Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2022, 08:07 AM   #29

Those saying Ford car dealerships don't work on Ford chassis warranty issues....

are you including engine work too?

My Ford dealership just fixed my Triton V10 engine issue under the emissions warranty. In fact they were recommended by my RV dealership for warranty problems.

Got it in the next day...out early the next week.

Must have fixed the issue...no problems in 5000 miles.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2022, 09:58 AM   #30

I think the height of the dealer's garage door and the maneuverability of the rig inside the shop is the determining factor whether a Ford dealer wants to help you. It also depends on whether the rig requires lifting to address the particular need.

Over the past 15 years, I have had our rig SEEN HERE at two different Ford dealer service centers. Both were regular vehicle dealerships, not truck places. In both cases, they were worried about the height & length of the rig. Our rig is 23-8" long and 9'-10" high to the highest point, the top of the a/c unit.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld View Post
Those saying Ford car dealerships don't work on Ford chassis warranty issues....

are you including engine work too?

My Ford dealership just fixed my Triton V10 engine issue under the emissions warranty. In fact they were recommended by my RV dealership for warranty problems.

Got it in the next day...out early the next week.

Must have fixed the issue...no problems in 5000 miles.

what size is your unit? Mine is engine work too. Absolutely no Ford dealers + 200 miles from here will help. I dont want to do a cross country trip to have something looked at.
boiledowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 04:37 AM   #32

Mine is a 24 footer but there are plenty of large class A's there too...doesn't seem to matter. It is an auto/small truck (PU's/vans) dealership. When I drive by there, I don't see a "lot" of RVs/even larger Ford trucks waiting to be worked on. They seem to turnover pretty fast... obviously held up by supply chain stuff but not as bad as many it seems.

The dealership is about 40 miles away so if it wasn't warranty work, not sure I would always use them for regular service unless again their bring it in tomorrow service stays steady and their performance good.

I can bet though there are places with thin service opportunities... when I needed collision service in upper Maine last year... ONE person catching covid seemed to put me on a backburner for a simple repair. I couldn't find another collision place in upper New Hampshire or Vermont or northern New York (we were headed to the Adirondacks) that could (or wanted to) work on my little class C. On their suggestion, I drove it all the way back to central Florida via Dallas, TX with some of the front end duct taped together.

Even then the delays took over 3 months to get it back and the shop (sorta mandated by insurance) was 100 miles away...so were the other 2 choices.... next time it I will use a local shop with a good reputation and screw the "lifetime guarantee" on the repair. I am not sure what I would do about warranty work.

When travelling, we are all exposed to being in an area where work is unavailable... ya just gotta be ready to pull out the wallet and pay through the nose...I hope I never run into the problem...but flashing "extra cash like a third world bribe" has entered my mind....

I learned that saying sweeping statements on the internet like "Auto dealerships don't work on RV's, etc" can quickly turn on into a quagmire. It's hard to not make statements based solely on your own experience and without a link to a reputable source to back it up and not find out it may not be correct.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:16 AM   #33

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
re: "...saying sweeping statements on the internet like "Auto dealerships don't work on RV's,..."
- When i bought my Class-C 5+yrs ago, I called CW**, then called every Ford Dealer within 50-miles, and have since talked with 6-12-indepenent shops. Several reasons stand out of WHY they make that statement: 1) DOORS/ BAYS TOO SHORT, AND FLOOR JACKS AND LIFTS NOT RATED FOR MORE THAN 1-1/2-TON; 2) NOT allowed to use Client TOOLS (bottle jack) and 3) INSURANCE SAYS THEY CANNOT WORK OUTSIDE OF SERVICE BAYS; 4) CAR DEALER training does NOT include truck/ RV. HOPE THIS HELPS, and if you have found different, we wud LOVE to hear about Service and scope? ** CW failed to even answer the phone for service, despite x3 calls in a week, and STILL WAITING for that call back (NOT)
Old 08-13-2022, 12:33 AM   #34

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<<fluid is full>> but a MASTER CYLINDER can leak INTERNALLY, WHERE THE PRESSURE JUST BLEEDS BACK TO THE .
RESERVOIR, without evidence of external leak
Old 08-13-2022, 05:27 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiledowl View Post
what size is your unit? Mine is engine work too. Absolutely no Ford dealers + 200 miles from here will help. I dont want to do a cross country trip to have something looked at.
Where are you located in Virginia? I've had success searching on Ford's Commercial Vehicle Center website: https://fordcommercialvehiclecenter.com/
After you search for your city, you can set "Advanced Filters" to select those that service Class Cs. In the more information listing for each dealership, the site lists the height of their door, the length of their bay, and the capacity of their lift. Choose one that fits your rig and call them.
Old 08-20-2022, 03:43 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvspl View Post
Where are you located in Virginia? I've had success searching on Ford's Commercial Vehicle Center website: https://fordcommercialvehiclecenter.com/
After you search for your city, you can set "Advanced Filters" to select those that service Class Cs. In the more information listing for each dealership, the site lists the height of their door, the length of their bay, and the capacity of their lift. Choose one that fits your rig and call them.

I'm in King Willam county. I'll check the web site.
Old 08-20-2022, 07:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiledowl View Post
I'm in King Willam county. I'll check the web site.
I'm not sure how close to you they are, but Richmond Ford West in Glen Allen says they work on Class C. They've got a 14' tall door, a 40' long bay and a 20 ton lift.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:38 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvspl View Post
I'm not sure how close to you they are, but Richmond Ford West in Glen Allen says they work on Class C. They've got a 14' tall door, a 40' long bay and a 20 ton lift.

They just told me they do not work on Rv's.
Old 08-25-2022, 10:50 PM   #39

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WHAT is your chassis warranty issue/ concern? Have you discussed it w/ the 800-line?
Old 08-26-2022, 05:48 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
WHAT is your chassis warranty issue/ concern? Have you discussed it w/ the 800-line?

I dont know if you have seen it on the other forums but the issue is the baby rattling noise coming from the under the hood. Most have stated it is a serpentine belt related issue. I would just like to have it fixed at no cost to me. But evidently I have to bite the bullet and pay for it myself.
Old 03-27-2023, 06:46 PM   #41

It would appear to me the Ford commercial truck centers want nothing to do with RVs on the Ford chassis. I am in Tucson but would need to go to Phoenix over 100 miles away to get to a dealer that might service the chassis even for the latest safety recall for the sway bar brackets on the 2020 chassis. I was told this morning by the very nice service manager at Earnhardt Ford in Phoenix that I would have to leave the rig at their yard for 6-8 weeks as they work the RVs in between commercial service customers. And, this was for the safety recall on the sway bar brackets that apparently are able to cause more harm to other users on the highway should they fail. We have a Newmar 2702 which is the smallest Class A they make on the gas chassis. I worked my own way through the spark plug wire issue on the new V-8. Got no help from any Ford dealer.

The bright spot. I have found that some very rural Ford dealer service departments will be happy to work on the motorhome chassis. I have my oil changed and chassis lubed at Oracle Ford in Arizona. They do it like I used to do it; slide under with a wrench, drain pan and a lube gun. I also had great service from Value Ford in a very rural spot in Washington state. There is hope but not apparently from the big dealers. Worth a try to check in with smaller dealerships. I will give Oracle Ford a shot at the warranty repair on the sway bar if they can get paid by Ford for the parts and labor. This is not a safety recall repair calling for rocket science. It is new brackets, nuts, bolts and a torque wrench.
John Mottola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 05:57 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mottola View Post
It would appear to me the Ford commercial truck centers want nothing to do with RVs on the Ford chassis. I am in Tucson but would need to go to Phoenix over 100 miles away to get to a dealer that might service the chassis even for the latest safety recall for the sway bar brackets on the 2020 chassis. I was told this morning by the very nice service manager at Earnhardt Ford in Phoenix that I would have to leave the rig at their yard for 6-8 weeks as they work the RVs in between commercial service customers. And, this was for the safety recall on the sway bar brackets that apparently are able to cause more harm to other users on the highway should they fail. We have a Newmar 2702 which is the smallest Class A they make on the gas chassis. I worked my own way through the spark plug wire issue on the new V-8. Got no help from any Ford dealer.

The bright spot. I have found that some very rural Ford dealer service departments will be happy to work on the motorhome chassis. I have my oil changed and chassis lubed at Oracle Ford in Arizona. They do it like I used to do it; slide under with a wrench, drain pan and a lube gun. I also had great service from Value Ford in a very rural spot in Washington state. There is hope but not apparently from the big dealers. Worth a try to check in with smaller dealerships. I will give Oracle Ford a shot at the warranty repair on the sway bar if they can get paid by Ford for the parts and labor. This is not a safety recall repair calling for rocket science. It is new brackets, nuts, bolts and a torque wrench.

I sure didn't find anyplace remotely close to where I live that would work on mine. One dealer (who works on and has plenty of room for large commercial vehicles) told me to bring it in. When I got there someone else told me they don't work on them anymore but original guy said they would make exception for me so I left it. After several days I called and they said it might be 2 or 3 months before they get to it. So i just went back (2 hour one way) and brought it back home. Like I said in previous posts the help line for Ford has absolutely no information to help.

Tags
chassis, ford, warranty