Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2018, 11:25 AM   #15

That was a good read, but I dissagree with their 12.7 volts, not as the resting voltage anyway.
Maybe im losing my mind, but I always found good batterys to be at 12.5 after they settle down.
Im going to keep an open mind and do some testing. Im going to check the battery under the hood of my E450 in a while. It's been at rest since last night at around 6pm.
Rollinghobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2018, 12:13 PM   #16

Just checked the battery under my hood and it showed 12.5 volts, then I called North Start Starter and asked Tim, the owner, what he thought about this, and he said that he agree's with me.
Then I called a good friend of mine who like me is also a retired mechanic, and he said he agree's with me also.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:28 PM   #17

Just to clarify, what we are saying basically is that if you check your battery voltage after your vehicle sits over night, it should be at 12.5 volts.
If you charge a battery, then let it sit over night, it should also be at 12.5 volts.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollinghobo View Post
Just to clarify, what we are saying basically is that if you check your battery voltage after your vehicle sits over night, it should be at 12.5 volts.
If you charge a battery, then let it sit over night, it should also be at 12.5 volts.
Are you disconnecting the parasitic loads that every vehicle places on a battery for your overnight test ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollinghobo View Post
That was a good read, but I dissagree with their 12.7 volts, not as the resting voltage anyway.
Maybe im losing my mind, but I always found good batterys to be at 12.5 after they settle down.
Im going to keep an open mind and do some testing. Im going to check the battery under the hood of my E450 in a while. It's been at rest since last night at around 6pm.
I have four 6v golf cart Lead-acid batteries powering my off-grid cabin, in a series/parallel circuit, putting out 12v they are being charged by 606 watts of PV panels on the roof through a Morningstar 45amp charge controller.

The batteries run the 12v water pump and macerator pump and 220 watts of lights. I can run everything all night and the batteries never go below 12.5v. They are usually charging at around 13.7v. they go into 'float' at 12.7.

I don't know if Golf cart batteries are any different than a Marine/RV deep cycle (other than the voltage) but mine never seem to go below 12.7 at a steady state.

Not that it makes much difference, as long as everything runs
Jmac00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:05 AM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1st trick to getting the 12.7 is CLEAN TERMINALS and proper acid/ water mix levels; can get 80-90% in a couple of hours (3-4), 1-hour high charge 4.4 and 3-hr trickle 13.4; but that last 10-20% (may take) 8-24-hours. A "Smart Charger" may do it faster w/ either timer circuit or temp sensor and switches between high and trickle to keep battery temp down and prevent boiling.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:16 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
re: battery charge/ clean teminals

The trick on clean terminals can be proven if you read a battery hydrometer daily/ every few days, (say in a car); one day you will get a sharp drop in the charge, and visually see no problem UNTIL you pull terminals and find a slight white lead oxide coating that you could NOT even see w/ terminals installed; cleaning this, the charge will jump right back up the next day in normal use.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:24 AM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
BTW, in the FILEs area of this page, I have uploaded a STATE OF CHARGE chart in the ELECTRICAL folder in PDF format; TIP: Take that 12.5v battery and put on trickle for 12-24-hours, and (then) check its voltage; YES, that last 10-20% is harder/ slower to get. http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=5
Old 10-04-2018, 09:07 AM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
(Typo) "1-hour high charge 4.4..." should read "14.4vdc"
Old 10-04-2018, 12:18 PM   #24

If you don’t have a good volt meter, get one and learn to use it. You can answer most of your questions and find the cause of this type of problem easily. Turn the load on and use the volt meter with the load in place. Measure the voltage at the posts of the battery first. Then measure voltage across the load. If battery voltage is good, even 11.5, and voltage across a load is several volts lower, you have an interconnect problem. Measured voltage across interconnects should be in the millivolt range. The voltage measured across a long wire run could easily measure a few tenths of a volt under normal operating conditions with significant current. Measure the voltage drop from each battery post to the clamp on that post. It should be insignificant. If corrosion is a problem, you will see a voltage drop. The same for closed switches and relays. The critical problem is almost always found in one place. It could be in the positive or negative portion of the loop from the battery through the load and back the opposite battery terminal. Measuring voltages in a properly operating system is worth the effort to understand what normal operation looks like. A voltmeter should be high on the accessory list, right after a tire gage.

By measuring the voltage on the battery posts with and without the load turned on, you can assess the health and state of charge of the battery. Measuring post voltage close to the end of charging will allow you to evaluate the charging system functionality. Batteries operate properly and give good service life only when properly charged. Maintaining proper electrolyte levels in wet batteries is critical. A hydrometer is the best way to evaluate state of charge with a wet battery. Measure the density of each cell to see if the battery needs to be equalized. Temperature is a critical factor when charging.
Mudsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudsock View Post
If you don’t have a good volt meter, get one and learn to use it. You can answer most of your questions and find the cause of this type of problem easily. Turn the load on and use the volt meter with the load in place. Measure the voltage at the posts of the battery first. Then measure voltage across the load. If battery voltage is good, even 11.5, and voltage across a load is several volts lower, you have an interconnect problem. Measured voltage across interconnects should be in the millivolt range. The voltage measured across a long wire run could easily measure a few tenths of a volt under normal operating conditions with significant current. Measure the voltage drop from each battery post to the clamp on that post. It should be insignificant. If corrosion is a problem, you will see a voltage drop. The same for closed switches and relays. The critical problem is almost always found in one place. It could be in the positive or negative portion of the loop from the battery through the load and back the opposite battery terminal. Measuring voltages in a properly operating system is worth the effort to understand what normal operation looks like. A voltmeter should be high on the accessory list, right after a tire gage.

By measuring the voltage on the battery posts with and without the load turned on, you can assess the health and state of charge of the battery. Measuring post voltage close to the end of charging will allow you to evaluate the charging system functionality. Batteries operate properly and give good service life only when properly charged. Maintaining proper electrolyte levels in wet batteries is critical. A hydrometer is the best way to evaluate state of charge with a wet battery. Measure the density of each cell to see if the battery needs to be equalized. Temperature is a critical factor when charging.
I live in my rig, off grid, boondocking, so no power except the generator and alternator.
The converter will charge to 13.6 max, and the alternator charges at about 14.2.
If I did plug in somewhere and top it off it would be back to what it is now within a couple of hours at best. Been there, done that...
I would like to give my batts an equalizing charge once in a while, I simply have no place to plug my charger in, except the motorhome, and that means running the generator for hours, just to be back where im at in maybe 2 hours max.
I run ham radio gear and a 12 volt tv, so I use alot of current. I just have to charge up the batts with my gen and converter alot.
Im an advance class ham radio operator, and a retired mechanic, so I know about voltage drop testing, and I clean my battery terminals and check the electrolite levels weekly.
What I need is a better converter and solar.

Tags
electric, electrical