Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to johnnytugs1 Send a message via Yahoo to johnnytugs1
wow, retired and you still have a honey do list to beat the band. so are you really retired then? or do you just work for ....way......less. i can definitely relate. i got the rad covered, the calipers are rusted from sitting but i'll try to clean'm up another way. how about a wire wheel? i'll have to take another look at the trans to see what it is. the a/c as far as i know is original, i have the controls in the dash. there wasn't a lick of juice in the system. the compressor is locked. there are a bunch of salvage yards around where i work and a few not to far from the house. once i get squared away when i get home i'll start inquiring. i left the phone book home to so i can't find out about tranny rebuilders. but the engine is getting done so yaho0o0o0o.
JT
johnnytugs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey Tugs, see your post. I retired in '06, 32 yrs. banking, 2yrs. hotshot trucking, I liked it DW did'nt. Too many days on the road for me (her).
So I started doing what I have been doing all my life, working on car,trucks, and lately RV's. Right now I have a trans job, eng. job,and a brake job to do.
The money is good, buys gas and toys for the Pace Arrow. The inside of the caliper is what is important, pop it open, if the bore and the piston is pitted and rusted out, toss then and get fresh ones. If they look good inside then clean them up. Wire brush and solvent,(non petroleum type). Do not use any type of lube that is not intened for the braking system. While you have access change all of the a/c o-rings in the system, much easier with the eng out. Don't forget to check the master cylinder and rear brakes at some point. Make sure that the rear wheel cylinders are in good shape, whatever is wrong with front will more than likely duplicate in the rear. Have fun!
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:26 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
now thats a resume, 32 years of banking and wrenching. you don't see that often. i have a question for you. i have 2 batteries for the MH that are dead. can i revive them somehow? i heard if you put'm on a slow charge it can bring'm back. is that a special charger? the sides of the batteries are puffed out a little, i always heard that means it was overcharged. but the p.o. said they weren't. another theory was they froze. any suggestions? i get home wed : ) aybe i can get some interior work done on the old girl.
thanks,
JT
Old 02-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Started in banking in '74, by 1980 rumor was that banking was going electronic big time. I was always into autos so I got a degree in Auto Tech, started a part time mobile repair business. It took the bank 20 more years to really get high tech. I retired in '06 just when they finally went to image processing and the future did'nt look good. To the batts, it depends on how long they have been sitting at a discharged state. The quick way to check is to take them to a Auto Zone, Chief, Kragen type of store and they will check them real quick. If you want try charging them, set the charger for 2 amps for about 4 hours. Most of the time it's just a waste of time though. I just picked up a new project for a friend of mine. I will start it today, one bad valve in the head. 95 Trooper, it will be a toad for his RV. Back to batteries, I don't play around with the batts, I have to have at least one great batt. If you are a boondocker, all batts should be the best. How is the engine work going? Have you found a trans shop?
J
Old 02-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
do i need to have them full of elecrolyte acid, water, should i try to charge them first? anything?
JT
Old 02-04-2010, 01:00 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Add distilled water, then try to charge them.
J
Old 02-20-2010, 04:32 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
well mother nature stuck it to me again. first 26" then another 18" i can barely see my rig. i did dig out my trans and got a few pictures. i wanted to at least get 1 little accomplishment done on it but no such luck. the guy doin the motor work has been working crazy hrs. so i'm not sure where he is on that. i know the intake and valve covers are off. here are the pics of the trans. any idea which trans it is? i know it's a hydromatic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top view.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	3072   Click image for larger version

Name:	tranny bottom 2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	3073  

Click image for larger version

Name:	tranny bottom 1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	3074   Click image for larger version

Name:	tranny side view.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	3075  

Old 02-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Looks like a 400.....

Chevrolet Chevy Transmission Identification and Decoding

Jeez, I hope you didn't leave it laying there in the snow; it's good tranny!

If you're in a hurry, you shouldn't be RV'ing
RVee'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
RVee'r thanks for the reply and the link. it isn't really sitting in the snow i swept as much off it and around it as possible. ultimately it will be rebuilt. i'm gonna ck that site now. thanks again.
JT
Old 02-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
That's a 400TH, a 350TH would never last with the 1 ton chassis.
J
Old 02-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
From the link , it shows the pan shape that concludes that you are correct! can this tranny use the lock up torque converter? how do you know what type of converter it has?
JT
Old 02-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
No lock up on that trans, the wires you see is for the electric kickdown.
J
Old 02-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
so i'm stuck using the stock converter. well i have a week to go and it looks like mother nature is gonna dump another 6-12" inches on us. maybe i'll just wait until the spring
JT
Old 02-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytugs1 View Post
it looks like mother nature is gonna dump another 6-12" inches on us. maybe i'll just wait until the spring
JT
I hear ya... I used to live near you in Mt Holly. Now I complain when it get's below 60 degrees

If you're in a hurry, you shouldn't be RV'ing
RVee'r is offline   Reply With Quote