Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2021, 07:28 AM   #1

E450 vs F450

There are cutaway chassis vehicles from Ford in both configurations......
Lots of E450 cutaways........some, maybe lots of F450 cutaways.

I sometimes wonder why not shut down the E platform and migrate to the F platform only. The cockpit, ergonomics, parts etc. seem to be abundant.

I think we can agree the F150 is Ford’s best selling vehicle, certainly it’s repeatedly North America’s best selling pickup, and the larger F series cockpits are copycats and larger than the E series.....no doghouse.....which some people complain are somewhat restricted for space.

The overall RV vehicle on an F450 would only be inches longer. I’ve never heard an official statement from Ford, but it seems a reasonable possibility.

Just sayin’.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2021, 08:52 AM   #2

Oh how I wish some of this were true. I love the look of the truck body and you could get factory 4x4. But here are some of the problems . . .

The F cab is actually 31 inches longer than the E cab. Some of that is ahead of the axle and some behind. The ahead portion makes your wall to wall turning circle worse that the E cab. Then the behind portion warrants a longer wheel base to get the same cab to rear axle numbers. This longer wheel base makes that turning circle even worse.

Those numbers get even worse if you want something bigger than a regular cab. If you want a trim package nicer than an XL/XLT, Ford only provides them in the longer cabs. Your turning circle got worse again.

There may be no dogjhouse but that full length console makes it damn near impossible to climb out of the from seat and CRAWL to he house space. We have sat in a couple of Super C models built on truck chassis (Ford and Dodge) and pretty much determined this was a deal breaker. I don't want to pull over and get out for the wife to use the toilet or make a sandwich

Also, do Ford actually make a F series cutaway? They make every cab/chassis configuration you can think of but I have never seen a cutaway on their upfitter/body builder site.

I love the trucks, and wanted to go that route, but just too many things don't work quite as well as the E-series.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:54 AM   #3

What Chassis?

First off, the F-450 Super Duty is a Truck Cab chassis, not a Van Cutaway chassis as the E-450 is. The F-450 Regular Cab bumper to back of Cab length is over 2 ft greater than the E-450 Cutaway. And a base F-450 Cab chassis costs at least $5K more than a similarly optioned E-450 Cutaway.

Beside a more spacious cab the main advantages of the F-450 Cab chassis is it has a greater GVWR and GCWR and can be ordered with 4WD and the 6.7L Power Stroke® V8 Turbo Diesel. It can also come with a Regular Cab, a SuperCab, or a Crew Cab.

In my opinion, a coach built on the F-450 chassis would be a Super C and in another price category than the E-450. Killing the E-450 would not make economic sense for Ford nor the RV buying public or the box truck rental businesses such as U-Haul.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:22 AM   #4

All to many 30-32 foot class C motorhomes are darn near at max capacity with nothing more than full fuel and water tanks. I have seen a few F450 class C in that 32 foot category and to me it makes sense. As mentioned it allows both the diesel or gas options and more pay load. Shorter, lighter weight rigs the F450 is overkill. There’s room and need for both platforms. As far as cost is concerned if I was in the market for a 30-34 foot class C I’d be very willing to pay more for the F450 so I wasn’t over loaded.
Josephls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Cabesa View Post
Oh how I wish some of this were true. I love the look of the truck body and you could get factory 4x4. But here are some of the problems . . .

The F cab is actually 31 inches longer than the E cab. Some of that is ahead of the axle and some behind. The ahead portion makes your wall to wall turning circle worse that the E cab. Then the behind portion warrants a longer wheel base to get the same cab to rear axle numbers. This longer wheel base makes that turning circle even worse.

Those numbers get even worse if you want something bigger than a regular cab. If you want a trim package nicer than an XL/XLT, Ford only provides them in the longer cabs. Your turning circle got worse again.

There may be no dogjhouse but that full length console makes it damn near impossible to climb out of the from seat and CRAWL to he house space. We have sat in a couple of Super C models built on truck chassis (Ford and Dodge) and pretty much determined this was a deal breaker. I don't want to pull over and get out for the wife to use the toilet or make a sandwich

Also, do Ford actually make a F series cutaway? They make every cab/chassis configuration you can think of but I have never seen a cutaway on their upfitter/body builder site.
I know this is a photo of a cargo box vehicle, but it shows the F450 regular cab cutaway from what I can see.
Yup.....probably no way to get from the cab direct to the house, however the topic of poor legroom in the E450 would not be an issue. Guess you can’t have both.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EF317CDE-4BFF-428A-8960-175F109077FF.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	320067   Click image for larger version

Name:	C8E8C355-DC9B-421E-A755-40D9FD3D57A9.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	320068  

Click image for larger version

Name:	C9A2A8FA-465F-44F6-9FAB-A40C56C34896.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	320069   Click image for larger version

Name:	239B6D70-8D12-4934-A5A9-9FA27A0AB5F9.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	320070  

Old 03-04-2021, 02:07 PM   #6

I previously had a Toyota pick-up truck chassis and currently have an E350 van chassis. I feel the E-Series van chassis is better than an F-series pick-up truck chassis by a lot because I would much rather have 2.5 more feet of "house" then of "hood" and deal with the dog house.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I know this is a photo of a cargo box vehicle, but it shows the F450 regular cab cutaway from what I can see.
Yup.....probably no way to get from the cab direct to the house, however the topic of poor legroom in the E450 would not be an issue. Guess you can’t have both.
Nope, that is cab and chassis. In three of the four photos you can see the back window of the cab.

A cutaway has NO rear wall at all. You can also see the shadow of the cab roof on the box
Old 03-04-2021, 03:06 PM   #8

My bad.....you are correct.

I could blame it on COVID, but I guess my eyes aren’t what they used to be.

That’s the end of this discussion. As you were.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:13 PM   #9

Quote:
A cutaway has NO rear wall at all
Do you have a picture of a 2021/22 F-450 Cutaway? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2021, 05:26 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thats why they are called "chassis cabs" its a chassis with an enclosed "cab"
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:05 PM   #11

Quote:

From my post above

To clarify, I don't think they make one
Old 03-04-2021, 07:24 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Its all about price point for the MH and about profit for Ford.

The E350/450 now share many items with the F-series to reduce cost and keep the E-series in production.

IMO the lower end Class-Cs are not worth what you pay for them. Adding the higher cost F-series chassis to a house built with poor materials isnt going to help sales. There could be a market between the higher cost Cs and the super Cs, but is there enough to justify the trouble?
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:41 PM   #13

Ford is also offering a Stripped, E350, E450 chassis. No cab at all.

I think they are invested in keeping them around.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Ford is also offering a Stripped, E350, E450 chassis. No cab at all.

I think they are invested in keeping them around.
Yes, and I think that the Thor Axis/Vegas is the only RV using it.

Tags
e450