Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2023, 11:36 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
UNLESS color change observed, Trans fluid (Mercon V= synthetic) usually good for 100k miles?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2023, 11:57 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First, hopefully NO WARRANTY WORK REQUIRED ON ENGINE. Good Luck. Otherwise, look for TRUCK SHOPS NEAR RV DEALERS, and call and ask questions about Ford Warranty
Old 01-07-2023, 08:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
So if you wait to change trans synthetic oil at 100k as posted above.. that will be in about 33yrs.. would you wait that long ? That is just an example of how it's time that is more important factor in maintenance.. there are a lot of variables in maintenance.. but in rv.. time should be weighed strongly in you maintenance plan.. heavy truck shops see trucks that burn thru 33,000 miles in one month. So you may have to more forcibly push them to change fluids.. 33yrs is far to long to wait to change fluids.. just an example..
Good luck and keep us posted
Just made 20 years on the transmission fluid in our rig. The Dexron III shows a clear red color as I type this. The manual shows it to be changed at 50k miles, nothing about time interval like it does with oil change, brake flush, etc,,,.

Edited to add: OP, read the manual. It'll tell you specific things that need to be done. As far as the engine itself with 45k miles, probably not much that needs to be done except for the routine stuff mentioned in this thread. Oil and filter, air filter, coolant, serpentine and other belts replacement would be the top 4 things I'd make sure had been done within that mileage and time. Rubbery stuff like hoses and vacuum lines need to be at least checked to make sure they aren't deteriorated.

The above is addressing the engine itself. The rest of the chassis has maintenance requirements as well.
Old 01-07-2023, 08:48 AM   #18

Yup, I have the F600, both chassis have the same engine and transmission. Oh ya, I've certainly been in contact with Ford. Briefly, one of the shift solenoids is not working or getting signal. I'm getting 3 out of 10 gears. Ford didn't believe me either that dealers with the commercial heavy duty badge would not work on my RV. They can't find one either, in my state. Getting a shop to work on my RV is not the problem. Ford will only allow warranty work from a Ford dealer. So I'm paying now and still fighting with Ford about getting reimbursed.
Hurst98503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:53 AM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Routine maintenance service does NOT have to be done by a Ford Dealer, but would need to be clearly documented, if ever in dispute/question. Oil Changes can be possible by qualified MOBILE MECHANIC, or local TRUCK SHOP should service OK.. make calls, if they do not, see if they KNOW who might? FORD TRUCK HOTLINE, as listed in Owner Manual, should be able to refer you to someone for authorized engine/chassis/ warranty/ recall. Good Luck.
Old 01-07-2023, 11:02 AM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do see the 2018 Maintenance Schedule says "(48-mo/60,000-miles) Transmission Fluid and Filter (if required by Allison)"

Tags
engine, maintenance