Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #1

Ford E450

Hello All,
I recently purchased a 2016 Forester with the E450 engine. I have noticed that whenever I turn, either direction, I get a knocking sound. Driving straight on the interstate no problem.
Any ideas.
Thanks
John
jzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 06:11 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Hard to tell - maybe something is binding? I'd have it looked at. Our previous RV was on an E-450 chassis and we didn't have any issues with noises on turns.
anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:53 PM   #3

Can you be a little more specific on the knock sound. Does it happen when you are driving away from a stop sign and making a slow turn left or right? Is it actually a knock sound or more like a bang or pop noise? Where does the noise seem to be coming from - front engine compartment, middle of the Motor home or at the rear axle?

I have an E450 that started making a bang noise when I made a slow left or right turn from a stop sign. Turned out to be the long metal heat deflector plate that runs in between the exhaust pipe and the floor. A couple of the screws holding it to the chassis came loose and was catching and binding on the chassis when turning due to flexing. I tightening them back up and the noise disappeared.

Greg
Greg950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:14 AM   #4

2016? brand new,I would take it in and get it checked asap.
Could be loose or cracked wheel,tire hitting chassis etc.

get it looked at
dave

let us know what you find please
dakratdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:58 AM   #5

The sound is sort of knocking/creaking. Only happens when in drive. For example if I turn the wheel with my foot on the break I get the sound. If in park and turn the wheel no sound. Its coming from under the drivers compartment somewhere by the step in. I took it to ford and they couldn't find anything said everything appeared tight. They were going to call ford tech to discuss next steps. Scheduled to bring it back in on Monday.
I will let everyone know how it turns out. I hoping nothing to serious.
Thanks
John
Old 12-05-2015, 07:25 AM   #6

Are you heading this noise when not moving ?

If it happens when not moving with your foot on the brake, the brakes will creek due to 1 wheel rolling slightly foward and 1 back due to the steering geometry.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Any resolution to the problem? I am curious because I just took delivery of a 2016 FR Sunseeker with the E450 chassis, and haven't had a lot of driving time behind the wheel.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #8

Hi everyone,
Issue resolved. The problem was the one of the bracket mounts for the driver side step was getting torqued every time the I turned the steering wheel creating knocking/creaking sound. The fix was just to insert rubber washers in the bracket bolt.

Thanks for everyone's input. I am thankful it was nothing serious.

John

Tags
e450, ford