Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #1

Ford recall on V10 2V engines

I just got a recall today on my 2013 engine, for emissions issues. It seems there is a problem with the emissions. They will reprogram the powertrain control module. Looking into it a little further it seems 2V V10 engines between 2011 and 2016 are affected and subject to the recall. It's recall 15E05. I wonder if my gas mileage will get even worse. It should be fun finding a Ford dealer to do the recall.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 06:46 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I just got a recall today on my 2013 engine, for emissions issues. It seems there is a problem with the emissions. They will reprogram the powertrain control module. Looking into it a little further it seems 2V V10 engines between 2011 and 2016 are affected and subject to the recall. It's recall 15E05. I wonder if my gas mileage will get even worse. It should be fun finding a Ford dealer to do the recall.

At least ask around about MPG and power. this sounds almost like the VW recall. I know of plenty of people who will cash checks given to them from VW but their Cars will NEVER seen the dealer again because they all say MPG may be affected.
And once they reprogram you vehicle there is no going back.

You also can wait and see what happens to others who get the new program. then you will know if you want it or not.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:20 PM   #3

The letter says you vehicle may be releasing air pollutants that exceed applicable emission standards in your state. Your vehicle's pcm needs needs to be reprogrammed in light of changes to government test procedures. Failure to have the reprogramming performed may affect your ability to renew your vehicle's registration.
In my part of Florida we don;t have emissions or smog testing.
I never heard of a vehicle recalled because of changes to gov't test procedures. Sounds like a VW kind of thing. Of course I don't think Ford ever made any claims of great mpg on the V10.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I might look at 5 Star tune to save your currant specs then if you don't like what Ford has done either put in the original tune or the 5 Star of your choice.

LEN
Old 07-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
I might look at 5 Star tune to save your currant specs then if you don't like what Ford has done either put in the original tune or the 5 Star of your choice.

LEN
Interesting idea. I was just on their web site - sure is confusing, to me at least.
So many products.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford recall on V10 2V engines

I seem to have a knack for bad emissions. I have a VW and a RV that don't comply. VW is about to pay 15 Billion for their error. Ford's emissions, GM's bad ignition switches and Takata's bad air bags pay nada or a fraction of that amount. Wonder why?

I won't be complying with the recall until I'm forced to. Emission changes usually result in poorer performance and less gas mileage. I'll bet my lawn mower emits more bad stuff then some of these engines.
BobU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #7

CA already has restrictions for lawn mowers. You're next!
Old 07-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #8

Hmmm, I believe that I'll wait. Even if I could find a Ford Dealership that is willing or able to take the Motorhome, mileage and performance usually suffer when they mess with the chip.
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #9

We got the notice today. In NY it will probably have to be done to pass the state annual inspection whether it needs it or not. Found out Genesee Ford in Avon can handle up to 35 ft MH, will do the recall, does not want more business when I asked about an oil change too. Back to Lewis for the rest of my work. It may be worth posting what dealers can do the work as AFAIK the other 5 dealers in the area cannot or will not do it. Other folks might want to post the names of other dealers that they find.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #10

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Recall 15E05

I called Ford about the recall and they could not tell me specifically what the adjustment was for. However he did say that if it was going to potentially effect mileage or HP output, the notice would have to disclose that information. He said it was likely related to the Volkswagon issue. That being said, I have a after market monitor linked into the computer port and know my mileages pretty well in different conditions and speeds. If you don't have one, I would suggest getting one monitor your own.
Debug1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #11

Think you are reading way to much into this recall. This type of recall is very common with modern computer controlled engines.
As far as mileage goes, I doubt you will see any significant difference. It is a heavy motorhome with a V-10 after all. Ford dealers to do the recall are another matter.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I received the recall letter for my 2014 E450 July 5.

I live in NC and a Class C Motor home is only subject to an annual safety inspection not emissions for annual registration/renewal.

To have it done I would have to go to the truck dealer in north Raleigh probably 50 mi round trip.

I am going to wait and see the comments from other owners that need this done in other parts of the country requiring emission inspection and see how badly (if any) it hurts the MPG
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobU View Post
I seem to have a knack for bad emissions. I have a VW and a RV that don't comply. VW is about to pay 15 Billion for their error. .
Looks like it's gonna work out pretty well for most VW diesel owners.
Like most people above, I'd wait and see the actual results - programming is not always favorable to the consumer and can negatively impact the product that you think you bought.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:50 PM   #14

I received that letter as well as another the same day for my toad to update transmission chip. My lucky day.
nomad bull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, ford, recall, v10