Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2021, 05:37 AM   #15

Hi Cranelakont,

How long is your 1998 Cambria? How many slide-outs does it have?

I did a quick search on a 1998 Cambria. Does it have an aerodynamic cap above the Ford van? Or does it have the large boxy bed above? The few Cambria rigs I found were aerodynamic so your fuel economy should be a bit better.

Here are some ideas for improving your fuel economy.

- There is a mechanical issue, from a dirty air filter to something more in depth.

- On the open road, limit your cruising speed to between 60 and 63 mph.

- Weigh your rig during a trip, each axle separately, and then adjust the tire pressure for each axle according to the tire pressure chart for your particular tires. See the chart below as an example, not to be followed unless you have the same tires in the chart. Too much air will improve your fuel economy "slightly" but it will come at great cost to the quality of your ride.

There is one unique thing you can check for that can be done in seconds. Unsnap the forward end of the oval air intake tube, and rotate it upward to get it out of the way. The connection is located above the radiator. Look in the oval hole of the large black plastic portion that is above the radiator. If there is a plastic flap obstruction, the vehicle was serviced by someone who removed that large black plastic part (like when replacing the radiator for example) and forgot to fold the flap 180 degrees prior to installing it back on.

I believe it was during model year 2010, a recall was issued for this. A new Ford assembly line worker wasn't folding back the plastic flap during assembly, hence restricting air to the engine. The result was poor fuel economy and poor performance.

Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 03:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBoone View Post
We had a 2005 class c with a 4 speed trans. in the past and averaged around 7 MPG. We now have a 2016 class c with a 5 speed trans. and average around 8 MPG so I think your MPG seems about right.

I've been told the new V8 in the class c's averages around 9 to 10 MPG
I get 11.5 mpg average on a 2021 BT Cruiser, V-8 7.3L 6 speed trans..

However I do drive 62-65 mph and it has good aero dynamics.

https://youtu.be/kaRsSLUqQD8

https://youtu.be/MjPc2nYssmo
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 03:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONWisconsin View Post
These things are not good for MPG. I have never got anything close to 10.
Depends on the motor/trans, weight and aero dynamics..

I am getting 11.5 mpg average with this.. [Fact]

https://youtu.be/MjPc2nYssmo
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, v10