Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2023, 06:38 AM   #1

Folding mattress

Hello all
Long time listener-first time poster...

We are seasoned TT owners who are just starting out in search of a new/new to us Class C. We would like to stay under 30' and a walk around bed is a must. There are some really solid ones to consider however, we are shying away from the fold up mattress/bed. One reason is due to comfort the other due to boon docking.
Now I'm told, you can always have a custom mattress made for the fold ups but Im thinking that route would be expensive.(and if you must, sleep in the over bunk or table bed when you can't open slide)

Would love to hear your thoughts on mattresses - split or no split- murphy or not!

Thank you
NH Traveler
NHTravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2023, 08:12 AM   #2

Folding Mattress

We have a Class C, and were looking for the same. We decided on a walk-around bed after we rented one with the bed in corner. Unfortunately, it will be hard to find a walk around bed that can be accessed without the slide extended.
Class C's just don't have the room. The one "must have" was access to the bathroom, with the slide in. We had to install a flush doorknob, but now we can squeeze in, if necessary.

When our slide failed, we had the option of sleeping in the cafe bed, or swiveling the front cab seats and fully reclining them. The upper bunk cushions and ladder were left behind for weight reasons. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if someone identifies a model that accommodates a walk-around.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTravler View Post
Would love to hear your thoughts on mattresses - split or no split- murphy or not!
Aside from the murphy bed models, for a walk around bed in a unit that's under 30 feet there's also the Thor Four Winds/Chateau 28A, with no slides:
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/four-...loor-plans/28a

I wanted a smaller model, so opted for a split bed that requires extending the slide and have no regrets. The slide mine has is small, lightweight, and uncomplicated. Most of the slide issues are with the really big slides, heavy slides, or slides with plumbing going into them. With a mattress topper, the bed mine came with is pretty comfortable.
Old 01-16-2023, 07:53 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ours has a folding mattress. We went to IKEA and got there most expensive mattress topper. It is awkward but the whole thing is foldable. It is very comfortable.

I think the biggest drawback is that you cannot use the bed with the slides in. One of us has slept on the jackknife couch many times while the other drives. I would rather not be able to walk around the bed than have it fold.

Thinking of access. We looked at one that blocked the refrigerator with the slide in. An immediate rejection.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:13 PM   #5
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
My 29’ class C has a 60” x 80” north south bed that is off set east west so on one side you have lots of room to get dressed.

It is older. But I like the whole rig, see sig..
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 01:27 PM   #6

NHTravler,

What little I read from people who sleep on a bed with a hinged mattress designed for folding, that seam is felt in a bad way. People said they laid on the bed when kicking the tires and it was fine. But laying there for 8 hours is a different experience.

I suppose a lot depends on where the seam is located. I have slept on our dinette bed when sick, needing isolation. Set up as a bed, it has 3 seams and I find it extremely comfortable.

As others say, it is nice to use the bed when the slideout is NOT extended. But I shouldn't talk because we don't have any slideouts to begin with.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:55 PM   #7

Ours is an older (2008) Winnebago Outlook 29B. Not sure how long they kept the floor plan but we have 2 slides, bed is still full length retracted, but drawers and walk around are gone. Overall is just under 30'. Good storage, we really like the floor plan.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:04 PM   #8

rear bed slide

I have a Minnie Winnie 26A. The bed slides out the rear when camping. Nevr an issue sliding it out in rest stops, streets, wal marts etc. Actually I tow a Jeep and this slide extends 3 feet , so over the tow bar. I never have to sleep anyplace else.
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 08:57 AM   #9

Great info!
Still not sold on folding mattress, would rather go with a longer coach than compromise sleep comfort. Not a big fan of toppers. Walk around is a must.
Will be definately checking out your suggestions and keep searching.
Thank you and keep the post coming!

NH Traveler
Old 01-21-2023, 10:38 AM   #10

No reason a folding mattress would be uncomfortable. On mine the seam is bottom 1/3 I don’t notice it at all. To pinch pennies I ordered a custom sized mattress to replace the top 2/3 and now the bottom 1/3 I pull up and put in shower. Besides saving some money it makes walking past the bed with slide in much easier.
Old 01-21-2023, 11:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tskadberg View Post
On mine the seam is bottom 1/3 I don’t notice it at all. To pinch pennies I ordered a custom sized mattress to replace the top 2/3 and now the bottom 1/3 I pull up and put in shower. Besides saving some money it makes walking past the bed with slide in much easier.
Good idea, makes sense given your fold is 2/3 down the length of the mattress.

As I recall, one complaint was because the seam was centrally located, felt near the hip.
Old 01-21-2023, 11:40 AM   #12

I wonder if something like a Sleep Numberr mattress would work. You could deflate it when traveling and inflate the mattress when set up for sleeping.
John.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tskadberg View Post
No reason a folding mattress would be uncomfortable. On mine the seam is bottom 1/3 I don’t notice it at all. To pinch pennies I ordered a custom sized mattress to replace the top 2/3 and now the bottom 1/3 I pull up and put in shower. Besides saving some money it makes walking past the bed with slide in much easier.
Very interesting idea..
Where did you order the custom 2/3 mattress from and how much was it?
I've never had luck with any original mattress that came with the TT's. Always replaced them.

Thanks!
NH Traveler
Old 01-22-2023, 11:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTravler View Post
Very interesting idea..

Where did you order the custom 2/3 mattress from and how much was it?

I've never had luck with any original mattress that came with the TT's. Always replaced them.

Thanks!

NH Traveler

Mattress insider. I got a 70 by 50 for 600 something. It’s a massive improvement over the crap that came with the rig. I don’t mind it at all and I sleep on firm tempurpedic at home. Not as firm as I am use to. You can flip the mattress over to get a firmer feel but you loose the cooling gel. Haven’t tried the firm side yet. Was $100 off. But their sale seems to be around a lot.

Like I said not the most convenient so you have to be motivated to save some money or like us makes it easier to squeeze by because the folded mattress was at my belly level my thickest part. Now it is below my waist easier to get by.

Tags
mattress