Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2021, 04:07 PM   #29

Every CAI system I have come across carried with it an increase in noise and a decrease in cold weather performance and driveability. 2 strikes against it right there.
Proper cleaning and oiling of the gauze filters will not cause them to make trouble for your o2 systems and MAF sensors. One of the reasons people buy them is not so much that they can remove them and wash them out, but because so-n-so magazine promoted it and their hero racecar driver used them - both of which earn considerable sponsorship dollars by doing so. Back before NASCAR outlawed everything but dry paper filters, the race team that I was on did back to back dyno tests with a Wix 14" x 4" round paper filter vs. same size K&N. We found no appreciable difference.. Actually the paper outperformed the K&N but by less than .01%. The K&N came right out of the factory wrapper and was pre-oiled.
Sticking with OEM and OEM equivalent will not be anything of concern if/when it comes time to get service under warranty either.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2021, 04:32 PM   #30

I have a 2011 F150 and a 2018 Wrangler. Both came with cold air intakes from the factory. With CAFE standards costing them a lot of money, why won't they come with cold air intakes. Of course where I live, the engine only gets cold air for a few months!
RonAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 05:37 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Check with Banks

Check with Banks. When I had a class C and was doing some upgrades Banks had an air system to fit. I didn't buy it because it made very little difference in mpg. I did buy and install the headers. They were so well machined that they did not require a gasket.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:49 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
If your MH didn't come with a cold air intake betting Gale Banks either offers one or will shortly.

Can't speak to anything but experience on K&N filters. Been running K&N since around 1972. Have used them in many vehicles including a number of Jeeps (NOT mall crawlers). Two had over 200K. Current Jeep is at 140K uses about a cup of oil every 4,500 miles (my oil change interval). Seems good to me???
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 02:49 PM   #33

I kept my V10 air filter stock, but I put baseball cards in the spokes of the front wheels, and the thing is like a rocket ship now! [emoji16]
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:27 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
I kept my V10 air filter stock, but I put baseball cards in the spokes of the front wheels, and the thing is like a rocket ship now! [emoji16]
I’ve been using playing card, maybe that’s why it doesn’t sound so good
SergioP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #35

What I know .

Had a Dodge 2500 V10 . Ran most of the time with our camper mounted and pulled our 5000# boat over the Cascade Mountains several times a year .

The truck transmission constantly hunted for the right gear when climbing the mtn. passes .

The Dodge dealership mechanic recommended changing to a K&N filter and installing a Cat Back performance exhaust .

Wow! It made a world of difference . Could pull the pass without up and down trans shifting. Could accelerate up hill and it would pull hard without downshifting .

So , just getting more air into the engine will not add significant power . It requires being able to exhaust that additional air volume to experience any performance benefits .

Did just that to our Tioga , plus a 5 Star Tune .

No Dyno Test , but seat of the pants tells me it was worth the investment .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 08:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
What I know .

Had a Dodge 2500 V10 . Ran most of the time with our camper mounted and pulled our 5000# boat over the Cascade Mountains several times a year .

The truck transmission constantly hunted for the right gear when climbing the mtn. passes .

The Dodge dealership mechanic recommended changing to a K&N filter and installing a Cat Back performance exhaust .

Wow! It made a world of difference . Could pull the pass without up and down trans shifting. Could accelerate up hill and it would pull hard without downshifting .

So , just getting more air into the engine will not add significant power . It requires being able to exhaust that additional air volume to experience any performance benefits .

Did just that to our Tioga , plus a 5 Star Tune .

No Dyno Test , but seat of the pants tells me it was worth the investment .
Most likely it was the cat back exhaust, not the air filter.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:43 PM   #37

I looked at cold air intake kit for my 2000 storm and 1993 ford e150.. the kits are so over priced .. and many of them suck air in from the lowest point on the vehicle.. it seems to me.. like.. if you get caught in down pour or driving and come across to often plugged storm drain.. it would just suck water in a hot eng..
Now.. as for me.. I made up my own cai .. a lot cheaper.. and run it higher ... I don't need or care to come out the front.. so.. I just make my own.. run the shortest and highest and always behind radiator up as high as possible.. maybe not true cold air.. but i run larger fans and they pull a lot of cold air.. so for less than 100.00 bucks.. it works for me..
You can always give it a try.. and if not happy save old parts..
I say experiment.. it's your coach.. measure the throttle body and slip into store or look on line.. and make up your own.. you decide how much you want to spend... how you want to route it... and if you like it..
I would wait until out of warranty.. they.. are always looking for a excuse not to pay warranty.. but a recall.. they have to pay.. if government forced to..
So.. I say.. give it a try.. on temporary bases .. leave some stuff there.. just change hoses to throttle body.. make sure everything stays away from moving parts..
Re-hook it back up.. if you are not happy..
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 12-17-2021, 11:54 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Most likely it was the cat back exhaust, not the air filter.

I believe this is a case where " the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts".

Whether one part adds greater results than the other is , in my mind , inconsequential .

What I know is when the parts are used together , in concert , is the improvement in overall performance.
Old 12-18-2021, 07:46 AM   #39

I have done exhaust upgrades where a restrictive exhaust system was replaced by a freeflowing and realized noticeable and measurable improvements. Outside of actually running dynamometer tests I've never seen nor felt a difference swapping air filters. Not even removing the filter entirely. Unless the original one was was terribly dirty and plugged up. There differences are there but they just aren't big enough to detect "seat of the pants".
I did a full dual exhaust conversion on a pickup once along with headers and when the owner picked it up he came right back with it. He said he stomped the gas when a light turned green and it spun the rear tires. He said "It never did THAT before!" and gave me a tip. Just a fun example.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 09:20 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
I believe this is a case where " the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts".

Whether one part adds greater results than the other is , in my mind , inconsequential .

What I know is when the parts are used together , in concert , is the improvement in overall performance.
At the rpm we operate, I think a quality stock air filter flows plenty of air for the less restrictive exhaust to do it's job.
Now, if you are above 5000 rpm you might get a little more flow from a K&N.
I have an AEM Dry flow in my truck. Mostly for fun as I don't think it does anything more the way I drive it.
Old 12-18-2021, 09:49 AM   #41

My beef is looking at the cylinder shaped airbox that surrounds the factory cone filter is the inlet is smaller than my fist, 2.75” ID. How can a 6.8L engine breathe thru that at WOT? At part throttle sure it can. That’s why I made my own CAI.

Then there’s a restriction in the exhaust where the Y pipe meets before the cat. Banks is the only one that offers a fix for that, but $$$$.

I did a 0 to 60 test with the exhaust connected, CAI, 5Star tune, 17.5 seconds. Then I disconnected the exhaust at the flange before the cat, totally open exhaust but still with the crappy Y pipe merge. Results? 16 seconds. That shows the exhaust has some restriction too. I doubt I’m going to chop my muffler off for a freer flowing maybe louder muffler but anyhow. It’s not like that’s going to turn it into a sports car. A couple of turbos will. Then I would need a brake upgrade, beefier transmission blah, blah, blah.
Old 12-18-2021, 11:03 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
At the rpm we operate, I think a quality stock air filter flows plenty of air for the less restrictive exhaust to do it's job.
Now, if you are above 5000 rpm you might get a little more flow from a K&N.
I have an AEM Dry flow in my truck. Mostly for fun as I don't think it does anything more the way I drive it.

Gary ,

I would agree that your rpm operating range would be more midrange due to your location .

In our case , we are going over a mountain pass which ever way we go. So we're running at the rpm upper range in order to pull the pass at a reasonable speed when towing .

Regarding air filters , 5 Star Tune asked if the MH had intake ( K&N or CAI ) and/or exhaust ( Banks or other ) mods . If either didn't provide an improvement in performance , I doubt they would need the info to program the tuner.

I'm happy with the mods I've done , suspension , steering and engine performance.

But , again , this is just my opinion .

Bill

Tags
air