Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2017, 10:27 PM   #1

Electrical Outlet Issues

I know nothing about electricity, so excuse the incorrect verbiage.

I have a Chinook Premier. Recently, when I have been using my outlets, it all shuts off suddenly. The breaker doesn't flip, just the GCFI outlet needs to be reset.

I am usually just using a sewing machine (same one I've been using in here for the last 9 months) plus charging a phone or computer with a few lights on. Nothing more.

The first time it happened, I was using the generator for power. I turned it off, then on, and pressed the reset on the gcfi and everything powered on for a few seconds and then off. I "fixed" the issue by replacing all the 15 amp fuses.

The second time it happened, a few weeks later, I was plugged in to 30 amp shore power. I was charging a handheld vacuum and a computer. I pulled all the fuses and replaced 2 random 15 amp fuses. Plugged in again, and it was working again. (I have no idea what I'm doing)

This time, I was running the generator to power a sewing machine and charge a laptop. I'd been using this power without any changes for over an hour and it shorted. I pulled all the fuses again and restarted the generator a few times, but it's not back on yet.

The only electricity that stops working is the outlets. Everything (to my knowledge) else still works.

Please help! But explain it in simple terms
Lek086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2017, 06:43 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
The GFCI socket is special, in that it compares the current going out on the power leg, with the power coming back on the neutral line. If it detects that they don't match, then it trips. The theory is if there is power going out, and not coming back, then that power must be going to ground somewhere else. That 'somewhere else' indicates a shock hazard.

Outlets are arranged like a train, so the first one the engine is the GFCI, and all the other ones in the train get their power from the engine, so are therefore protected as well.

GFCI's are reported to occasionally go bad over time, but I've never had one go bad and this wouldn't be the first thing I'd suspect. However, they're only about 20 bucks, so it's easier to just replace it.

If this was my coach, I'd open up all of the outlets in the train, and inspect/tighten the electrical connections of all of the sockets to the wires. Some of your sockets however might have just pressed wire connections (there isn't a screw to tighten, as the wire is inserted it just clamps on to the wire by itself like one of those kid finger things), so if you see that the wire is loose, replace the socket itself.

You should also check with a voltmeter, that the power feed to the GFCI itself, is correct. That's from your power cord thru your transfer switch if you have one, then to the circuit breaker box, then to the GFCI socket. Make sure that the power, neutral, and ground wires are intact and have the correct voltage on them.

Power leg to Neutral = 120vac
Power leg to Ground = 120vac
Neutral to Ground = 0vac
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would first just replace the GFI. Had trouble this winter south and did just that. It maybe more but it's a good cheap start. If it was just the sewing machine I would suspect it, but you have a problem with out uses.

LEN
Old 05-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #4

Can I pick up a GFCI from somewhere like Ace Hardware or does it need to be RV specific?
Old 05-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Take a picture of the wires before mushrooming( all power off). Then take it with you or take a couple over all pics and show the sales person. Ace is good.

LEN
Old 05-16-2017, 10:52 AM   #6

I was reading a couple other help articles and one suggested that the outside outlet could be the problem. Situation 2 & 3 it was definitely raining when it shorted. The 1st time, it might have been raining, I can't remember. I just checked the outlets outside and 1 has a stream of water running straight into it through the outlet cover. Would that Outlet be connected to this gfci? I have 5 outlets inside that are on the gfci already (a video I watched said a gfci can have up to 5 outlets connected it).
Old 05-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lek086 View Post
I was reading a couple other help articles and one suggested that the outside outlet could be the problem. Situation 2 & 3 it was definitely raining when it shorted. The 1st time, it might have been raining, I can't remember. I just checked the outlets outside and 1 has a stream of water running straight into it through the outlet cover. Would that Outlet be connected to this gfci? I have 5 outlets inside that are on the gfci already (a video I watched said a gfci can have up to 5 outlets connected it).

Well okay with this new info.......yes it is very likely that this socket is on the same circuit. It needs to be on a GFCI circuit since it's outside, and would suspect to keep costs down they'd just daisy chain them all off that one GFCI.

Water into the socket would definitely cause an alternative path to ground, and would trip the GFCI.

Waterproof that outlet better.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:50 PM   #8

The pull out fuses are for the 12 volt system, and have nothing to do with the 120v electrical receptacles (household type) or the GFCI. If you are pulling or replacing the small blue 12v fuses, you are wasting your time.

The GFCI tripping is either a bad GFCI (likely in light of the fact you have been using the same stuff for a long time now) or there is a ground fault (ie micro amounts of current leaking off to ground). Electric motors like the sewing machine and GFCI receptacles, typically do not play well together, and indeed the sewing machine could be causing the problem.

Re-reading, I see the issue with the water and the outside receptacle. You may need a new cover for the outside receptacle, with new foam weather stripping inside it, to keep out the water.

Charles
Old 05-16-2017, 07:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lek086 View Post
Can I pick up a GFCI from somewhere like Ace Hardware or does it need to be RV specific?
Some RV's require thin GFCI outlets as they don't have full depth electrical boxes, most GFCI outlets are full depth devices so you may need to shop around to find one that fits in your available space. The easiest way to see is to pull your old one out.

Also note some GFCI outlets have a light that lights up to show they are tripped, some have no light, and some have a light to show they are working. If you have other GFCI's with lights on them, I would suggest getting new one where the light indicates the same way (tripped / working).
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical