RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 10:00 PM   #1

Entry door unlocks and opens while driving

I am struggling to find helpful information online about this problem.

My entry door locks and does not budge, even when I really pull on it. However, it routinely unlatches and has opened while driving on the highway. This makes for a nervous drive down the road, as you can imagine. We often need to slam the door, often with several attempts in order for it to properly latch and close.

It seems there is a problem with door alignment and/other the latch. Anyone have experience with this?

I appreciate any trouble shooting tips. I wonder if this is something I can work on myself (with a limited technical skill set) or need to take into the local Winnebago mechanic.

Thank you,

Tom
Driftless RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 10:19 PM   #2

I have an 06 Outlook, probably the same latch system. When I was waxing the unit last week, I noticed that the entire latch mechanism was moving about an 1/8" up and down. I tightened the screws.
. It may be possible that when the mechanism drops it puts the latch out of alignment or when you hit a bump, may move enough to allow the door to open.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:34 AM   #3

Mine has a dead bolt, I do not have a key for the original door lock.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:34 AM   #4

For a replacement key, Google 'trimark key code's . Trimark can supply a cut key from the code that is stamped into the shiney cover where you insert the key. Will work providing that a previous owner has not changed the cylinder.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
A 2x4 set against the door edge struck by a hammer straightened my entry door hinge.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #6

Look and see how well the plunger lines up with door jam plate......I used a dremel to correct that as the screw holes didn't have enough slop to make the adjustment....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:34 PM   #7

Do you have an assist handle? One of those that swivels fore or aft and also locks straight out? Mine does, and I replaced the lock with a digital lock and it has somewhat less engagement, so I had concerns about the door opening. I have a pneumatic cylinder that forces the door wide open when it unlatches. I turn the assist handle around to block the door. I tried it and it will hold the door with the pneumatic cylinder pushing the door out. so I have a backup if the lock should disengage the jam, which it has not. Just being careful.

Sounds like the OP may have a lot of flex in the coach body.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, entry door