Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2020, 08:32 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekeris01 View Post
I don't have an RV as of yet, but have been studying the stats, etc vs my needs and paying attention on here, some.

I was practically raised in a GMC dealership in the 60's and 70's, so I will admit that the competition between Ford and GM left me a bit prejudiced.

There is another member on here that had some extensive skills and he had a Concord Ford and ended up gutting the cab and installing all kinds of sound batting and insulating the cab that the factory didn't, just to make the interior tolerable.

Your quandary between Ford and Chevy has been bothering me for quite some time as well and my initial interest was in the Concord model. After finding one to explore, I realized it didn't have much exterior storage I would want, nor did it seem to be set up very well for someone to spend more than a week or two in it, and I then turned toward the Forrest River Classic 2861DS/ Sunseeker 2860DS, with those also being available in the Ford or Chevy. It appears to me that the Chevy Chassis is limited to 30 foot or less Models across all manufacturers.

The first thing my wife, the Navigator, pointed out to me was the obvious discomfort any passenger with legs will have in the Ford, however the lack of availability of the Chevy is an issue. As we travel with no RV for now, we tend to drive long stretches at a time with single destinations in mind, which I am certain will change when we are able to make our RV investment in the not too distant future.

We were looking at Class C's primarily for the safety features (airbags) and with the theory that we would more likely be able to get preventive maintenance done such as Oil Changes, since I am no longer able to perform them myself.

We also intend to do a lot of dry camping both en route and upon arrival and the ability to park without extending slides is a big consideration for us, as would be the body and frame clearance. Our towed will be a 2010 CR-V on a Dolly.

I have read on these forums and seen many instances on Youtube of owners of the Ford Chassis who felt the need to install upgraded suspensions, sway bars and shocks on their stock models.

In addition to the doghouse issue, the Chevy universally has a 2500 lb smaller tow capacity and a 57 gal fuel tank vs, the Ford and its 55 gal. The more recent maintenance and quality of the GM build has deteriorated greatly from what I have been able to determine, which also gives me pause in my consideration.

We have also considered a few Ford Transit Class B's for their "stealth", HOA (driveway) consideration and ease of maneuverability (no outside storage, universal wet/tiny baths, no tow capacity and obscenely over priced) and a new bare bones Coachmen Cross Trek 27XG, (which has no Generator, just a big honking house battery).

As a result of all of this, we are now seriously considering a 30 foot Class A gas Fleetwood on the Ford Truck body. It has a reduced doghouse size with the V-8 7.2 L , more room in the kitchen and more comfortable living space, and comes stock with these suspension additions for about the same costs or only little more additional pricing, depending upon mostly RV Trader prices.

We are still probably a year out from making our investment, being held up by some family issues, but I hope this can help you in some fashion.

No matter which brand of motorhome you finally purchase, Do Not, and I repeat do not dolly tow when you have a flat tow vehicle such as a Honda CRV. If you are physically unable to perform maintenance on an RV you certainly will not enjoy hooking up and disconnecting a tow dolly! Spend the money on a flat tow set up, you’ll be happy you did trust me! I found out the hard way!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2020, 04:37 PM   #72

Passenger side heat a nonissue

I just rode the passenger side of a Ford E350 for 6 hours with the air on high at 100 degrees and had my leg leaning on the middle thing. Warm but not hot at all.
Sclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:53 PM   #73

We had a Thor Chateau on a Chevy 3500 and now have a Jayco Melbourne on a Ford E450. Both 32'. The chevy was somewhat lighter but was a dog on the hills or when towing. The cab was quieter and roomier. Both got the same gas mileage of about 9 mpg. Since I tow often, I prefer the Ford.
Everybody has a preference.
Paul1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:37 AM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I don't have an RV as of yet, but have been studying the stats, etc vs my needs and paying attention on here, some.

I was practically raised in a GMC dealership in the 60's and 70's, so I will admit that the competition between Ford and GM left me a bit prejudiced.

There is another member on here that had some extensive skills and he had a Concord Ford and ended up gutting the cab and installing all kinds of sound batting and insulating the cab that the factory didn't, just to make the interior tolerable.

Your quandary between Ford and Chevy has been bothering me for quite some time as well and my initial interest was in the Concord model. After finding one to explore, I realized it didn't have much exterior storage I would want, nor did it seem to be set up very well for someone to spend more than a week or two in it, and I then turned toward the Forrest River Classic 2861DS/ Sunseeker 2860DS, with those also being available in the Ford or Chevy. It appears to me that the Chevy Chassis is limited to 30 foot or less Models across all manufacturers.

The first thing my wife, the Navigator, pointed out to me was the obvious discomfort any passenger with legs will have in the Ford, however the lack of availability of the Chevy is an issue. As we travel with no RV for now, we tend to drive long stretches at a time with single destinations in mind, which I am certain will change when we are able to make our RV investment in the not too distant future.

We were looking at Class C's primarily for the safety features (airbags) and with the theory that we would more likely be able to get preventive maintenance done such as Oil Changes, since I am no longer able to perform them myself.

We also intend to do a lot of dry camping both en route and upon arrival and the ability to park without extending slides is a big consideration for us, as would be the body and frame clearance. Our towed will be a 2010 CR-V on a Dolly.

I have read on these forums and seen many instances on Youtube of owners of the Ford Chassis who felt the need to install upgraded suspensions, sway bars and shocks on their stock models.

In addition to the doghouse issue, the Chevy universally has a 2500 lb smaller tow capacity and a 57 gal fuel tank vs, the Ford and its 55 gal. The more recent maintenance and quality of the GM build has deteriorated greatly from what I have been able to determine, which also gives me pause in my consideration.

We have also considered a few Ford Transit Class B's for their "stealth", HOA (driveway) consideration and ease of maneuverability (no outside storage, universal wet/tiny baths, no tow capacity and obscenely over priced) and a new bare bones Coachmen Cross Trek 27XG, (which has no Generator, just a big honking house battery).

As a result of all of this, we are now seriously considering a 30 foot Class A gas Fleetwood on the Ford Truck body. It has a reduced doghouse size with the V-8 7.2 L , more room in the kitchen and more comfortable living space, and comes stock with these suspension additions for about the same costs or only little more additional pricing, depending upon mostly RV Trader prices.

We are still probably a year out from making our investment, being held up by some family issues, but I hope this can help you in some fashion.
So much is a preference.. Having a large classB /small C,, custom conversion 21ft.. IT was/is cute fit my needs for 8 years..+ 60-80k of travels.. has 190 on it and would go tomorrow cross country..
now still \older Class C 30 ft on a ford of the era 460 powered..
It is limited on GCWR as compared to a E450 but options and build plays a role in th grand show...
I have Class C becasue I was a van guy, plain van for camp and travel, then 2 custom hi tops then the ....
I was familiar, can fix it, being handy and mechaninc, jack of every trade,,

All that said.. IF I was going to be a week long warrirr or travel the USA.. more than my present use of 12-18 weekends a year if that..
THEN a small Class A based on the F53 in the 30-32 foot range would be my choice.. The leg room and OPEN feel up front makes entire RV seem bigger and roomy as it is in an A..
Diesel would be intersting.. in a Class A but these forums are filled with ying and yang, joys and horrors..
The new ford motor is promisiing and once a tuner gets it I can see good stuff.. If I was going NEW then wait for this new chassis/motor to roll.. The old V10 was a goody and still has merit..
Expect a bit od chassis tuning if you are particular but Flat towing a small toad is best and helps the experience..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:34 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post
No matter which brand of motorhome you finally purchase, Do Not, and I repeat do not dolly tow when you have a flat tow vehicle such as a Honda CRV. If you are physically unable to perform maintenance on an RV you certainly will not enjoy hooking up and disconnecting a tow dolly! Spend the money on a flat tow set up, you’ll be happy you did trust me! I found out the hard way!
I have Cervical fusions that restrict my ability to look up, climb under and reach around, but I don't have any aversion or incapacity to lift or drag what I need to. I also have a very particular spouse to whom the 2010 CR-V "belongs" to, as it is in very near mint condition, so I am very loathe to invest in any "re-engineering" of the bumper area.

At the risk of distracting the original thread, could you expound on this just a little, please?
Creekeris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:07 AM   #76

Does anyone know if Fords new Godzilla engine gives more cab room?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:19 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I have the same question , all I have found out was the new Godzilla engine is only 25.5 " wide @ valve covers . I don't know how wide the V-10 is there or if the difference shows up on the inside engine cover or not . My size 13 shoes don't have much room with that V-10 for sure ! ( I have only used a rental RV w/ the E-450 , V-10 so I can't measure now )
TourNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:51 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
If buying a brand new rig, keep in-mind that Ford's model year 2021 which is available today, has a brand new 7.3L engine that is supposed to be superior to the current 6.8L V10 engine. That could be a positive thing, or a negative thing, pending your own opinion. The argument being that it is not wise to buy the first year of a newly introduced engine. But given there are other chassis improvements, it might be worth the risk and get a 2021 model year regardless.
Well , I wanted to get a Minnie Winnie 31K with this new 7.3 gas engine someday in the next couple years , like a used slightly one to cut down on initial cost a bunch . I am giving up on ever getting a RV now in my life @ 67 . Look how many old E-450 , V-10 chassis they have to go through before even the first V-8 ! --- map says year 2020 at the bottom but who knows if that is true ? : https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2509.../data=!3m1!1e3
Old 07-31-2020, 05:13 PM   #79
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I wouldn't worry about 67 as I just bought one at 76 years. I will get a few years out of it and then give it to my son (46).
Old 07-31-2020, 05:39 PM   #80

Hmmm ... I wonder how much "superior" to the V10 the new V8 will be? IMHO, the main inferiority problem with the V10 is either RV owners not knowing how to fully tap it's horsepower - or knowing how but not liking what they have to do.

P.S. I'm 77 and dieting and exercising like mad to try and enjoy a few more years with our 2005 bought-new-in-2006 Class C.

Hopefully/maybe/possibly next year -> Alaska here we come!
Phil G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:45 PM   #81

JCM is right, 67 is a youngster. There's a guy parked next to me at the park who's 84 and has no intention of stopping. He believes its RVing that keeps him alive and running. And I agree with him, how many live in an area where their friends have moved or died and the only people they see is when they shop once a week.

How many people do you know who you've met on the road? People you stop in and see on your trips? And the new people you meet at your next RV park? Yes sir, you give me out and about around other like minded people to give me reason to go on living!
Old 07-31-2020, 10:37 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I can only go by pics in RV Trader. Some Class A's already are claiming the new engine in their sales brochure's online and the RV Trader pics that say it has the new engine seem to have a shorter doghouse, can't speak to width. Haven't seen one in a C yet.
Creekeris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:08 PM   #83

Quote:
I can only go by pics in RV Trader. Some Class A's already are claiming the new engine in their sales brochure's online and the RV Trader pics that say it has the new engine seem to have a shorter doghouse, can't speak to width. Haven't seen one in a C yet.
That would make sense with 2 less cylinders . Sure hope doghouse is less wide too !
Old 08-01-2020, 07:23 AM   #84

Quote:
I have Cervical fusions that restrict my ability to look up, climb under and reach around, but I don't have any aversion or incapacity to lift or drag what I need to. I also have a very particular spouse to whom the 2010 CR-V "belongs" to, as it is in very near mint condition, so I am very loathe to invest in any "re-engineering" of the bumper area.

At the risk of distracting the original thread, could you expound on this just a little, please?
I hate to get away from the original post topic, but here goes; I am in need of back surgery but because of all the Covid stuff I never received it. I have bulging disc on L4 & L5 now L5 is protruding, it’s outside of my vertebrae and is on my nerve. I cannot tell you the pain this causes!!!!!!. Struggling with this back issue for quite a while, we used a tow dolly for 3-4 years and the dolly caused my last Back episode just last year. I couldn’t walk, sleep or do ANYTHING for 2months! ALL BECAUSE OF MOVING THE TOW-DOLLY! My wife and I kept talking about getting rid of it but it would cause us to sell or trade in our car and buy something that was suitable for us and also flat towable. I traded in a very nice 20011 Toyota Highlander Limited for a 2014 Honda CRV with only 16,000 miles on it, in absolutely perfect condition, fully loaded. Took me eight months to find one in this condition.

If you’re worried about the installation of the flat tow system on your Honda CRV ,find a reputable company and get it done!. I found a great guy in South Florida he did an excellent job, and I am an ex-mechanic from my younger years. I was very concerned about the fit and finish when he was done I went over the entire vehicle carefully and realized I could not have done it better myself! Only people familiar with RVing and flat towing can tell my car is a flat tow vehicle!, It’s that well hidden an integrated. Another plus for safety is the bumper that will be removed is a thin piece of crap, the new bumper is probably three times to four times as strong!

I now connect/disconnect my veh with little to no stress on my body in 15 min. And no longer worry about storage of the dolly at home or at a camp ground , (some don’t allow to store at your site), Besides moving and storing the tow Dolly You will have to crawl under the car and tow Dolly, lay on your back, find a suitable location to hook up safety chains to your cars frame then ratchet strap your tires to the dolly, drive a few blocks get out and retighten the straps. You will have to replace the ratchet straps every 3 years or when they start to fray or stitching starts to come undone.

Ask yourself and significant other; what’s more important in your life?, the way the car looks, or your health and well-being?

Good luck stay well keep us posted.
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy, e450, ford