road is limited to 24 ft. rvs is probably due to other factors of the road such as width and the sharpness of curves, not the weight of the rv crossing the streams.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #10

Given this is apparently a dirt road and not a regular road with flooding, my concern would be the approach angles. In my experience those are typically significant with streams that cross roads, and not an area where RVs excel.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:55 AM   #11

Driving through small stream

If the road is such as you described go for it. The water won’t hurt your vehicle at all. The stream water is less harmful than what you receive in a rain shower going down the road. If sedans are going thru the RV should make it easily. Just be careful of the approaches and exits as another poster commented on.

Since I posted I looked on google maps. I am assuming you are thinking about going to Golds Bluff Campground in Northern Ca. Just south of Crescent. I looked at some Drone footage and I noted some small trailers and at least on Sprinter Chasis RV in the campground.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I agree - based on everything here, the overhang issue is the only thing to be concerned about. Getting hung up while crossing the stream would really ruin your day. But other than that, if that’s clearly not an issue, head to the beach. I’d like to go out to that campground, but probably not in the Ventana...
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:13 AM   #13

One other issue besides approach/departure. An area to turn around if you decide you can't go through due to approach/departure or the water being higher than normal. You don't want to have to back up 2 miles to be able to turn around.

You may be able to determine this by satellite view beforehand, but in this case probably not.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir///@4...24.0736503,15z
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote