Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2021, 07:53 PM   #1

Ford E-350 suspension help

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'm new to to forum & am looking for recommendations on how to make my 2017 Ford E-350 Freedom Elite 22FE handle better. I've added an aftermarket steering stabilizer, I can't remember the name at the moment. The stabilizer has not helped a lot but I know there is more that can be done to improve the handling & make the thing more enjoyable to drive.
Zachsbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 08:33 PM   #2

I used to have a E-350 chassis on a motorhome. Put a set of Bilstein shocks on it you won't believe how much better and controlled the ride will be. I liked them so much it made me realize the factory shocks are really not so good. Had I known I would of changed out the stock shocks for the bils right away.
Col. Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:24 AM   #3

I agree with Col.Klink concerning the shocks.

I cannot speak for other model years, but our 2007 E350 chassis motorhome's original shocks were the same ones installed on a 2007 E250 van, so what does that say? The same applied to the front stabilizer bar and steering stabilizer. Our chassis had no rear stabilizer bar what-so-ever.

Our particular rig has a low profile compared to most others with an over-all height of just 9'-10" (to the top of the a/c unit). CLICK HERE to review pictures of it.

Over the years the following suspension changes/upgrades were done. The rig handles quite nicely and also provides a reasonably comfortable ride.
- replaced the front stabilizer bar with a Heavy Duty Roadmaster
- added a rear Heavy Duty Roadmaster stabilizer bar
- replaced the original shocks with Heavy Duty Bilsteins
- replaced the original steering stabilizer with a Heavy Duty Safe-T-Plus
- added a Hendersen Rear Trac Bar
- replaced the front coil springs with ones rated one level less to better match the actual load.

I was concerned that heavy duty shocks would make the ride more rough, but I am convinced they are the right choice over the "comfort ride" versions.

Having the rig weighed during a trip and then adjusting the tire pressure appropriately also improved handling and ride-comfort.

One thing on my mind is improving the comfort of the rear suspension without breaking the bank and without a sacrifice to handling. Sulastic Shackles catches my curiosity for their simplistic approach. I would try them but don't want to fork up the money just to take them off if they significantly impact handling.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:46 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ron lists the holy grail of what you can do..

IMO alot is perception.. you have an RV not a normal van or newer SUV or Tahoe.. It is a heavy cube with top weight wallowing down the road..

I have had an older 21 footer and now an older 29 foot. E350.. Neither came with a rear sway bar.. That I added (roadmaster) and it helped,
motherhome specific shocks.. The 21 took different shocks than the 29..
Goodtires, proper pressure is huge.. FRt wheel alignment ,, extra caster..
HD frt stabilzer..
So all the basics mentioned..
I just did a trip this weekend, upstate PA to update NY and back.. 80mph on open roads trying to to get run over.. then mostly windy seconday stuff, even an 11-12% grade hill from a 180 turn, 1st gear mashed for 1.6 miles ..towing 4300..

OK I lost the box of Pizza of the counter on one turn,, oops.. but all in all none of my 3 siberian huskys complained or my wife .. well she did call me mario...

I can say that my 29 foot E350 is way more stabile than my 21 was.. just in feel, yes the 29 is more old style caddy, floats but smooth, the shorter RV would corner wind roads but over all, stiffer overall..

Good luck..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:50 AM   #5

I read and searched and looked at what each of the different manufactures were doing to their Class Cs and finally just ordered this full set:

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Stag...C-Handling-Kit

It was cheaper than buying all the parts indavidually. The pieces came in slowly over the summer so I was able to add a part while still using the rv. That way I got to see how much of a difference it was as each part was added.

Altogether it is a great ride now and I don't feel I wasted any money. Even my wife talks about how much of an improvement it all made. Each part was good, together it's great.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:44 AM   #6

This was interesting.

We just returned home from a month long trip out west in our Phoenix Cruiser 2350 (2007 E350 chassis), the one I previously mentioned with the list of suspension upgrades. At one point during our trip, we met up with friends who rented a Cruise America rig with the same wheel base and a foot longer (2019 E350 chassis).

At one point during the trip, our friends rode in our rig for roughly 40 miles. Their comments were quite interesting. They were very impressed with the quality of the ride of our rig compared to their rig. All the thrashing and instability was a night versus day difference.

If you can adapt to all the deficiencies, then good for you. But as for us with a planned long term ownership (14 years so far and hope to add another 25), I feel it is worth the investment to keep the house in tact, the vehicle safer on the road, and improve our comfort.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:28 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
This was interesting.

We just returned home from a month long trip out west in our Phoenix Cruiser 2350 (2007 E350 chassis), the one I previously mentioned with the list of suspension upgrades. At one point during our trip, we met up with friends who rented a Cruise America rig with the same wheel base and a foot longer (2019 E350 chassis).

At one point during the trip, our friends rode in our rig for roughly 40 miles. Their comments were quite interesting. They were very impressed with the quality of the ride of our rig compared to their rig. All the thrashing and instability was a night versus day difference.

If you can adapt to all the deficiencies, then good for you. But as for us with a planned long term ownership (14 years so far and hope to add another 25), I feel it is worth the investment to keep the house in tact, the vehicle safer on the road, and improve our comfort.
Ron, I will never deny that the upgrades HELP alot.. they can be nite and day or a happy glimmer...

I have had people in my POS 96 E350 and have loaned it out.. One owner had a 2004or so 24 footer e350 , my other buddy had a 2017 31 e450, both said my old beast road awesome, what did i do.?..
At that point was shocks and steering dampner.. new Michelins and alignment.. NO rear stabilzer..
Another guy I recently loaned it to, did about 700 miles with 2 kids, towed a 6x12 trailer with dirt bikes.. His normal rig is a 2021 32 solera that was beached at dealer for plug wires and trans update.
Comments, sucked fuel LOL. Rides soft but kids liked it, not tossed around..
black tank cloggs LOL.. AC noisey..BUT thanks send me a bill for any service..

I think newer , the last few years the chassis is more uniform BUT I still feel that there is a generic chassis that is offered to RV manufactuers then they can add some upgrades or options..
Older late 90's to 2010 ish.. I have seen the same chassis , same year with different frt spring numbers and rear spring packs varied..factory stock van shocks or ford fat shocks used on ambulances and such.. just different RV manufactures.. I am nosey and look at that crap.. I have not been yelled at by owners or dealers.. LOL

Dialing a wierd riding RV is key to a happy camper
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:49 PM   #8

If your C is swaying, leaning, porpoising - giving you that kind of grief - one overlooked idea is, get your weight down to floor level.

Empty out all of those overhead bins of heavy stuff while you're moving. Weight up high makes the rig sway and lean and feel loose. Food cans and dishes and tools are big culprits.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:49 PM   #9

Roadmaster sway bar on the bottom, stock on the top. For the front.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4711.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	344425
Old 09-27-2021, 10:33 PM   #10

I believe the worst handling rigs (without modification) will be the shortest ones with large rear frame extensions where so much weight rests on the rear axle, and so little weight rests on the front axle. That would be the E350 or E450 with a 138" or 158" wheel base. The E350 rear springs will be at or near capacity which translates to a softer ride. The E450 will have significant excessive capacity making for a very rough riding rig. But I would rather have a short E450 for it's thicker frame and other such benefits, then remove a rear leaf spring or two to modify the rear springs closer to the E350.

As the wheel base increases, the weight distribution improves, increasing the load on both axles. I imagine it would be ideal if each axle was loaded to within 200-400 pounds of max capacity. The ride will smooth out with enough weight, and being evenly distributed, the handling of the rig will naturally improve.

Then there is the extra long E450 rig with 3 slide-outs. That swings the pendulum to the other extreme. There is a sweet spot somewhere in the middle.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
If your C is swaying, leaning, porpoising - giving you that kind of grief - one overlooked idea is, get your weight down to floor level.

Empty out all of those overhead bins of heavy stuff while you're moving. Weight up high makes the rig sway and lean and feel loose. Food cans and dishes and tools are big culprits.
I would second what Bobby says here. I use paper plates and plastic cups in the rig as to avoid heavy ceramic dishes. Besides, your on vacation. Who wants to wash dishes? I avoid canned goods too. I don't carry full water either, but we never boondock so we don't need all that weight.
Col. Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Klink View Post
I would second what Bobby says here. I use paper plates and plastic cups in the rig as to avoid heavy ceramic dishes. Besides, your on vacation. Who wants to wash dishes? I avoid canned goods too. I don't carry full water either, but we never boondock so we don't need all that weight.
This is good advise though we are somewhat guilty in this regard because of the effort to place our canned goods and books as far forward as possible to weigh-up our light front axle. Fabricating a book and food storage cabinet where our shoes go behind the passenger seat on the floor would be ideal except that then our shoes would end up in the upper cabinets.....not sure how the Mrs. would go for that. The extra cabinet on the floor there would also interfere with the adjustments of two different seats. Unfortunately some trade-offs are too much.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:14 PM   #13

E350 handling

We bought a 2019 Thor GR22 with 3500 miles on the clock.
Someone traded it after a year and probably gave up on driving it.
During our pre purchase test drive I actually thought it drove pretty well compared to a Cruise America rental we had a few years ago.
Our first trip over the road proved otherwise.
When on interstate highways with passing trucks it wallowed unnervingly.
I did not feel safe at 60 mph and was exhausted after a 3 hour drive.
I worked as a General Motors mechanic for 30 years so I peeked underneath to see what was up.
I was surprised to see flimsy front and rear stabilizer bars front and rear so I upgraded to Roadmaster units and used the emergency vehicle one up front with heavy duty links.
Also added a Henderson track bar to the rear.
It improved the lean around corners quite a bit, the track bar helped the sway.
The twin I beam suspension will pull side to side as it leans as it will change the camber, nature of the beast.
I noticed my Hankook tires were starting to show signs of dry rot so I swapped the tires with General tires and noticed they donít squat as much , I believe that helped too.
I am 75% of the way there, it still feels a little wanky over bumps, but I hesitate to install the safety plus with a spring on the tie rod, somehow that just seems like a cover up.
I have read some reviews where in cross winds you are fighting the spring.
I want to have the caster adjusted to 5 degrees next, and try better shocks and a better steering stabilizer before I go that route.
No matter what you do cross winds will shove you around when you stand at 11 feet.
Even my 4 door pick up gets pushed around.

Bob
camp chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:08 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Best help on the E350 and E450 chassis is bigger antiroll bars and urethane bushings. The Bilstein heavy duty shocks.

Ken

Tags
ford, suspension