Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #1

Floor repair/renovation help

I have a 2006 HR Atlantis SE 31pbs.

I've had an issue with the floor since I got it in 2016. A soft spot just inside the slide

The carpet has also needed replaced since then. I replaced the couch with something better but not perfect.

All of these things finally added up to a major reno. I removed the carpet to find that the area of the floor with the problem had been 'repaired' before. Apparently previous owner decided to keep the fact that they had done a half-a#$& repair before I got it. I know this because the household, non-waterproof underlay was dated just prior to when I bought it.

One of my many questions is, what it the material used as the outer barrier? It's a black, seemingly fibrous material. It's obviously tough. Maybe a layer of metal with a fibrous coating?

Anyway, there is some water damage probably coming in from the road while driving. I'm thinking to repair, I might leave the existing material in place and place light weight metal pans inside between the 1.5" square tubing that comprises the frame. I would seal it and screw it in place. Then replace the blue foam insulation, cover with waterproof (Marine grade?) plywood. Then I plan to install waterproof engineered flooring of some type.

I'm about to attempt to remove the slide because the previous repair didn't remove all of the original underlay. They just broke it off under the slide and cut a slot to go around it. I also need to replace a slide seal. Plus it will be easier to install the flooring properly. Plus, I plan to use the big hole while the slide is out, to bring in a larger more comfortable couch. Maybe a hide a bed if it will open with the slide out. I plan to put a small pedestal table on the slide and use regular dining room type chairs.

I'm not sure the attached pics will show things properly, but I'm hoping you guys will have some suggestions and advice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190620_162641.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	367.9 KB
ID:	260401

Name:	MVIMG_20190701_134734.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	448.0 KB
ID:	260402

Name:	MVIMG_20190701_134740.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	484.8 KB
ID:	260403
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 09:42 AM   #2

Those "dang" slide outs! They are horrible on older motor homes. That is the reason why we special ordered our rig back in 2007 SEEN HERE without one. We plan to keep ours for 35 or more years.

Sorry RobReab, surely not meaning to insult you or rub it in. It looks like you are attempting to make repairs done right including new seals and addressing other water-related penetrations. I hope your results will yield many years of interior dryness. It does look like you caught it in time.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I hope more will follow.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #3

Removed my slide yesterday. Found that the leak may be under the slide when extended. There is no seal on the bottom of the slide when extended.

I believe the leak may be partially due to the bottom sill of the slide being bent down. This may be allowing water to enter and flow along the sill to either side. This would explain the apparent damage on either side of the slide.

The new plan is to install a seal on the bottom of the slide, maybe try to re-form the lower sill upward and seal well to keep water from flowing in.

I'm planning to buy some rubber coating to paint the inside of the bottom frame to seal any possible road water. replace the 1.5" blue foam insulation then replace the floor underlayment and install LVT or engineered wood flooring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190917_115528.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	260798   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190917_120419.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	260799  

Name:	IMG_20190918_111423.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	395.9 KB
ID:	260800  
Old 09-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #4

Make sure there’s no water coming in where the cables go through either. Seen that before. Try taking out the slide rollers and clean the well good and spray in some undercoating. The roller screws may be leaking as well. Seen plenty of times they have no sealer on them. Looks like the slide well is angled to inside if that’s the case definitely pull the roller and check the screws
Southern-Rv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, floor, repair