Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2022, 01:22 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford recall on 7.3 v8

Just received a recall from Ford on our 2021 7.3 v8 E-450. The issue is the power steering pressure line which may leak resulting in loss of power steering and loss of power brake assist. If you have this engine and have not received a recall notice contact your Ford dealer regarding NHTSA Recall 22V089.
Larry
largo1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2022, 02:45 PM   #2

I got my notice from Ford yesterday. I am going to check my hydraulic steering/brake levels and if ok just keep an eye on it for a while. I am hoping that Ford issues a recall for the Advance Trac Message issue so I can get Ford to fix that, the brake problem and the dog house insulation problem all at once.

Anyone know how prevalent is it? Also I guess I haven't looked a new vehicle carefully in a while. Since when did they combine brake and steering hydraulics?

David

David
DavidEM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Since when did they combine brake and steering hydraulics?
I understood it has been that way for over 20 years for the E450 chassis. The E350 retains the conventional vacuum booster like a regular car has.....at least my 2007 has it so. I am not sure about a current E350. It "might" be like the E450 since the van was discontinued, an effort to reduce unique parts.

I wish our 2007 E350 had the hydraulic power boost instead of the vacuum power boost. It takes a lot of foot pressure to quickly stop our motorhome. That is unless we are towing our Jeep Liberty. The Liberty's tow brakes help slow down the over-all train, significantly decreasing over-all stopping distance.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:29 PM   #4

Good to find this out now that we are 1200 miles from home. Called a local ford dealer and he stated that they would inspect the power steering hose and if defective, he would have to hold the vehicle and order parts. Since we do not want to be stuck away from home for an unknown time, we are running now with fingers crossed until we get home. Does anyone know how to inspect these hoses for a defect. Thanks
hpdrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 04:31 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdrver View Post
Good to find this out now that we are 1200 miles from home. Called a local ford dealer and he stated that they would inspect the power steering hose and if defective, he would have to hold the vehicle and order parts. Since we do not want to be stuck away from home for an unknown time, we are running now with fingers crossed until we get home. Does anyone know how to inspect these hoses for a defect. Thanks
The recall states in the "What should you do" paragraph the following:

"Ford has not issued instructions to stop driving your vehicle under this safety recall. You should contact your dealer for an appointment to have your vehicle remedied as soon as practicable. You can continue to safely drive your vehicle."

We have put over 8500 miles on our 2021 E-450 chassis and I took a look at the lines and do not see any signs of leaking. I will set up an appointment to have Ford take a look but will not leave my motorhome with them. I suspect there will be a parts shortage since quite a few of these units have been manufactured. Remember the Econoline chassis is used in many service type vehicles and not just motorhomes. When they get the parts then I will wait at the dealer while they make the repair. No way I am leaving my coach at a dealer as long as it runs.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
When they get the parts then I will wait at the dealer while they make the repair. No way I am leaving my coach at a dealer as long as it runs.
Wise Advise. You may find your catalytic converter cut off and stolen.

Drive your rig there, stay there while it is being worked on, then drive it back home. It should not take long for the technician to replace the hydraulic line and replenish the fluid.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:19 PM   #7

Got my notice the other day. Made an appointment but they couldn’t get me in until May 7th. Going to just keep checking for leaks until then.
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:09 AM   #8
chs

Due to the many Ford RV chassis out there. Our Ford dealer in Knoxville (Ted Russell Ford) is sending out a roaming technician to check vehicles out at owners homes. They say that they do not want lines of RV's needing to be inspected at the shop.
I for one think that's a great idea.
Old 04-01-2022, 07:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs View Post
Due to the many Ford RV chassis out there. Our Ford dealer in Knoxville (Ted Russell Ford) is sending out a roaming technician to check vehicles out at owners homes. They say that they do not want lines of RV's needing to be inspected at the shop.
I for one think that's a great idea.

What a GREAT idea.

Good for both dealership and owners.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by largo1005 View Post
Just received a recall from Ford on our 2021 7.3 v8 E-450. The issue is the power steering pressure line which may leak resulting in loss of power steering and loss of power brake assist. If you have this engine and have not received a recall notice contact your Ford dealer regarding NHTSA Recall 22V089.
Larry
Does this recall to all 7.3 engines?
badmanred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:22 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmanred View Post
Does this recall to all 7.3 engines?
No, it is not engine related but chassis related and applies to the 2021 E-450 Econoline. At least that is what my recall notice says. I assume it has something to do with the power steering/brake booster that is on the E-450 and not on the E-350.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 05:26 AM   #12

I got one last week for my 2021 Thor Axis, E350 chassis.

David
DavidEM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 06:05 AM   #13

2021 Ford E350/E450 Recall

From everything I have read, the problem is with the connections on the ends of the hydraulic hoses. When a lot of pressure is put on these connections -- as happens in a tight turn -- the hoses can leak or even break free from the connections. Sounds like Ford received a bad batch of hoses from their suppliers.
Terraboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:02 AM   #14

It’s for 2022 E450 chassis as well. I just had mine completed yesterday. Hose replacement, fluid addition, line bleed.

Tags
ford, recall