Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2016, 09:48 PM   #1

Ford F550 in Denver is broken

My starter has failed in Denver on a F550 based Class C. I cannot find anyone who will work on it. Any suggestions? 5 dealers have said they do not work on RVs and to take the issue to Ford !
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 10:11 PM   #2

What is happening that makes you think the starter is not working? What exactly does it do when you try to start it? Does it only need a starter solenoid? I live in the Denver area and if it only needs a solenoid I would be happy to help.

Thanks
Adam
afrohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:15 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Offhand I would think changing out the starter on a F550 would be relatively easy. How about a mobile mechanic via Craigslist?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:28 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Responses like you got makes no sense to me. Changing a starter is just that changing a starter. If you've done one they are all about the same with many technical issues based on different models. It's still just a starter.

The primary reason a lot of shops don't like to work on RV's is the liability of working on and around somebodies rolling home. To work on these things the techs have to approach all repairs in a different manner.

They have to be careful when they drive or just to walk inside your coach. We don't want them getting grease on the floor, or seats. The story can go on and on and you get the picture.

I have a student who owns and works on semi tankers. His response to this issue was simple. He said, "If I can't lift up the hood and walk into the engine compartment I don't and won't work on it."

Adam, that was very kind of you to offer your assistance. A feather for your cap.

TeJay
Old 08-25-2016, 11:16 PM   #5

I would call FORD and ask them if they can provide any local service contacts and also ask them if there is some kind of nation wide list for their large trucks.

My starter went out last summer in Alabama. The mobile tech brought out the wrong starter to work with my bell housing and it took a lot longer to fix, almost the entire day cooking in a WalMart parking lot.

I had my Onan generator running for over 48 hours during that one. Thank God it never stopped. It was HOT!!
Old 08-26-2016, 12:03 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford dealers saying call Ford?!
Or RV dealers saying call Ford?

Either way, there should be a national number to Ford in your owner'should manual. I would call the factory customer service and asked them for a referral to a shop that takes RV's.
This would be no different than for a regular Class C with E-Series cab/chassis.

BTW, there are RV's serviced at one local Ford truck center local to us, but the other Ford Dealer near us does not service them.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:27 PM   #7

Thanks

Don't you hate it when you never hear the end of the story. I did a suggested above. Called both Ford and the Born Free Factory as well as Good Sam. Lots of to and fro, over 30 phone calls and finally got an appointment for Monday with Rush Ford plus a $ 700 tow bill from Deerfield to their place. No one would confirm they had the part but promised they could get it but not necessarily on Monday. I had a lot of race car mechanics around me so they decided to tear into the system, and discovered we could start it by triggering the exciter wire on the solonoid so in theory I could drive back to Texas as long as I let the engine run continuously. Then they got into the fuse box and discovered the relay had failed. Swapped it for the tow battery charge relay and the truck started right up. So moral of the story is even when you hear the starter clicking it's still dubious. But not a great experience. Good Sam were way more helpful than Ford who just could not understand the problem. Clearly I found someone in customer service who was struggling with the concept of a truck and an RV being the same vehicle. Not surprising since he was clearly not in the US.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:12 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow...great story...congrats.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:11 PM   #9

Great story to hear about guys helping you out.

The local Ford dealer near my sister's place sells all sorts of large Ford/Izuzu trucks out of a separate truck facility between the used cars and new car buildings.

I saw several F-550 SD with the Powerstroke engines. I drove around the back and saw at least 6 large service bay doors big enough to pull a semi tractor into.

Talked to the service manager for that department and asked if they had any problem servicing a F550 Class C motorhome that's 36' long. He said if it's on a F550 chassis, no problem at all. They don't care that it's a coach.

Don't know what you will do. But, if I get one of these, I will compile a nation wide list dealers that at least sell this chassis and go from there.

Probably a call to Ford may make things quicker.

Let us know how your warranty work gets handled and if you find a local shop for those no break down service jobs.

Tags
ford