Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #1

First time buyer

I am currently researching info on new class c motorhomes (approx 24'-26'. I plan to attend an RV show this September and was wondering if these shows are a good place to actually purchase an RV? As I get closer to purchasing I will be asking a lot of questions that only experienced RV'ers can answer. I appreciate any and all comments. Hopefully I can receive input to avoid making costly, newbie mistakes.
Frankie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Z View Post
I am currently researching info on new class c motorhomes (approx 24'-26'. I plan to attend an RV show this September and was wondering if these shows are a good place to actually purchase an RV? As I get closer to purchasing I will be asking a lot of questions that only experienced RV'ers can answer. I appreciate any and all comments. Hopefully I can receive input to avoid making costly, newbie mistakes.
Look at used ones first. There are some great used Motorhomes out there and you won't lose on depreciation. I wish I had taken my own advise. I don't use it enough to merit a new motorhome.

Mark
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #3

They make rigs look good at the Hershey show, and there is hype and excitement with crowds.
Dont be fooled.
There may be some good deals, but ya gotta do yer homework before ya go there, know the value/price going in.
Good luck!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #4

Why wait for the RV show this fall. Begin looking now and go to different dealers and private sellers to find the floor plan you like. That way you know what you like and then you can price it out and maybe find a better deal then the show. Remember that the minute you drive a new one off the lot you lose 30-40% of purchase price.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
Remember that the minute you drive a new one off the lot you lose 30-40% of purchase price.
Which is why I like to buy them after they've been driven off the lot. Especially since this is your first one, your needs may change.

Also note that most typical RVs go through a shake-down period. I have yet to run into one that didn't have something up with it when driven off the lot (owned by friends) - so just expect some back and forth on it.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:47 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do you have an RV rental place in your area? Even just renting for a weekend and driving a few miles will give you a sense of what you can live with as a floorplan based on your budget. If you are going for under 26 feet and want a rear bed, expect that it will be a corner rather than a walk around in most cases. (Forest River has a couple of exceptions) We are in a 24 foot rig (25.5 actual length) and enjoy that it gets us into many places that we otherwise would miss in our local area. Keeping under 30 feet in total length though still gives a lot of options for places to go, although you will see on this site folks with larger rigs that still find some awesome places to camp that work out. If buying new, the drawback of fall purchases unless you are in a southern climate means that the typical "1 year warranty" for new is nearly 8 months past before you get to use it and address any of the 'gotchas'.

Some say that your first rig will not be the one that you ultimately settle on as your favorite. I can attest that I had a popup trailer, travel trailer, a 22' Class C and now a 24 footer. The temptation of "just a few more feet in length" is a lure. "If only I had 2 more feet we could have a walk around bed..." If only 2 more beyond that and we'd have a couch instead of a dinette..." etc. etc. That's where doing a rental night or two with different floorplans is a nice investment before the big purchase. I would have saved one of my purchases as a result; only lost a little because I was going form one used to another.