Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2021, 02:20 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Thank you for confirming what I posted. The pressure on the door jamb are for the maximum load capacity of each axle. If the weight is lower then that is where the load tables from the tire manufacturers come into play. It doesn’t make any difference wether you are talking about a Honda Accord or a lunar launch transporter. At max weight you need max pressure. At lower weights you can use lower pressure. Tire temp is affected when you overload for the pressure in the tire. It’s really a combination of science and common sense.
If we dressed for the coldest temperature we would ever experience we would be a little too hot about 98 % of the time. Same with tire pressure. Personally I increase pressure in all tires before a trip and lower when I get home. I ALWAYS weigh at a scale on every trip. It’s easy and they’re free. I don’t like to feel like I’m riding a buckboard when not towing.
The beauty of this topic is that we can all do what we want and we will be happy. I don’t waste my time trying to convert anyone to my way of thinking. I’m all for each person making their own choices based on whatever they use to make that choice. This is for all things not just tire pressure.
This seems to be a topic that comes up continually and people get pretty pumped up. Pun intended.
We can do what we want and be happy. When it comes to determining correct tire pressure, however, there is no “doing what we want” involved. It is probably the simplest thing we can do on a vehicle. There’s hardly any thinking required. Someone else did that for us. There’s no need to convince anyone to anyone else’s way of thinking, unless they’re doing it incorrectly, and believe they are doing it correctly. Then we can explain to them the correct method.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
We can do what we want and be happy. When it comes to determining correct tire pressure, however, there is no “doing what we want” involved. It is probably the simplest thing we can do on a vehicle. There’s hardly any thinking required. Someone else did that for us. There’s no need to convince anyone to anyone else’s way of thinking, unless they’re doing it incorrectly, and believe they are doing it correctly. Then we can explain to them the correct method.
I think there might be a lawyer or two who advised the company of what info to put on the label. I’ll stick with science and common sense.
I wonder how many RV owners inspect their roofs every six months for caulking and other potential leak sources like the manual instructs. That is there for the same basic reason that the pressures are listed on the door jamb. I’ll have to tell my buddy who builds engines for a NASCAR team that he should tell the tire men on the team to just go with the max pressure. He would be laughed off the team. Can’t wait until the next tire pressure question comes up. Almost as much fun as watching the “experts” at the boat ramp back up their trailers. Happy trails to all.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:46 PM   #59

Quote:
I think there might be a lawyer or two who advised the company of what info to put on the label. I’ll stick with science and common sense.
I wonder how many RV owners inspect their roofs every six months for caulking and other potential leak sources like the manual instructs. That is there for the same basic reason that the pressures are listed on the door jamb. I’ll have to tell my buddy who builds engines for a NASCAR team that he should tell the tire men on the team to just go with the max pressure. He would be laughed off the team.
You’d be giving your NASCAR buddy some really bad advice. Where has it been suggested that anyone just inflate to max pressure?

To reiterate, I said the placard pressures are the recommended minimum pressures to support the weight on an axle at the Axle Weight Rating. Check it out for yourself.

Yes, there is science involved. That’s been figured out for us. We don’t need to understand the science in order to weigh the coach and look at an inflation table.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:07 PM   #60

[QUOTE=Kid Gloves;5689693]

To reiterate, I said the placard pressures are the recommended minimum pressures to support the weight on an axle at the Axle Weight Rating. Check it out for yourself.

QUOTE]

And if anybody paid attention, that should coincide with the tire inflation tables.

A huge automaker lowered the tire pressures on some SUVs for ride comfort.

As the tire failure rollover crashes mounted and UHaul wouldn't rent to owners of them, they changed there ways.

Lawsuits may have swayed them too.

https://www.fordexplorerrollover.com/
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:54 PM   #61

I remember that. The Ford Firestone Fight. Firestone had defective tires and Ford's Explorer had an unstable design. They both blamed each other for the rollovers and the lawyers made a fortune. One of the central issues was the recommended tire pressure. Ford recommended 26 psi to give the Explorer a better ride. Firestone wanted 30 psi to keep the tires from failing.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:06 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
You’d be giving your NASCAR buddy some really bad advice. Where has it been suggested that anyone just inflate to max pressure?

Yes, there is science involved. That’s been figured out for us. We don’t need to understand the science in order to weigh the coach and look at an inflation table.
The whole point is that the pressure is what is needed at max axle rating. Most use is not at that level. Life is not complicated and this issue apparently had you very worked up. Sorry to question your opinion.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:50 AM   #63

I have not seen hundreds of stickers on door jambs for tire pressure. possibly 15 I would guess that 13 of them listed the max inflation pressure on the sidewall of the tire as the suggested pressure.

There was a tire engineer contributing on occasion, think he finally gave up.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:19 AM   #64

Sorry, I can’t help wondering why this is even up for debate, other than a newbie asking a question. Like someone said there is science behind all ratings on an RV. If you purposely disregard them then it’s on you, but worse, you could harm someone else, and that is not acceptable!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:42 AM   #65

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santara View Post
max on 225 75 16 is 65 single 80 dual dosen't matter on manf
Sorry, Santara, but WRONG for the LT225/75R16E (E=LOAD RANGE E)= (Common Class-C FORD/CHEVY CHASSIS RV Tire), which is a 80-PSI MAX-TIRE on a 80-PSI Max RIM... There are older C/D Load range tires MAX 65, that were used like on the little Toyota Class-C?
Old 03-28-2021, 09:57 AM   #66

Quote:
The whole point is that the pressure is what is needed at max axle rating. Most use is not at that level. Life is not complicated and this issue apparently had you very worked up. Sorry to question your opinion.
The point of this thread is the correct tire pressure for a Jayco Class C on a Ford E450 chassis. It is a motorhome. It most likely rolls out of the factory at ~12,500lbs. It isn’t ever going to weigh less. Once loaded for fun, it will probably be very close to the GVWR of 14,500lbs.

If an owner has not weighed the coach, it would be reasonable to use the front axle weight rating of 5K lbs and the rear axle weight rating of 9,500 lbs to determine correct tire pressure for each axle. Many motorhomes operate at or near their axle ratings, particularly those on a lighter chassis. These are facts, not opinions.

As a point of reference only, and not a recommendation for anyone, Michelin recommends a tire pressure for a 225/75R-16, of 75psi on single wheel axle with a 5K lb axle load and 80psi on a dual wheel axle with a 9,500 lb axle load.

Tire pressure is much less complicated than life.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:54 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
Think I read all the important reactions here.

You can only be shure about the weights after weighing, loaded the way you go on trip, is the best advice given already.

But I yudged that rear can be lower then front, because of dualload behind.

Mayby I missed you giving GAWR's , GVWR, if you give those together with tire-specifications, I can calculate a safe pressure for that, an then it gives a better indication then experiënce advices.
In my only post #39, I tried to keep it simple, but still have not gotten the GAWR's and GVWR yet.

Tirepressure is all to give the tire a deflection, so heatproduction a cycle, that wont overheat any part of tires rubber, when driving the speed for wich it is determined.

But in practice it is made complicated, by several reasons.

Different calculations used in Europe and America, while laws of nature would need same calculation.

Also maxload is not always the same for same sise and loadrange in European and American system. Then question is , what system gives it the right way to laws of nature.

Determing the weight on seperate tires is a tricky part in it all.

Then inacuracies in pressure-reading also plays a part.

Then for fi 90 degr F ambiënt temp a higher pressure is needed then for fi 40 degr F.
Luckyly within a certain range of ambiënt temp, the pressure rises and lowers by itself, when filled advice pressure at 65 degrF.

And I forgot to give some reasons probably.

That Is why my goal is , the highest pressure at wich comfort and gripp is still acceptable. Gives highest reserve to cover all those factors.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tire pressure