Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2021, 10:08 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
3.5 eco has been around for over a decade now, its tried and proven to be the choice of truck customers, there are many yu tube did out there by ford and others. The 3.5 eco is NOT just a v6 that they slapped some tubos on it, engine was designed to withstand the higher compression/ heat that goes along with increased volumetric efficiency. Funny every snickered at ford when thec3.5 ecoboost came out, well folks guess who just came out with a 3.5 v6 turbo motor, yep tundra.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2021, 05:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor77 View Post
I strongly agree with tizeye's comment: "Frankly, the new Transit chassis with the higher GCWR has the potential to be a Mercedes killer."

With all due respect, the LTV Mercedes Unity line is tired. I predict that the new LTV Wonder with Ford Transit chassis will overtake the Mercedes Unity line within the next 3 years. The Ford Transit LTV Wonder gets the job done -- 310 hp with 400 ft./lbs Torque! MB can't touch these performance numbers.
My question is not related to performance, but rather the longevity and reliability of the Ford drivetrain.
HDRider1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
3.5 eco has been around for over a decade now, its tried and proven to be the choice of truck customers, there are many yu tube did out there by ford and others. The 3.5 eco is NOT just a v6 that they slapped some tubos on it, engine was designed to withstand the higher compression/ heat that goes along with increased volumetric efficiency. Funny every snickered at ford when thec3.5 ecoboost came out, well folks guess who just came out with a 3.5 v6 turbo motor, yep tundra.
I have searched high and low about high mileage Ford drivetrain stories. I have not found any.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRider1960 View Post
My question is not related to performance, but rather the longevity and reliability of the Ford drivetrain.
Yes....specifically a small engine with a turbo, replacing a large normally aspirated engine in a heavy duty application like in a motorhome where the vehicle's weight is always close to the max load rating.

In our particular case, we always tow our Jeep Liberty 4x4 so our V10 engine is always managing a combined weight of over 15,500 pounds.

Here was our weight this last trip.

Here is what I believe was our heaviest trip.
Ron Dittmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
I'd like to correct my previous statement of "full boost 100% of the time". I assumed the boost was "full" by the sound of the turbo as the motorhomes and pickup trucks towing, passed me by. Maybe it was as some people here stated, a "lot less" than full boost. I really had no way of knowing. My apologies for that statement.

One thing certain, I heard "turbo action" as they cruised by me at speeds over 70 mph. Maybe those vehicles are designed for turbo action applied for days at a time on the open road, carrying or pulling a combined weight of roughly 14,000 pounds. But for me, a person who never owned a turbo in a heavy duty application, it just doesn't seem right. I admit I am no authority on such mechanics. I mentioned it in-part because it surprised me to hear their turbos singing as they cruised passed us.
Turbos turn all of the time. They are a set of fans, on a single shaft, in the exhaust stream and intake stream. They run on a high speed ( 200,000 RPM ) well oiled shaft.

The more power you ask of the engine, the more one fan turns the other, giving you intake pressure. So instead of the engine sucking in air it gets force fed.

You can hear some turbos sing louder then others because of more open exhaust systems. Stuffing all of the exhaust thru the turbo naurally quiets the engine, so free flowing mufflers can be used.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:55 AM   #20

eco-boost

the trend of using smaller turbo'd motors for "bigger" rigs is somewhat new in it's "wisdom" but one must realize the manufacturers are not the least bit concerned with longevity, oh they will speak to that issue but it's only their lips moving
Consider that I have a 2000 F-250 Powerstroke with 331,000 miles sitting in the driveway that's been a workhorse every day of it's life, next to my 2000 Tioga 29' powered by a V-10 with 57,000 and my son drives a 2019 F-150 eco-boost and he tows several different trailers, all heavy - 7.3 Power strokes and their NA counterparts have been pushing school buses, among the many other vehicles, for a whole bunch of years/miles, I dare say the only honest competition for them is the 5.9 Cummins - Gassers are simpler, cheaper and lighter weight but if you drive a turbo'd gasser, albeit one with lesser cu. in., and have your foot in it continually you WILL have problems, being patient and enjoying the journey is that way to go there .....there is no substitute for "brute strength" (torque)
Gkprice503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:38 AM   #21

A simple internet search will show anyone here that there are plenty of 250k - 350k and higher mileage 3.5’s out there.
Funny how people are scared of turbo gas engines yet tout turbo diesels. The 2.7 and 3.5 ecoboost engines are built like diesels. Do your homework instead of jumping on the bashing bandwagon.
RVtravelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVtravelz View Post
A simple internet search will show anyone here that there are plenty of 250k - 350k and higher mileage 3.5’s out there.
Funny how people are scared of turbo gas engines yet tout turbo diesels. The 2.7 and 3.5 ecoboost engines are built like diesels. Do your homework instead of jumping on the bashing bandwagon.
What does milage have to do with engine life without service records.

Do we assume it's all stock and original.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
What does milage have to do with engine life without service records.

Do we assume it's all stock and original.
You could say that about any vehicle.
Here’s one of many, call’em up and ask.
https://www.pickuptrucks.com/trucks/...4-ebe75d3bb012
Old 10-05-2021, 01:55 PM   #24

Quote:
I have looked. I didn't find any examples of high mileage ones.

Maybe you can refrain from belittling my inquiry, and share a few of the examples

Mostly what I find is related to the trouble prone water pump, or the extreme engine heat caused by the turbos and a few other design issues related to stress.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:59 PM   #25

Quote:
You could say that about any vehicle.
Here’s one of many, call’em up and ask.
https://www.pickuptrucks.com/trucks/...4-ebe75d3bb012
I admit that is a high mileage truck. 50,000 miles per year.

I have to wonder how hard that truck was used. That is a light truck with a lot of highway miles.

And, it is the 6 speed, not the 10
Old 10-05-2021, 03:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Mostly what I find is related to the trouble prone water pump, or the extreme engine heat caused by the turbos and a few other design issues related to stress.
I’ve never had water pump failure in any of my old 2.7 or 3.5 trucks so I can’t speak about that. Never heard of that problem before. They all went over 100k before trade in time. The turbo’s on these engines are water cooled. There is no extreme engine heat caused by them. Not sure where you heard that.
Design issues related to stress??? I call bs on that. These engines are way overbuilt, especially the 2.7.
The only common problem I’ve ever heard about on the 3.5’s was for cam phaser rattle on startup. Never had it myself. Ford addressed it with updated versions around 2017 or so.
The 10 speed should be a nice transmission to have in a class C motorhome. I wish they would make a version for the larger class A F53 chassis.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:57 AM   #27

“There are plenty of people who purchase a car and drive it for twelve years or more,” Jake Fisher, director of auto testing for Consumer Reports, told Design News. “And the jury is still out on how these small-displacement turbos will do at 150,000 or 200,000 miles.”

The relevance of small-displacement turbocharged engines gained greater relevance recently, when Consumer Reports’ April auto issue designated Toyota Motor Corp., which doesn’t use those engines on its high-volume vehicles, as the most reliable automotive brand. Fisher said Toyota hasn’t adopted small-displacement turbocharged engines on its high-volume products for good reason. “Whenever you add complexity, you add potential areas of failure,” he told us. “And a turbocharged engine is more complex. It has more stuff going on than you’d have with a normally-aspirated engine.”

https://www.designnews.com/electroni...able-long-term
Old 10-06-2021, 07:44 AM   #28

Quote:
“There are plenty of people who purchase a car and drive it for twelve years or more,” Jake Fisher, director of auto testing for Consumer Reports, told Design News. “And the jury is still out on how these small-displacement turbos will do at 150,000 or 200,000 miles.”

The relevance of small-displacement turbocharged engines gained greater relevance recently, when Consumer Reports’ April auto issue designated Toyota Motor Corp., which doesn’t use those engines on its high-volume vehicles, as the most reliable automotive brand. Fisher said Toyota hasn’t adopted small-displacement turbocharged engines on its high-volume products for good reason. “Whenever you add complexity, you add potential areas of failure,” he told us. “And a turbocharged engine is more complex. It has more stuff going on than you’d have with a normally-aspirated engine.”
Yet Toyota just announced a 3.5 liter twin turbo V6 to replace the V8 in the all new Tundra. No V8 option at all.
Consumer reports is not an end all authority in my book.

Tags
ford, gas, transmission