Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2020, 02:52 PM   #1

Ford or Chevy chassis ??

I'm probably overlooking the correct forum to find this info...??

We're on the hunt for a class c to buy and see both the Ford and Chevy chassis.

I need to read up on input on which chassis is best and why?

Thanks
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2020, 03:08 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
LOTS of Ford chassis E350 and E450 Class Cs are available. Very limited number of Chevy chassis Class C. In fact it's easier finding a Mercedes Benz Sprinter Class C then a Chevy. Every year folk say that's going to change... soon. But it never seems to happen.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:09 PM   #3

If you prefer Chevy, some Super Cs have a Chevy chassis, but they're diesels and are pricey. Not sure what your budget allows.
As suggested, Ford sells the most chassis for class/type A and C motorhomes.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:44 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have a Coachmen 26DS on a Chevy chassis. I picked the Chevy because it had a lot*more leg room in the cab.Driving it is wonderful, I don't feel wind or passing trucks. I pulled a 2001 Chrysler Town and Country on a tow dolly (heavy) for the first 3 or 4 thousand miles, and now I flat tow a CRV. They pulled about the same. Pulling*steep*grades is not an issue. MPG is any where between 9 and 10 in tow haul mode. I downsized from a 42 foot diesel*tag axel, and I thought I wouldn't like the handling*of a class c, I was wrong.......Bruce
Old 04-13-2020, 06:44 AM   #5

I have a 2019 Coachmen 21QB. Test drove the Ford E450 with V-10 and Chevy 4500 with 6 liter. I chose the Chevy over the Ford because it had a better ride and was much quieter. Haven't regretted my choice. Averaging 13-13.5 mpg.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:13 AM   #6

Ford has been making the v-10 motor since 1997 on class c van chassis and is a good reliable engine and chassis. You can get parts anywhere and people know how to work on it. I don't have a lot of chevy knowledge. You just don't see too many on the road.
KJohn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:05 PM   #7

chevy or ford

i have a ford e350 sd. if i would have looked more i would have bought a chevy. chevy is a lot less noise and much more leg room the ride is also better
JUST my opinon. good luck

DREAMER
FMCA 200924
push toy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:05 PM   #8

I've posted this info several times, in various threads.

Chevy Chassis is available from at least 4 major RV Manufacturers.

Coachman
Forest River
Gulf Stream
Jayco

In 2014 Minnie Winnie 25B was available on Chevy Chassis, but only for that one year I believe.

Chevy offers much more leg room up front- about 6 inches more clearance to get around the doghouse.
(Fords are quite cramped, even for me, and I'm only 5-11)
Many say Chevy rides smoother and handles better.
Some claim heat and noise from Chevy dog house is tad less- but still quite noticeable.

Chevy chassis offers less CCC and tops out in towing at 5000 lbs.
Michael1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:10 PM   #9

Ford vs Chevy chassis

In their current format ; I much prefer the Chevy over the Ford chassis in the smaller Class C. More cab room, quieter engine, better mpg, and much better handling. However Ford is upgrading their chassis this year with a new engine and suspension upgrades. I haven’t heard anything about Chevy upgrading theirs yet. So perhaps Ford will address their issues and be my choice. If anyone has more information on a Chevy upgrade please post it. I have been waiting until the fall to purchase in order to compare the two latest chassis . I mostly wish that Ford increases their cab room. I am only 5’9 and I feel cramped in it. I don’t know how the taller drivers deal with it. The Chevy cab is much more comfortable with much more room.
Kenmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:10 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I feel no heat at all from the engine cover.....Bruce
Old 04-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #11

If you compare like Models from Coachman, Forest River, Gulfstream and Jayco, what you consistently see is the Chevy version is 6 inches longer- with IDENTICAL floor plans and otherwise dimensions.

That extra 6 inches of length is the Dog House is 6 inches further Forward in the Chevy,
as opposed to the Ford.

It makes a huge difference, especially when exiting your seat and going directly to the back
of the Coach. In a Ford you have to be a gymnast :-)

Just be aware, if you have Slides (plural), leveling jacks, carry a spare tire, extra TVs, etc
you're going to gobble up CCC. I've seen Chevy Class C's with as little as 900 lbs CCC,
because of how they were configured and equipped.

Subtract about 350 lbs for water, another 300 lbs for 2 adults, and you'd be left with less than
300 lbs of CCC for propane, food, clothing, etc.

More typical of Class C Chevy's I've looked at, is the CCC is about 1400 to 1500 lbs.

For a Class C, 22 to maybe 27 ft in length, Chevy is my choice.

But we all have different needs and priorities.
Its why there are a dizzying array of options to choose from.
Michael1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:53 PM   #12

We found and bought a Jayco 33DS Greyhawk Super C on the Chevy C5500 chassis, 496 gas V8. Excellent build quality and a huge difference from our 2010 Coachmen 30QB V10 on the Ford F450 chassis! No engine noise to speak of, no screaming downshifts (Allison tranny), great room and plenty of towing capacity. Plus it's got an 80 gallon gas tank instead of the 55 in the Ford. The only downside is finding one, we got lucky that a local dealer got one and then we beat the other 10 people who wanted it to the dealer.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:26 PM   #13

Another vote for the Chevy. I learned long ago from checking out RV Shows that I just couldn't deal with the Ford doghouse. It just bothers my leg and tweaks my knee. Blame it on my natural man-spreading or whatever. There are, by far, more Fords out there, so it clearly isn't a concern for most. I also have a Silverado pick-up, so I was more familiar with the Chevy set-up, feel and motor. To each their own, so try them out. Floor plan is probably more important to most anyway. Best of luck!
Old 04-13-2020, 08:27 PM   #14

It seems the Chevy is more refined for domestic use, the Ford more for commercial use. So the Chevy 3500 experience will be a little more comfortable than with a Ford E350, as well as the 4500 versus the E450. But the Ford E350/E450 is not a disaster by comparison, it's just less domesticated.

But the Ford exceeds the Chevy because of it's higher commercial rating. It is a more robust chassis. The question at hand is, is it necessary for a motorhome? Some people will say yes, others will so no. I personally feel the Chevy is ideal as long as the load it carries is appropriate for the chassis rating.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, chevy, ford