Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2020, 06:49 AM   #15
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
My first class C was a 2011 Chateau 28A on a E350 chassis. After an alignment, a 5 Star tune & a Safe-T-Plus was added. It handled well I thought. The dog house was a real pain when trying to get back into the house. The engine noise when down shifting for rolling hills was loud.

Then I found the layout I really liked on a 2014 Leprechaun 29QB. It is on a stock Chevy 4500 Chassis. After a long test trip to have my mechanic inspect it because I knew nothing about Chevys. I was amazed how stable it drove in cross winds and when big rigs came by me. It needed front shocks but nothing else. Also there is enough room for my size 13 shoes to easily pass by the dog house when getting up to go into the house. Driving on the same rolling hills you may feel the surge in power when it down shifts. But you really have to focus on engine sound to hear the engine rev up.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
It seems the Chevy is more refined for domestic use, the Ford more for commercial use. So the Chevy 3500 experience will be a little more comfortable than with a Ford E350, as well as the 4500 versus the E450. But the Ford E350/E450 is not a disaster by comparison, it's just less domesticated.

But the Ford exceeds the Chevy because of it's higher commercial rating. It is a more robust chassis. The question at hand is, is it necessary for a motorhome? Some people will say yes, others will so no. I personally feel the Chevy is ideal as long as the load it carries is appropriate for the chassis rating.
Ron ... it sure would be great if someone would post detailed cutaway van chassis specs for late models of the Ford E350 and E450, and the Chevy 3500 and 4500.

I guess I don't quite understand why Chevy 4500 chassis specs would be much - if at all - inferior to Ford E450 specs.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
But the Ford exceeds the Chevy because of it's higher commercial rating.
You mean the slightly lower GVWR of the Chevy? It weighs less, so it has the same payload rating within a few pounds.

8940 vs. 8980 pounds.

https://www.gmfleet.com/vans/chevrol...away-3500-4500

https://www.ford.com/commercial-truc...es/capability/

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:47 PM   #18

Wink Something think about...

On both Ford and Chevy if you have a street side slide your ability to slide back/recline the drivers seat is going to be compromised. I'm 5' 9" and have no issues with the leg room in my 2012 E-350.

Another consideration is the drivers seat itself. The Ford power drivers seat is almost infinitely adjustable. Don't know if Chevy has anything comparable but I have sat in a Chevy manual seat and it is not fun, I can only imagine how not fun it would be on a long drive. After 6+ years and 60k+ miles I still have yet to get excess heat from the dog house. As far as mileage {expect 9 - 10} they are far more alike than different, mostly it depends on how you drive.

If your Ford {350 or 450} is properly aligned and has the correct psi for the load you are hauling there are zero handling issues. I've seen lots of folks throw copious amount of cash at the so called handling problem but mostly they are searching for a solution for which there is no known problem {the government does this a lot}.

As always... Opinions and YMMV

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
On both Ford and Chevy if you have a street side slide your ability to slide back/recline the drivers seat is going to be compromised. I'm 5' 9" and have no issues with the leg room in my 2012 E-350.

Another consideration is the drivers seat itself. The Ford power drivers seat is almost infinitely adjustable. Don't know if Chevy has anything comparable but I have sat in a Chevy manual seat and it is not fun, I can only imagine how not fun it would be on a long drive. After 6+ years and 60k+ miles I still have yet to get excess heat from the dog house. As far as mileage {expect 9 - 10} they are far more alike than different, mostly it depends on how you drive.

If your Ford {350 or 450} is properly aligned and has the correct psi for the load you are hauling there are zero handling issues. I've seen lots of folks throw copious amount of cash at the so called handling problem but mostly they are searching for a solution for which there is no known problem {the government does this a lot}.

As always... Opinions and YMMV

Thanks very much for posting your excellent response!
I found it very helpful.
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:59 PM   #20
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
At 5’ 11” I have had no problem with leg room in an E350 or the current 4500. Getting into the house is easier in the 4500.

I worried about the Chevy driver’s seat. So far I have to say they are similar for comfort. I think some of that is due to the softer ride up front on the Chevy.

I do take issue with the handling of a Ford verses a Chevy. When I bought the Ford used at 15k miles. The PO had not done anything to it. The first thing I did was have an alignment so the caster (?) was 5 degrees or so. Worth every penny. Made a huge difference in cross winds and big rigs passing.

The Chevy I have now had 40k miles on it when purchased. It was stock. It needed front shocks. Without new shocks it was still a dream to test drive on the interstate with real bad cross winds & trucks passing.

I bought my current camper for its floor plan. The plus was the Chevy 4500 chassis.

I am a Ford guy. So much so I had a Superformance replica of a Shelby 1965 AC Cobra for a number of years. It let you get stupid and still live to talk about how stupid you were on the road. This Chevy thing is new to me. But so far I like the 4500.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, chevy, ford