Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2020, 02:08 PM   #1

Entegra Odyssey 31F and Jayco Greyhawk 31F - 2 AC Option

We were on the look out for a Class C that sleep at a min. 6 to 8 folks and narrowed it to either a 2021 Entegra Odyssey 31F or a 2021 Jayco GreyHawk 31F. Both are based on the same new Ford E450 chasis with a V8 engine.

Apart from the inventory being low on these MHs, my dilemma is do we need a 2nd AC unit. Jayco Greyhawk 31F has an option for a 2nd AC, where the single 15K BTU AC with a heat pump that comes standard with the unit will be replaced by 2 11K BTU AC units without heat pumps that run continuously with independent thermostats. This is all on a 30 amp coach. Wondering if we have to spend for a 2nd unit?

We live in Virginia and most of the time our travel or camping will be in the North East, with occasional trips to FL and mid west. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Thanks and much appreciated.
PaSuRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2020, 03:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaSuRv View Post
We were on the look out for a Class C that sleep at a min. 6 to 8 folks and narrowed it to either a 2021 Entegra Odyssey 31F or a 2021 Jayco GreyHawk 31F. Both are based on the same new Ford E450 chasis with a V8 engine.

Apart from the inventory being low on these MHs, my dilemma is do we need a 2nd AC unit. Jayco Greyhawk 31F has an option for a 2nd AC, where the single 15K BTU AC with a heat pump that comes standard with the unit will be replaced by 2 11K BTU AC units without heat pumps that run continuously with independent thermostats. This is all on a 30 amp coach. Wondering if we have to spend for a 2nd unit?

We live in Virginia and most of the time our travel or camping will be in the North East, with occasional trips to FL and mid west. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Thanks and much appreciated.
If you spend any time in the south in the summer, would get the 2nd AC. I have a 25 ft coach with a single 15000 btu unit, and it struggles in South Texas heat.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What jcussen says ^^^^^^^^^^^^

In AZ my (brand new/replacement) 15K unit doesn't even come close. After the sun goes down it is a lot better, of course. Most folks figure their coach will be about 20 degrees cooler inside than the ambient temperature...... better in the shade. Even then you sometimes have to start out early in the day to "get a run at it".

I "think" I read in previous posts that with the 2 ACs you have 22,000 BTU's (11,000 each.) That way you can run both ACs on your 30 amp coach without shutting almost everything else off. It is a GREAT option, IMHO ....... wish more manufacturers offered it. I don't believe you will ever regret going with the 2 AC configuration. 50 percent more cooling is a really good thing.

Just my $.02, of course.

Stay safe.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:32 AM   #4

Get 2

We recently purchased an Entegra Coach Esteem 30X. We live in Alabama and travel mostly in the southern US. Definitely get the two ac units. Especially if you like sleeping in cooler temps. The second unit in the bedroom is awesome!
Also, in the south, I advise a front windshield cover to insulate from the hot sun.
raybcrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:30 AM   #5

2 ACs are a must. No way I would ever buy another rig with only one unit. Unless you are sure you will never travel in warm areas do yourself a favor and get the second unit. Also when you stop for the day pop the hood open to allow air flow and heat to rise from engine area. If you do not the heat load goes into rv which greatly increases the time to cool unit down at end of day. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 09-23-2020, 01:06 PM   #6

Thank you jcussen,youracman,raybcrna, and trapper2020. Hear you loud and clear. 2 AC unit is it. Now got to go find one. Thanks for all your help.
PaSuRv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entegra, jayco