Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #1

Fiberglass Repair Question

I discovered a small gouge in the fiberglass of my RV the other day. It's probably been there since before I bought it judging by what appears as if it might be some weathering. See attached photo. I'm wondering what the preferred method of repair would be. It's so small it's hard to imagine using fiberglass tape and all the attending procedures that go with that. I don't know... I don't know anything about repairing things like this. Is there some sort of putty, some Bondo-like substance made for fiberglass, that I could do a little patching with and not have to do any sanding or painting? Something that is white and may be close to the white of my RV? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1781671186.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	51525  
2018 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th wheel, 760 watts of rooftop solar, four 6 volt Lifeline AGM batteries, 2800 watt Magnum inverter, 1000 watt Aims inverter, Progressive PMS, Hughes Autoformer; 2017 Ford F350 XLT Supercab diesel dually 4x4
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #2

Try going to a marine supply place and getting a patch kit. Not sure what it is called but it is a 2 part epoxy, similar to JB Weld only in white. I used some years ago to fix a hole in a white plastic toilet and it works great. I know the package said it would work on most plastics and fibreglass.
tred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tred View Post
Try going to a marine supply place and getting a patch kit. Not sure what it is called but it is a 2 part epoxy, similar to JB Weld only in white. I used some years ago to fix a hole in a white plastic toilet and it works great. I know the package said it would work on most plastics and fibreglass.
Thanks!
2018 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th wheel, 760 watts of rooftop solar, four 6 volt Lifeline AGM batteries, 2800 watt Magnum inverter, 1000 watt Aims inverter, Progressive PMS, Hughes Autoformer; 2017 Ford F350 XLT Supercab diesel dually 4x4
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:12 AM   #4

Bondo will stick to fiberglass as well as it sticks to metal.
ColaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For that small an area I would suggest using a spot putty. It is available from several companies and much easier to work with. No mixing and sands easier.

Evercoat fiberglass 403 is available at Walmart.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #6

I would just repair it with gelcoat, which is what the fiberglass wall is most likely covered with.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bondo makes a fiberglass repair filler. Works great. Same as they use on fiberglass auto bodies.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tred View Post
What Tred is suggesting is a product called Marine Tex. It is good stuff
Capn_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair