Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2020, 07:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DbleDutch View Post
Go North
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Will one ac do it ?

NO, not even if it is a high efficiency 100,000 btu unit (They don't make them!)

I have 3 high efficiency 15k units and they work WELL, but I never let the sun heating get ahead of my cooling or I won't catch up until the night... Awnings on the windows and to keep sun off the side helps... Reflectix on the windshield helps... but...

I think you are setting yourself up for a real issue... maybe rent your own house for a bit until you can go up or out !
Going to south louisiana end of the month - will let you know if we survive !
I've spoken to some family friends who RV full time. They all head North to Flagstaff or Globe during the hot summer months which for us is June, July and August.

Ironically the one that doesn't really have to is the friend in the Class B. I'm too well..."husky".. for a Class B..

I need to prove to my company I can work out of an RV and sticking around the office for a year would probably convince them. They'd probably go for letting me head North for the summer months. I'd still only be a 2 hour drive from the office.

I was pretty shocked at how extensive AT&T's 5G network is where I live. It's faster than my home internet..lol
cptjames72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2020, 10:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjames72 View Post
I think in the end if I want to stay in the valley during the summer I'm going to need an RV with two 11,000 units. If I head north during the summer months one 15k would be fine.

I really like the Entegra Odyssey 30z floor plan but there's no option for 2 11k AC units. Was looking at the Thor Chateau/ Four Winds 31B floor plans. They do offer 2 11k units. Still trying to figure out the different between the two..lol

Thanks everyone for your help. Not doing anything until next Spring so I have plenty of time for research.
Take a look at the Entegra Esteem they have the option of 2 11K AC units on 30 AMPS with power management built in.
TGiboney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
And when those roof AC units can't keep up with the heat, it's time for a mini split install. There are many examples of these installs on YouTube.

Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #18

IMHO, I think you would be happier with a Class A. More room, 50A power, two 15k A/Cs etc. Is anyone else going to be staying with you? X2 on leaving for a cooler clime. Maybe you could drive (in a car) back for face-to-face meetings etc. The extreme heat in Tucson is why I nixed going to AZ this summer; I had originally planned for a March visit but Covid shot it down. I was afraid that my MH with two 13.2K A/C units (elderly) might crap out in the heat. I've learned that when it's 90 or higher, I have to run the A/C 24/7 whether I am in the MH or out visiting. If I turn them off, it really doesn't cool down again, not for many hours of misery.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGiboney View Post
Take a look at the Entegra Esteem they have the option of 2 11K AC units on 30 AMPS with power management built in.
I have been looking at that exact model actually. Was looking at the Thor Four Winds/Chateau as well since it also offers 2 11k BTU units.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
And when those roof AC units can't keep up with the heat, it's time for a mini split install. There are many examples of these installs on YouTube.

I never thought of that lol they’re easy to install too. Get a trailer hitch cargo carrier and bolt a unit to it using some rubber shock absorbers.

Something to keep in mind.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
IMHO, I think you would be happier with a Class A. More room, 50A power, two 15k A/Cs etc. Is anyone else going to be staying with you? X2 on leaving for a cooler clime. Maybe you could drive (in a car) back for face-to-face meetings etc. The extreme heat in Tucson is why I nixed going to AZ this summer; I had originally planned for a March visit but Covid shot it down. I was afraid that my MH with two 13.2K A/C units (elderly) might crap out in the heat. I've learned that when it's 90 or higher, I have to run the A/C 24/7 whether I am in the MH or out visiting. If I turn them off, it really doesn't cool down again, not for many hours of misery.
I have been looking at the smaller Class A’s. I’ve nothing the bigger you go the bigger the mark down at a certain price point.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
Keep in mind that if the temps hit around the 115f mark, the units will shut down on high head pressure.

Both our 15k units performed admirably through back to back 120 degree days. Hi cool for 48 hours. 85 to 90* nights🥴.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Both our 15k units performed admirably through back to back 120 degree days. Hi cool for 48 hours. 85 to 90* nights🥴.
That's great. Pleased for you. Thank you for the information.
A friend had 3 units shut down at 115f.

Usually the HP will cut out in the 600-625 PSIG range which is about the 115f+ mark. a clean condenser helps.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjames72 View Post
I have been looking at the smaller Class A’s. I’ve nothing the bigger you go the bigger the mark down at a certain price point.
Consider a Super C. Nexus or Renegade, if the price point is bearable.

I spend the bulk of my time in High Alpine climates, i.e., average July low temp in Winter Park, Colorado is 32 degrees . So I can't speak to extreme heat.
Tatanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:28 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
Consider a Super C. Nexus or Renegade, if the price point is bearable.

I spend the bulk of my time in High Alpine climates, i.e., average July low temp in Winter Park, Colorado is 32 degrees . So I can't speak to extreme heat.
The price could be bearable for a Super C but I'm retiring in 15 years, selling everything and moving to someplace with a beach where I can get drinks with little umbrellas in them

Rather keep the final price less than $110k. After reading through the forums I have determined I must have a coach with dual pane windows. I know there are pros and cons but if I intend to live in an area where it's scorched earth for 3 months I will need it. I read a great post from someone, I don't remember who, that lives in my area. He got a Class C with 1 15k AC unit, dual pane windows, had awnings installed over all the windows and replaced the night shakes with black out ones. Said his RV stays nice and cool during the heat in AZ.

Looking at the Coachmen Leprechaun 311fs. You can option dual pane tinted windows and dual AC units 15,000 and 11,500. I'm assuming that would bump you to 50amp.

Still in research mode as I won't be doing anything until next year.

Tags
heat