Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2021, 03:00 PM   #1

E350 front hitch spare tire.

Hello, new to Class C.
Bought a 2019 Thor Quantum 22 and was surprised to see no spare tire underneath, or on the bumper.
So I bought a tire and wheel and carry it on the rear hitch.
I tow a boat so it is in the way.
I am considering putting a hitch on the front for the spare, but I question whether it will block the air flow to the radiator?
It has the V10 and there is a large radiator, but running engines hot doesn’t make me excited.
Anyone run a tire out front on one of these?
I am in NY, we don’t get 100 degree weather, but it will hit 95 and we use the truck A/C.
Also towing a 20 foot boat.
Thanks for replies!
Bob
camp chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2021, 04:18 PM   #2

I also tow a boat with my class C. I modified a under mount tire carrier that was for a camper for my E350. Worked out very well. It’s something you can look into and see if you have room for it
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:29 PM   #3

Ranger Z

I looked underneath when I bought the camper, the black water pipe crosses about where the spare would normally be on a truck. does not have room for a spare at the back. When I had a TT I had room and was considering stowing underneath.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:39 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
I have a 2019 Jayco Redhawk. I installed a front hitch receiver and use it to carry my spare tire. Purchased the hitch receiver and tire/wheel carrier from e trailer.

I have a scan gauge installed so I can monitor engine coolant and transmission fluid temps. I have tested with and without the spare on the front in some pretty hot down south weather. I found running with the spare up front does not cause any measurable increase in the coolant/fluid temps. My coolant temp usually runs right around 200 and trans fluid 200 to 210.

Added benefit: The added weight of the tire/wheel out front seems to help ride and handling a little. My rig is tail heavy.

Hope this helps.
oldecmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:18 PM   #5

No problems with airflow/cooling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fronthitch.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	324824   Click image for larger version

Name:	fronthitch2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	324825  

Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:14 PM   #6

Hi camp chef,

I imagine the front hitch will also serve "boat launching" quite ideally! Maybe more beneficial than carrying a spare tire there. The distance between the rear axle and rear trailer hitch introduces some extremely bad boat-launching angles that a front hitch eliminates.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:40 PM   #7

Question A little warm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldecmech View Post
I have a 2019 Jayco Redhawk. I installed a front hitch receiver and use it to carry my spare tire. Purchased the hitch receiver and tire/wheel carrier from e trailer.

I have a scan gauge installed so I can monitor engine coolant and transmission fluid temps. I have tested with and without the spare on the front in some pretty hot down south weather. I found running with the spare up front does not cause any measurable increase in the coolant/fluid temps. My coolant temp usually runs right around 200 and trans fluid 200 to 210.

Added benefit: The added weight of the tire/wheel out front seems to help ride and handling a little. My rig is tail heavy.

Hope this helps.
I too have a Scan Gauge on my E-350 {Nexus Phantom 23} and your temps seem high to me. If you aren't doing so already you might want to consider going with pure synthetic oil and tans fluid and your differential would benefit as well. Shortly after I bought our coach used {with 6,205 miles on it} I switched everything out to pure synthetic and saw an immediate 5% - 10 degree improvement in my running temps.

I lived in southern Arizona for 15 years, the last 7 running the coach in temps up to 115. If your engine and trans temps are already above 200 you don't have much room to work before they can become prohibitively high. I typically tow a 6 X 10' {8' high} cargo trailer loaded to around 2,600# and run near or at my GVWR of 11,500#. Typical temps are in the low 190's and when they do exceed 200 they quickly drop back once I get off of the serious grades.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:58 AM   #8

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info gentlemen. hitch is on order.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:49 PM   #9

I know I read it somewhere, but I cannot find it now..... When Ford went to the 6 speed 6R140 transmissions, they increased the normal operating temperature of the fluid with a temperature control valve in the valve body to about 200F in order to increase fuel economy (thinner fluid) and also have more consistent (controlled) operation of the transmission.

In any case, I have a scangauge and when I have the spare tire mounted on the front it seems that the trans fluid temp runs about the same as before, about 200F.

Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:08 AM   #10

Before getting discouraged with lack of QC and long waits, I tried to order a Nexus Rebel 30R. I wanted the entertainment center in the cab over bed area. Nexus told me they could not do it since it would put too much weight on the front axle. I suggest you weigh your front axle and see if you have the extra weight capacity available.
gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:02 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a Ford Diagram, (maybe in the Ford OM?) that shows "area to not block airflow"

Tags
hitch, tire