RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2021, 05:39 PM   #1

Electrical issues in the cold

We have a 2006 Coachmen Freelander, class C, 29'.

So the last time the outlets stopped working it turned out to be a simple circuit breaker that we'd tripped. Now neither the outlets nor the microwave are live and we haven't yet figured out what the problem is. We have heat, so we're doing okay here in chilly Texas, but having checked both the circuit board and the fuses, we're not sure what to look at next. Ideas? We have no shore power, of course, so we're running the generator to keep the batteries going - but it would be nice to be able to have the rest of the rig back on line. Help?
Annye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2021, 05:42 PM   #2

120 volt inverter breaker, located on the side of the inverter?

What about the generator breaker?
Old 02-18-2021, 05:43 PM   #3

Have you checked the GFCI outlets to make sure one of them doesn't need reset?
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
Have you checked the GFCI outlets to make sure one of them doesn't need reset?
GFCIs are Not typically used on a microwave.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #5

The Inverter hasn't been turned on this season (it was installed somewhere hopelessly inconvenient). Or is there another Inverter that I've not thought of? I can imagine missing that. Near the batteries under the stair?
Old 02-19-2021, 04:17 PM   #6

If there is an inverter associated with getting power to the outlets (and the microwave), I don't know of it, but I'm willing to consider it.

The only switch on the generator seems simply to be its on/off switch.

We have time to figure this out - we expect to be without shore power for several more days.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:05 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
This "could" be your problem, but it's just one theory ...

Chances are your RV uses circuit breakers that have two levers and two circuits per breaker and the microwave outlet and the circuit for the other outlets are on the same double breaker. In particular in the WFCO breaker boxes that are common in RVs the connection between the double breaker and the bus bar can overheat and this causes the double breaker connection to the bus bar to fail. Best case is that just the breaker can be replaced and resolve the issue. Sometimes the overheat just damages the breaker, and a new breaker fixes it. Sometimes the bus bar the breaker plugs into also gets heat damage or the plastic around it gets heat damage and then things become more involved to fix the problem.

This happened on my Winnebago Vista 27N, in my case just replacing the breaker fixed it. New breaker cost $ 22. In my case no labor, I have electrical experience and was able to fix it myself.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:32 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outlets and MW can all be tripped on a GFCI Receptacle, have you checked/reset them? Should be at least two, typical bathroom and Kitchen (sometimes on bottom of cabinet over sink, bend over, LOOK UP)? 120Vac Breakers in Distribution Panel? Breaker on GEN itself (near START switch on GEN)?
Old 02-20-2021, 11:21 AM   #9

Still no joy. Only one GFCI reset that we've been able to find, and that in the bathroom. It did nothing.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:23 AM   #10

I have no electrical experience, so, sadly, this is Greek to me.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:23 PM   #11

My inverter has what's called pass-thru 120 volt power, if one of the 2 breakers kick off then I lose power to the circuits that run thru the inverter.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:49 PM   #12

Microwaves are always on a separate circuit and rarely on a gfci. If the air conditioner won't turn on either, it is a source voltage issue. It could be the generator breaker or an inverter pass through breaker issue. But, air conditioners and microwaves are rarely on the inverter of a class C because there isn't enough battery capacity.

All onan generators will have a breaker and sometimes they are well hidden. The manuals for Onan generators are available online. The links below are to the manual site and to the manual for my generator. If you look at figure 1.2 for my generator, below the on off switch there are the words circuit breaker and an arrow pointing around the side of the switch box. The breaker is hard to see even knowing where it is at. It needs to be turned off and back on to reset it. The manual to your specific generator will be similar.

https://www.cummins.com/rv-generator-manuals
https://www.cummins.com/sites/defaul.../0981-0159.pdf
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:53 PM   #13

To use my generator, I have to plug the shore power cord into the generator outlet. That's the #1 thing that I forget to do.
DonaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:43 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One owner found his 2nd GFCI after owning rig 10yrs.... ON SIDE of bed base?

Tags
electric, electrical