RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2020, 08:40 PM   #1

Ford E450 vs Chevy 4500

Hi guys, Let me start by telling you that I know next to nothing about the Class C motorhome. Started looking at them for the first time this weekend. I was looking at the Coachmen Concord and Leprechaun and found a couple floorplans I like. I saw they offered both Ford and Chevy platforms. Three questions please.
1. What are the Pros and cons Ford VS. Chevy?
2. What do you think of The Coachmen Brand?
3. What do you think of the Concord and Leprechaun model’s?

Thank you

WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2020, 09:58 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
We have a Jayco on a Ford chassis. A family member has a Chevy chassis class C. My thoughts are that the Ford has slightly higher GVWR and higher towing capacity. I like the performance of the engine and transmission combination. But the Chevrolet easily wins in terms of cab space, leg room and is quieter in the cab while driving. The cab floor of the Ford gets very hot and I didn't notice that with the Chevrolet.

Finally, we have spent quite a bit on aftermarket upgrades to get our Ford to drive and handle better. I think the Chevrolet will drive and handle better than the Ford without the upgrades.

I have no first hand knowledge of the brands or models you mention, so can't help you there. Good luck with whatever your choice turns out to be.

oldecmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:01 AM   #3

Thanks for that oldecmech, We have found that true from even an SUV standpoint. Chevrolet gives a more comfortable ride and legroom. I’m over 6’ so that’s important to me. I just watched a video last night with a Ford and Chevy van hauling 7 tons of weight. (Not 100% sure to the toneage). On a straightaway, 7% grade etc the Chevy just walked away from the Ford. It also got over 2 mpg Better than Ford. Pretty impressive. On the 7% grade the Chevy passed the Ford going over 60 mph doing it and the Ford couldn’t get to 60! It was really quite impressive.

Again thanks for the shout.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:23 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have never driven a ford class c so I can't*comment on anything other than the lack of legroom*up front, that's why we passed on the ford. I can tell you with my chevy chassis, passing trucks and wind are non issues, the cab is fairly quiet,and I feel no engine heat. I have towed a 2000 town and country with a dolly (heavy) and never felt under powered. Now I tow a CRV and my MPG is anywhere between 8.7 and 10.2. I'm close to 20,000 miles and my only issue was the ABS light staying on, that was fixed at the dealer. I hope this helps......Bruce
Old 07-13-2020, 07:46 AM   #5

Thanks Bruce and that does help. It’s another confirmation of going with a Chevy. I don’t know if all companies offer both Ford and Chevy platforms but i will limit my search to the Chevy!
Old 07-13-2020, 08:02 AM   #6

I had 30' class a with workhorse chassis 8.1 496 ci chev engine. I now have Coachman 26' on Ford E450 V-10. Pulling a 18' IO boat or Chev 4 w Blazer the Chev wae at least 20 to 30 % stronger. Pulling the same grades the Chev will run and hide from the ford. Like everyone has said the cab is small, and the passenger side will burn your leg. I do not know if the one you are look at has 496 engine that was the very best gas engine ever put in a RV and or truck. The Ford V10 6.8L is 413 CI, Chev V8 8.1L is 496 CI. The old Dodge V10 (a great engine) that had a lot of power. I had four Dodge V10 they were real workhorse. I think Dodge forced Ford to make a wimpy V10. My Class A with Chev 8.1 V8 got better mileage than my Class C with Ford 6.8 V10. Chev discounted the 8.1 engine a few years back. But I think MercCurser still uses them.
magoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:17 AM   #7
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I had a 28’ Four Winds on a E350. Spent a fair amount getting it stable on the road.

Now I have a 29’ Leprechaun on a 4500. Stock it is better in wind and big rigs passing. It also has three times more mileage on it over the Ford. No problem with size 13 shoes getting back into the house.

I love the layout because I do not need to run the slide out for daily use.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:14 AM   #8

Thanks NRR, BTW do like your Leprechaun? Did you also look at the Concord, is there much difference between the two? I saw a video with the slides in and it was impressive. You could get to everything in the coach. I wish there were more videos starting with the slides in.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hi guys, Let me start by telling you that I know next to nothing about the Class C motorhome. Started looking at them for the first time this weekend. I was looking at the Coachmen Concord and Leprechaun and found a couple floorplans I like. I saw they offered both Ford and Chevy platforms. Three questions please.
1. What are the Pros and cons Ford VS. Chevy?
2. What do you think of The Coachmen Brand?
3. What do you think of the Concord and Leprechaun model’s?

Thank you
What length/size Class C are you considering between the two chassis?

(We have a 24 foot Class C on a Ford E450 chassis that we bought new.)

There have never been any handling problems with it ... maybe because the E450 chassis - as designed - has a large weight carrying margin when used under a small Class C.

Any passenger side floor warm floor issues are eliminated easily in the Ford cab by turning the knob on the dash so as to direct the A/C air to the floor.

I'm 6'2" tall and am very comfortable driving it ... however our coach design allows me to slide the driver's seat all the way back and also tilt the back of the driver's seat back well beyond vertical. Tall drivers need to watch for this in the coach floor plan if buying a Class C based on a Ford E350 or E450 chassis.

Since the dog house in a Ford reaches further into the cab area than in the Chevy cab area ... the overall length of the chassis is - and must be - longer with the Chevy chassis because the "engine nose" sticks further out in the front.

With a small Class C, the aggressive rear differential ratio of the E450 chassis (as compared to the E350 chassis) provides plenty of pulling power and speed on all grades we have ever encountered in the Western U.S.. We can easily pass trucks and many Class A motorhomes when going up grades.
Phil G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:15 PM   #10

Every thing is changing with Ford Motorhome power in 2021. The old V-10 is going away due to emissions and the new 7.3 liter Godzilla V-8 is being installed. In addition an all new, much stronger chassis is attached for better handling and load capacity.

This motor was introduced in the Pickup and Worktruck lineup from Ford last year and has pretty good responses.

Still unproven in Motorhome use, but imagine they will work any bugs out quickly, but some are worried about getting the first year of production.

I like that it pulls more like a Diesel, with lots of torque way down low. It has more HP than the older V-10 that needed to rev like crazy to get up and down hills.

Some drivers improvements will be better dash, GPS display, automatic cruise control, automatic headlight dimming and better side camera integration. Motor should be much quieter, pull stronger and perhaps even get a bit better mileage. It is a less expensive motor to build and is smaller. This will give it additional cooling, and perhaps the doghouse will stay cooler as well.
Unclepaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:32 PM   #11

Hi Phil, My coach of primary interest right now is the Coachmen Concord 300DS CHEVY 4500 - DSO 33’3” Foot. The floorplan I like best is the Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB and it’s 32’11” but it is Ford only.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hi Phil, My coach of primary interest right now is the Coachmen Concord 300DS CHEVY 4500 - DSO 33’3” Foot. The floorplan I like best is the Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB and it’s 32’11” but it is Ford only.
Those lengths you're considering are generous and probably near the outer limits of what both the Chevy 4500 and Fore E450 chassis can handle in a motorhome.

We picked up our small E450 Class C so as to be most safe and reliable in off-highway use, as required for such activities as fishing and rock hounding travel and camping out in the boondocks. But we're only part-time RV'ers so we can tolerate less coach room for short periods.
Phil G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:16 PM   #13

I think the bigger ones only come with Ford engine. I like mine.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:25 PM   #14

The Ford E450 versus the Chevy 4500, the Chevy wins with regards to comfort, but the Ford wins in reliability/quality and capability. Mind-you it wins by a little, not by a landslide. If you are on the fence with what you like, I would pick the Ford, but if you favor the Chevy by any amount, then get the Chevy.

If buying a brand new rig, keep in-mind that Ford's model year 2021 which is available today, has a brand new 7.3L engine that is supposed to be superior to the current 6.8L V10 engine. That could be a positive thing, or a negative thing, pending your own opinion. The argument being that it is not wise to buy the first year of a newly introduced engine. But given there are other chassis improvements, it might be worth the risk and get a 2021 model year regardless.

Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy, e450, ford