Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #1

Electric surge protector and tire pressure monitor

I have a 2011 Winnebago View. I would like to get some recommendations on a surge protector and a tire pressure sensor/monitor.
There seem to be quite a range of types and prices on these items when I checked on Amazon.
aptao is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #2

Progressive lifetime warranty is the way to go.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Progressive full meal deal, and This is the one item that you do not want to go cheepskate on!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Progressive Industries for the surge protector. It a great unit with a lifetime warranty.

There are many TPMS out there that work very well. I chose the TST 507 for my coach. It is very accurate, easy to change batteries, and the customer service is first rate.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:15 AM   #5

One thing to remember about Progressive........DO NOT LOOSE YOUR RECEIPT. Unless you can prove that you are the original owner, your lifetime warranty will go out the window. This is what I was told, just last week, by a tech at Progressive
ccssid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:37 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
X2 on the TST507 and Progressive EMS.Have the hardwired system and it caught a high voltage problem at last CG
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:49 AM   #7

Thanks, I don't understand about high and low voltage problems at campgrounds and what effect would have and/or damage to a RV unit. I kind of understand about power surge.
From What I gathered so far, Progressive is the preferred brand and EMS (more expensive) is better a better way to go. What about the pros and cons of hardwire vs portable?
Old 10-11-2017, 07:51 AM   #8

Thanks. It is hard to install or should it be done by a mechanic?
Old 10-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #9

2x on Progressive unit....no issue with "limited" lifetime warranty--original owner works for me--compared to one-year units--choose wisely "grasshopper." As for hard-wire vs portable--lots of pro and cons. I prefer hard-wire but it does add "complexity" if you ever have a problem with unit. Installing the hard-wired unit can also be a challenge depending on how your rig's shore power is wired. Some owners also like to install downstream from transfer switch so genset is protected too--not really necessary IMHO. Install is pretty simple if you have good access to location. If you are not comfortable with electrical--let a professional do--perhaps not a CW "professional" though.....they will want to sell you the one-year model...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptao View Post
Thanks. It is hard to install or should it be done by a mechanic?
Get a portable 30 amp Progressive EMS (PT30X model) - you can plug that in yourself. The tire pressure monitoring systems can also be installed by you. You program the sensor and screw into the tire valve stem. The inside part can mounted to the dash with tape or hook and loop material. Easy peasy on both.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Progressive hardwired after transfer switch before breaker panel is normally very easy. Third coach I have done it and there always seems to be enough wire exiting the transfer switch to mount the unit before the breaker panel.
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:57 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
As far as I am concerned the Progressive is the only way to go. It's a little more money but well worth it, life time warranty.

I'm using the Tireminder Smart TPMS and like it. I had a problem with two of the six sensors and after a call to the company I received two new sensors in a matter of days. No problems since then.
jimintomah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:03 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
I found the installation of my hardwired Progressive EMS pretty basic. If you are concerned check out the various Youtube videos showing the install. While the portable version is the easier setup I like the security and visiblity of the hardwired display inside the camper.
Just about every thing has a circuit board nowadays(dont i sound like an old geezer) and designed to work within certain parameters. The EMS helps to make sure they are not exposed to unstable hi/lows that could cause premature failure
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #14

another vote for the progressive unit. Very pleased with mine and I had to bite the bullet on cost, but very worth it. I opted for the portable unit and have a small lock setup to secure it at campgrounds. With all the electronics onboard Class C's today, you cannot afford a voltage spike or over/under voltage situation that will cost a lot to repair.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure, electric