Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2022, 02:16 PM   #1

Dual Wheel Well Linersl

I am new to the Motor Home environment.
I have a 2010 Four winds freedom elite 26e class C on the ford E-450 chassis with 16 inch tires.

Recently one of the rear dual wheels failed and it tore a hole in the Wheel Well. The liner is a hard plastic approximately 1/4 inch thick.

We assumed that the wheel well liner was provided by the manufacture Thor and not a Ford product. This is apparently correct and Thor indicated they could not help me with a replacement or even a part number due to its age.

I have searched extensively for rv and E-450 dual wheel well liners and was a bit surprised by the lack of information regarding this subject. So I have questions.
1. Does anyone know of a source for RV single axle dual wheel well liners?
2. If anyone has experienced a broken liner how was the issue resolved.
3. Is there a good source for used motor home parts.

Your assistance is appricated
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2022, 02:46 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Could start here:
https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-salvage-yards/

-Or just do some searches on rv salvage yards. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2022, 06:57 PM   #3

Pray tell, what is on the other side of the torn wheel well?

By "other side", I mean inside the coach?

Is the torn wheel well beneath a dinette bench where the removal of a cushion and a board would make it visible? In other words, is the torn wheel well accessible from above as well as beneath (with the tires removed)?

Is the torn wheel well on the curbside of the coach, where the vacuum created in the coach when driving down the road would make it more likely for exhaust fumes to get sucked into the coach underway?

I do not know how Thor builds their coaches, but I imagine that most Class C RV engineers have likely graduated from the same college, MakeItCheap University.

The plastic wheel well in my unit was a bit too large for how the floor of my coach was framed, so the builders "bunched it up" a bit to make it fit, and I could see the overlapping fold across the long side where they "shortened" the wheel well.

When I bought the coach new, it bothered me, and I briefly considered bringing it up on my punch list of warranty concerns. But after studying how the coach was built, including taking a tour of the factory where it was built, I decided not to mention the wheel well, due to the order of operation of assembly that would likely have to be partially reversed in order to effect a non destructive disassembly of interfering parts.

This makes me wonder how difficult it might be for you to replace the factory wheel well, even if Thor did give you the part number, or the original part itself. It certainly would not be easy in mine. Yet blown rear tires are a matter of routine with Class C motorhome, so others must have been down this road before. It will be interesting to read what they have done.

I've never blown a tire on my coach, but what I did do was build a steel flow through mudflap, or half mud flap (the bottom half is flexible rubber). The steel mudflap is the upper half, and is part of an additional crossmember I put under the "house" on top of the frame pucks aft of axle, in order to better support the house, as inspired by similarly built (but larger and heavier) coaches, at that same longitudinal location along the frame.

To get the "flow through" action in the upper steel half of the mudflap (for brake cooling and water drainage), I went to a home improvement store and picked out a galvanized gable vent that was roughly 20" tall by roughly 14" wide, more or less (I don't remember the exact specs, but I made what they had on hand work). These gable vents have a nail fin for attaching them to framing studs surrounding the vent, which proved to be very useful for mounting the vent under the motorhome.

I then picked up a stick of 1 1/2" square tubing, and cut it up into pieces, with the cross cuts at 45 degree angles, to make two picture frames. I'll admit that I actually ended up making 3 picture frames, because I failed to account for shrinkage after the welds cooled, and I couldn't nest the gable vent into the first frame. While I'm thinking of it, one other tip I'd consider if doing this again is to pre select one long side as the bottom chord of the picture frame, and drill holes into what wil lend up being the bottom surface of the tube laying sideways. This will allow the hot gasses to escape while fully welding the tubes into an enclosed frame, and in use, will allow condensate to drain out of the assembly.

I rotated the gable vent sideways for installation into the tubular picture frame, which was bolted to the cross tube I added for lateral house support on top of the chassis frame. The picture frames were (with the flow through gable vents mounted sideways inside) were bolted so that they could be removed and repaired when or if a tire blew, that is, if the tire damaged them.

So that assembly provided protection on the rear side.

The forward side already had a metal plate to protect the propane tank on one side and the gray tank on the other. These plates were welded by the factory to an existing L channel house floor cross member. I mention this as an idea for you to consider doing or having done, for a more durable wheel well solution than plastic.

With the forward and rearward sides protected by metal, that just leaves the top of the wheel well to consider protecting. The solution there might be enabled by the access that you have above the wheel well, if such access exists. If not, then consider other creative means to resolve the wheel well concern, without necessarily replicating the factory solution, which may be difficult to recreate due to how these coaches are built, and, which will likely get torn up again should a tire fail again.

The most important consideration is exhaust fumes getting into the coach.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:34 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray View Post
I am new to the Motor Home environment.
I have a 2010 Four winds freedom elite 26e class C on the ford E-450 chassis with 16 inch tires.

Recently one of the rear dual wheels failed and it tore a hole in the Wheel Well. The liner is a hard plastic approximately 1/4 inch thick.

We assumed that the wheel well liner was provided by the manufacture Thor and not a Ford product. This is apparently correct and Thor indicated they could not help me with a replacement or even a part number due to its age.

I have searched extensively for rv and E-450 dual wheel well liners and was a bit surprised by the lack of information regarding this subject. So I have questions.
1. Does anyone know of a source for RV single axle dual wheel well liners?
2. If anyone has experienced a broken liner how was the issue resolved.
3. Is there a good source for used motor home parts.

Your assistance is appricated
Any chance you could post a picture or two? There are some mighty innovative guys on this forum ...... one or more might have a "repair in place" option for ya. Just my $.02.

Good luck with a fix, in any event.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 01:45 PM   #5

Pray, another idea occurs to me, that I was going to write in response to your PM, but decided to post the idea in public, so that others can shoot it down if they have tried it already without success.

In your travels on the highways and byways of the USA, I'm sure you have encountered "hot shot" less than truck load rigs, typically Ram 4500/5500 chassis cabs pulling gooseneck or 5th wheel flat bed trailers. You may have noticed that some of these tow rigs not only do not have pickup beds... they don't have any beds at all. Basically they have just a 5th wheel hitch spanning the otherwise bare frame rails, with maybe a tool box for load chains, or an extra fuel tank, or perhaps a sleeper next to the cab, but no bonafide bed. Not even a flat bed.

There is a reason for this. These operators want their 550 / 5500 light medium duty trucks to be legally classified as "tractors", instead of motortrucks, which enables them to meet some DOT or FMCSA regulation regarding the overall length of the combination of vehicles, which permit them to tow a little bit longer of a trailer, to accommodate more load, or more variety of loads, per trip.

However, even without a bed, they still need to have mudflaps, per regulations.

And to prevent their rear tires from rooster tailing water, mud, snow, and debris all over the front face of the open loads on their trailers, especially if they don't have a full width deck on the neck, they need more than just mud flaps. They need fenders.

The trucking accessories industry has accommodated this need with many options to choose from... DRW fenders for light trucks that have a curved radius matching the 29"- 32" overall diameter of light truck tires (most commonly, the 225/70R19.5, which is about 31.5").

Keep in mind, the Class 6-7-8 overall tire diameters are 40" and higher (on 22.5" and 24.5" wheels), so the existence of rear tire fenders for Class 4 and 5 "tractors" is a significant enabler for what I am going to suggest that you consider next:

Internet shop for "hot shot" trucking fenders, and carefully note the dimensions with each iteration that you find. Every Class C manufacturer is different in detailed execution, even while they appear somewhat the same at a distance from brand to brand. Same with the fenders that I recommend that you examine. They all do the same thing, but the exact dimensions and mounting schemes are idiosyncratic to the brand.

Compare your measurements of the various hot shot truck fenders you find, to the envelope of space available under your particular Class C. I'll post one or two photo examples of the type of fenders I'm talking about below.

The goal is to keep a tire blow out from taking out other equipment under the coach, which in your case was a grey tank (and would be in my case too, if I ever had a blow out). By putting a sturdy barrier between the dually tire pair and the coach bottom, it seems reasonable to assume that any ancillary damage from a tire blow out can be better confined.

(I have no affiliation with the images or companies posted above. I simply did an image search of "hot shot dually fenders" to present some visual examples to offer clarity in my suggestion to try and tuck one of these suckers inside the larger more rectangular wheel wheel space under the motorhome).