Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #1

E 450 7.3 v8 cold air intake system

We have a 2021 Phoenix Cruiser E 450 with the new 7.3 gas v8. I am looking for a cold air intake system for that engine with no luck. I have tried K&N and the obvious manufactures but thought there may be an RV manufacturer that has one for this unit.
promine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2021, 10:30 AM   #2

Hi promine,

Just sharing my thoughts about "reusable performance" air filters like the K&N.

In order for that type of filter to "filter" the dirt as well as a disposable pleated paper filter, you need to spray a specific oil to attract the smaller dirt particles that would otherwise pass through. If you practice that, you need to be extremely disciplined with maintaining the cleanliness of the filter.

Many vehicles have MAP sensors in the intake system, located down-wind from the air filter, including the Ford E-series. It is conceivable that there is a risk of the air filter oil getting on that MAP sensor which will create performance issues and often set the "Check Engine" light.

It is for those reasons that I do NOT recommend a K&N reusable type of air filter for regular street use. I do see value in competition cars driven on a track for the day, without applying that oil. Once back on regular streets, I recommend replacing the K&N with a standard disposable paper pleated air filter.

In my vehicles including my 2007 E350-V10 Phoenix Cruiser, I change my air filter every 10,000 miles regardless of it's visual condition. There are circumstances where I would change the filter more frequently on an as-needed basis, for example driving through a severe dust storm.

Many years ago, we drove through Monument Valley in our first motorhome HERE. The road was dusty red and the winds swirled the red dust so much that we could not see at times. When we left there, I checked the air filter which had completely turned red. I replaced the air filter at the next opportunity.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:33 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I always make my own. Use the semi rigid aluminum dryer duct. I use a cotton gauze filter. And they don't hurt your engine, been using them for 40 years and hundreds of thousands of miles. Go to K&N website for many possibilities.
Bought a $340 K&N for my 8.9L diesel. And yes it has more power.
My V10 on my C class has a a home made CAI, and it's a rocket ship now. Hills do not slow it down.
Cost $15-20 over the cost of the filter.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I always make my own. Use the semi rigid aluminum dryer duct. I use a cotton gauze filter. And they don't hurt your engine, been using them for 40 years and hundreds of thousands of miles. Go to K&N website for many possibilities.
My V10 on my C class has a a home made CAI, and it's a rocket ship now. Hills do not slow it down.

I'm interested . Photos would be appreciated.

Thanks , Bill
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:23 AM   #5

I have the K&N kit on my V-10, I was impressed by the instructions and fit of everything and really happy with the performance.
I also have the RV tune in it and had it updated for the CAI.
Possibly contact K&N and see if they are working on a kit for the V-8?
Old 12-04-2021, 03:03 PM   #6

I have used the K&N system for years on my trucks and the cold air system does produce more power and fuel economy. The filtering quality is way better than stock. I would guess that when there are more of the E450 with the v8 out there they will offer. Thanks for the input. I must say I am impressed with this engine’s power.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:09 PM   #7

I wouldn't recommend K&N to my worst enemy. They have a great advertising campaign and that's about it.
There's an article out there where an employee at the premier air filter testing facility on the planet did some informal testing. (Normally they just aerospace, hospital, clean-room. type stuff.) K&N raked about the worst in normal and "dirty" conditions.
Plus they DO shed oil onto you mass air flow meters. About any automotive repair facility knows this and has to have equipment to clean them because of it.
Bonus: On many vehicles how the transmission shifts depends on lot more what the air flow meter reads than one would think. I have personally fixed more than a few transmission "slips" and "flares" by cleaning the MAF. And odds are great there will be a K&N in front of it. Which is nice for people expecting to fork over a ton of transmission repair money but for chrissakes, if they would just use a good quality factory style filter they wouldn't have had the issue to start with.
It's not just me howling in the wilderness, these issues are well known in the automotive repair industry. How someone hasn't sued these air filter companies out of business is a mystery.

But there will always be "believers". No matter their lack of evidence or factual data they will swear their aftermarket filters are better some way or another. Basically whatever the advertising implies.
Fun fact, pretty much every passenger vehicle since the early 1970's has come from the factory with a "cold air intake". On later models their intake is designed also to muffle noise to comply with EPA regulations. Kids like their cars to be louder and that's the real reason for aftermarket intakes. They don't actually add any performance. Unless you BELIEVE hard enough.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I made my own also. Got some aluminum sheet metal, some cardboard to make a template, a couple hours later a 3 sided box. The hood seals the top. Amazon sells a reusable filter that fits in place of the stock one. Also have a 5Star tune for it. Never did any 0-60 times before or after.

I like the intake roar it makes. Sounds kinda like an old Rochester 4 barrel with the air cleaner lid upside down. Kept the stock air box for if I sell the rv.

To each their own.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioP View Post

I like the intake roar it makes.
And that is the only reason people think these things work...
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:43 PM   #10

I switched from a K&N to an AEM Dryflow. Washable, high flow, and no oiling. Got rid of all that red spray oil.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:34 AM   #11

Dyno testing does not lie.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by promine View Post
Dyno testing does not lie.
Do you have any test data ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:40 AM   #13

Here is justone.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:49 AM   #14

E 450 7.3 v8 cold air intake system

Road and track found small gains on the dyno with the K&N.
But it’s possibly due to more airflow providing more power because of less filtering.
I’ve used K&N’s for 20 years on various vehicles with good results but I’m mindful in dusty and dirty conditions and use a filter sock. I follow the directions for re-oiling and haven’t had any sensor problems.
There are enough performance cars in the world running K&N’s with engines that are a lot more expensive than mine that I don’t think it’s the end of the world to run one.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ilters-tested/

Tags
air