Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2023, 10:48 PM   #43

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One youtube had car that had been stored x3 yrs, VERY LOW POWER found mud dauber nest completely blocking airflow at intake/ MAF
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2023, 11:21 PM   #44

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
FUEL GAGE WRONG/ STUCK, AND OUT OF GAS; GEN SHOULD RUN EVEN IF CHASSIS ENG DOES NOT and visa/versa. Lots of water in gas wud explain, too? If someone siphoned/ stole gas, siphon tube cud have damaged transmitter? OTOH, (Most/many) water problems noted right after a fill-up?
Old 04-01-2023, 07:50 PM   #45

Update...It started!!! And a new project...

Installed the new fuel pump and lifted the tank back in place after siphoning another 16 gallons of gas. Primed the pump and line and it started right up! Taking a moment to celebrate knowing that problem is solved, all I learned, and all of the help given here... 😃

Unfortunately I was putting fuel back in and checking on the first gallon see a leak which is either the hose clamp at the tank or the hose itself. 😔. Going to need to drop the tank again to try and solve. Luckily it's very little gas I'm it and I'm now familiar with doing that. If I have to replace the hoses I'm going to make sure they are a little longer as I suspect they were installed with no house on top and there is no slack to drop a tank in the design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230401_192544.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	389380  
WarHorn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 10:28 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHorn79 View Post
Installed the new fuel pump and lifted the tank back in place after siphoning another 16 gallons of gas. Primed the pump and line and it started right up! Taking a moment to celebrate knowing that problem is solved, all I learned, and all of the help given here... 😃

Unfortunately I was putting fuel back in and checking on the first gallon see a leak which is either the hose clamp at the tank or the hose itself. 😔. Going to need to drop the tank again to try and solve. Luckily it's very little gas I'm it and I'm now familiar with doing that. If I have to replace the hoses I'm going to make sure they are a little longer as I suspect they were installed with no house on top and there is no slack to drop a tank in the design.
Glad to hear it runs again! Sorry to hear about leak. Looking at the picture of your filler hose and tank, I have an idea about siphoning. I remember you having trouble siphoning earlier. What worked for me was a length of nylon tubing. Measure the distance from the disconnected hose and add the length needed to reach the tank bottom. Insert the nylon line into the hose and use a pump or start your siphon however works for you. The beauty of the nylon is it being already curved from being cut from a roll and stiff enough to stay submerged in the tank. I used 3/8" I.D. and got steady flow. I used a cheap electric fuel pump powered by my battery jumpstarter. Also works well to return fuel back when done. Tanks are so easy to handle empty and such a pain with fuel in them.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 11:01 PM   #47

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So what did you use to lower/ raise, and do you see why it affected GEN?
Old 04-02-2023, 07:24 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post
Glad to hear it runs again! Sorry to hear about leak. Looking at the picture of your filler hose and tank, I have an idea about siphoning. I remember you having trouble siphoning earlier. What worked for me was a length of nylon tubing. Measure the distance from the disconnected hose and add the length needed to reach the tank bottom. Insert the nylon line into the hose and use a pump or start your siphon however works for you. The beauty of the nylon is it being already curved from being cut from a roll and stiff enough to stay submerged in the tank. I used 3/8" I.D. and got steady flow. I used a cheap electric fuel pump powered by my battery jumpstarter. Also works well to return fuel back when done. Tanks are so easy to handle empty and such a pain with fuel in them.
I bought a hand pump siphon that has a 9ft tube with 1/2" ID. I think the problem could be that the inlet hose is pinched but worth a thought on a smaller OD in the future. Gas tank is practically empty now so going to try and solve this problem without taking more gas out. The way I ultimately got the gas out was to use the opening for the fuel pump. Was able to get all of the way into the tank then but had to be underneath the RV.
Old 04-02-2023, 07:29 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
So what did you use to lower/ raise, and do you see why it affected GEN?
To lower and raise I am using 2 floor jacks (a 2 and 3-ton). Can't be sure the generator is solved yet as not enough gas in the tank to supply it yet. Have to do the fuel line and then fill before I can try it.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:34 PM   #50

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have often thought I wud consider a HF HYDRAULIC LIFT TABLE w/ casters, should mine fail, wud be worth the price if it worked better?

Properly installed, main fuel pump should have zero effect on GEN, but one new owner found someone had installed wrong pump, and then connected GEN to return line, so GEN fuel ONLY available when Main engine running, LOL= NOT the designed/ not the desired operation... :-)
Old 04-03-2023, 02:59 PM   #51

Quote:
I have often thought I wud consider a HF HYDRAULIC LIFT TABLE w/ casters, should mine fail, wud be worth the price if it worked better?

Properly installed, main fuel pump should have zero effect on GEN, but one new owner found someone had installed wrong pump, and then connected GEN to return line, so GEN fuel ONLY available when Main engine running, LOL= NOT the designed/ not the desired operation... :-)
I think a lift table would work though I'm not sure I'd get enough use out of it as I don't plan to drop it too often and the table capacity is too low for most other jobs. That said I haven't tested Grey and black water tanks so...

I at least know my generator used to work and without the engine running. I reconnected everything the same way. Main fuel pump sends gas from the tank so I assumed the 2 lines coming off the pump went to two users. Somewhere the level tells the generator that's all for you. ... lol. Makes sense what you are saying though I haven't really thought and located the line to the generator if I'm wrong. Figured it had to have a pump as well so maybe it's vacuum?
WarHorn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 07:51 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarHorn79 View Post
I think a lift table would work though I'm not sure I'd get enough use out of it as I don't plan to drop it too often and the table capacity is too low for most other jobs. That said I haven't tested Grey and black water tanks so...

I at least know my generator used to work and without the engine running. I reconnected everything the same way. Main fuel pump sends gas from the tank so I assumed the 2 lines coming off the pump went to two users. Somewhere the level tells the generator that's all for you. ... lol. Makes sense what you are saying though I haven't really thought and located the line to the generator if I'm wrong. Figured it had to have a pump as well so maybe it's vacuum?
The fuel supply to the generator is supposed to come from the second fitting on the fuel delivery module you replaced. If you look at the picture of your old pump, itis the all metal line that runs down just behind the pump itself. It is called a standpipe. It's length stops it from drawing any fuel lower than a quarter tank. Prevents running genny too long and stranding yourself. Hopefully, your replacement fuel delivery module was setup the same way.

The generator does have it's own pump. An electric unit also. Built into the generator case. Also has it's own fuel filter just before the pump. Tends to not get looked at till plugged. Might be worth a look.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:38 PM   #53

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On Ford chassis, GEN is a 3rd line on top plate for pump, next to main SUPPLY/RETURN from pump, just GEN line goes down to 1/4-tank above bottom of tank... fuel below that, and GEN sucks air.... you shudda seen GEN line when you changed pump.
Old 04-04-2023, 05:23 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post
The fuel supply to the generator is supposed to come from the second fitting on the fuel delivery module you replaced. If you look at the picture of your old pump, itis the all metal line that runs down just behind the pump itself. It is called a standpipe. It's length stops it from drawing any fuel lower than a quarter tank. Prevents running genny too long and stranding yourself. Hopefully, your replacement fuel delivery module was setup the same way.

The generator does have it's own pump. An electric unit also. Built into the generator case. Also has it's own fuel filter just before the pump. Tends to not get looked at till plugged. Might be worth a look.
That is what I was fairly certain of. My pump was replaced with exactly the same setup and only has the two ports. I think @THenne1713 is describing a different pump/setup than you. Generator was serviced last year and should be good to go once I get fuel in the tank to hit the minimum level. If it isn't I will be on to troubleshooting but it was running fine before this.
Old 04-04-2023, 05:26 AM   #55

Quote:
On Ford chassis, GEN is a 3rd line on top plate for pump, next to main SUPPLY/RETURN from pump, just GEN line goes down to 1/4-tank above bottom of tank... fuel below that, and GEN sucks air.... you shudda seen GEN line when you changed pump.
My pumps only have 2 lines and chassis is a Ford. Generator for sure was running with this pump and setup on its own and currently doesn't have any gas to run it as the tank is empty until I correct the fill line issue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20230401_170443.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	389556  
Old 04-04-2023, 07:39 PM   #56

Was able to get to the lines without taking the tank down again!

Fuel filler hose has a cut in it. Probably from stress of dropping the tank as it's not even 24" long.

Ordered new hoses (vent hose as well) and clamps as might as well do it right from here. Picking up tomorrow and should be a quick reinstall. If all goes well I'll be done with fuel system for a long time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20230404_173226.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	389602   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230404_155957.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	389603  

Name:	20230404_173408.jpg