Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2021, 02:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
It's OK to want more ground clearance on a Class C. Most of them come stock being too close to the ground for versatile use.

However IMHO, it should not be accomplished by raising the body and keeping little donut tires on it. The best way is to leave the body's relationship to the frame as stock ... but installing larger diameter tires so as to raise everything up, starting right from the rims!

(The above is what I did on our 24 foot E450 Class C the first time I put new tires on it. We take it offroad occasionally and I wanted a little more clearance margin just in case.)

You are right about the tires being the right place to start. I did the same as you going to the 235/85 on my E350 chassis and followed up with a regear and limited slip diff. you only get about 1-1/4" lift out of that.

Remember these F550 chassis have 19.5 rims and there are only a very few tire sizes to choose from for that rim size. All are from 32"-35" diameter and the 35" are probably too wide.

A suspension lift of another 2" can be done and work well if done RIGHT.

Weigh the truck and have a shop like Deaver Spring make an entire new spring package for front and rear. No spacer block BS.

I'm not talking about trying to make the thing an Earth Roamer or anything like that
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2021, 11:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Cabesa View Post
Excuse my crappy photoshop skills, but this would work for me.

About 27-1/2" feet overall, lifted 3-4" so you could actually have a little bit of ground clearance. Walk around queen bed in the rear, NO slides

Nobody builds one

27 1/2 foot bumper to bumper wont have a walk around queen bed, if it did you wont have much of a bathroom, to much rv length part is lost due to the truck cab/motor area, you would need 30 foot plus to get that.

A small slide with a drop down murphy bed would get you the queen bed and a nice bathroom at the 27 foot length.
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
27 1/2 foot bumper to bumper wont have a walk around queen bed, if it did you wont have much of a bathroom, to much rv length part is lost due to the truck cab/motor area, you would need 30 foot plus to get that.

A small slide with a drop down murphy bed would get you the queen bed and a nice bathroom at the 27 foot length.

What you say about the cab taking up house room is exactly the difference between the E and the F to address the OP's thread topic.

But, I did figure out how to get the bed heading length wise and get the overall length right at 27'

From back of cab, 5-1/2" dinette, 5-1/2" bath (this is 3" bigger than our Pleasure Way now) then 5' for the bed with the rest of the bed in a small slide out the rear. You could get around most of the bed.

I also took 6" out of the height. wouldn't need 7" ceiling height.

Again, excuse my lack of photo shop skills

All just a dream as no one builds it and I don't have the the $2-300K to have someone like SpaceCraft build one
Old 04-05-2021, 12:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
.... ....
However IMHO, it should not be accomplished by raising the body and keeping little donut tires on it. The best way is to leave the body's relationship to the frame as stock ... but installing larger diameter tires so as to raise everything up, starting right from the rims!
Thatís basically what dbldesign does, only a 2.5Ē lift with 42s installed ...
bandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:13 PM   #19

See these RV's https://www.xplorermotorhome.com/
SuperDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:34 PM   #20

Why don't the OPer just get one of these that I just paid $75,000 brand new and modify it for off road, there is a company in California that takes class C's and will do any custom modification to make it for off road use.

I removed the vinyl strips on mine and soon going to have Rino X done on the bottom and some cool custom graphics to give it the off road rugged look but not for off road use.

It would be cheaper and the length would only be 25 foot with a queen bed and a large bathroom.

https://youtu.be/kaRsSLUqQD8

Here is one of the conversion this company does in California, they will also convert it to 4x4 and go as far as you want or do very little as to your funds.

https://youtu.be/htmavO6Ih5w

New BT Cruiser 5240 $75,000, 4x4 conversion with a lift kit, new bumper with winch and some Rino X on the outside $35,000-40,000 ?

$110,000 total ?
Old 04-05-2021, 01:42 PM   #21

This guy also took a used class C and made it into a offroad 4x4..

https://youtu.be/kRHdAIidg9Q
Old 04-13-2021, 06:45 PM   #22

Can't speak for a E450 setup but our F550 based Renegade Veracruz is stout. Love the 6.7 Power Stroke and the cab is quiet and comfortable.
Electrified is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis