Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2022, 03:14 PM   #1

Ford V-10 question

Hi Folks, If I bought a used Class C from Cruise America and it had the Ford Triton V-10 w over 100K, could I expect 200K or higher from that V-10 ? (properly maintained)
Thanks for your help !
Joe
Joe Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2022, 05:16 PM   #2

If the V-10 were in a pickup that drove around empty 90% of the time... Maybe.

In a motorhome that is at 100% loaded 100% of the time (and a rental). Nope.
deddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 05:25 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Conrad View Post
Hi Folks, If I bought a used Class C from Cruise America and it had the Ford Triton V-10 w over 100K, could I expect 200K or higher from that V-10 ? (properly maintained)
Thanks for your help !
Joe
The engine is certainly capable of 200K miles. Question really is, what happened to it in the first 100+K miles? Since it has been a rental and driven by many renters, it is hard to know the conditions it's been exposed to.

Unfortunately, some, not all, renters drive it like they stole it. Most lack the concern that an owner would have. Any service records available?

I would say a pre-purchase inspection would be helpful. Oil analysis would tell you about wear as long as they didn't just change the oil. A compression test could tell you much about current condition.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 05:31 PM   #4

if its in good condition, yes
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:11 PM   #5

There's a thread on the "other" rv forum site for owners of rental class C units. Most are cruise America. They usually get bought after 80, 100k miles. Some last well into the 200k's and beyond, there are warranties issued. V10's properly serviced have a history there and in expeditor vehicle cargo service of doing 300k . Your transmission may not. Expect some work for the bargain price you hope to get. I bought my plain Jane 23u knowing this. Also that most of these rentals are thor. I know there's a lot of bad issues, had a couple but the box and power train are solid. Helps very much to be handy. Mine has 52k on it, bought new. Love what it does and where I can take it. Issues were fixed a while back and been reliable since. Keep up on the caulking, seals. Just gotnin from 2 months in Alaska. Tough roads, towed a jeep. No damage. Good luck
cbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:21 AM   #6

Cool It's possible...

Can/will you get 200,000 miles... probably "IF" it has been properly serviced, maintained and NOT abused. The problem with buying a rental with 100K miles is, as noted above, how it was treated. Every Class C that has ever blown by me doing 80+ was a rental {and yes, it happens a lot}. I often speak with folks driving rentals and have yet to meet one that has even heard of Tow Haul much less what it is for and when to use it {Answer: All of the time}. Consequently the transmissions in those C's have been seriously cooked as not running Tow haul increases the trans fluid temperature significantly shortening its life.

The basic V -10 is about as close to a bullet proof design as you will ever encounter but maintenance and proper operation is essential if you want it to last.
Hopefully a full set of service records will show that it has been run on full synthetic oil, trans and differential fluid as doing so will add years to the drivetrain.

For the record I have owned our 2012 24' C lass C with the V -10 for 9+ years and 75,000 trouble free miles and I can see 150 to 200,000 miles in my future... if I live that long.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:38 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try to negotiate changing out the spark plugs as part of the deal. That is a maintenance item to be done at 100K on the V10. Some say changing plugs is no big deal but I can tell you on the E450 chassis it is a pain in the nether region. I see why dealers get the big bucks for plug swaps.
I don't know about the more modern E450 transmissions, but on our '05, the transmission fluid needs to changed out every 30,000 miles. Crucially important.
We have 110K miles on ours, with no problems on the engine or drivetrain. Knock on wood, it will last another 110K.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Try to negotiate changing out the spark plugs as part of the deal. That is a maintenance item to be done at 100K on the V10. Some say changing plugs is no big deal but I can tell you on the E450 chassis it is a pain in the nether region. I see why dealers get the big bucks for plug swaps.
I don't know about the more modern E450 transmissions, but on our '05, the transmission fluid needs to changed out every 30,000 miles. Crucially important.
We have 110K miles on ours, with no problems on the engine or drivetrain. Knock on wood, it will last another 110K.
I think I get your comment above concerning the E450 transmission. Mine failed at around only 60K miles! I always blamed it on traveling too much in the mountains and NOT using the 5-speed transmission's Tow/Haul mode enough when doing so ... hence maybe causing overly-high tranny temperatures.

Now I keep the tranny in Tow/Haul mode a lot ... but I don't think I was changing the 5R110W transmission's fluid every 30K miles, either.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:45 AM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
I often speak with folks driving rentals and have yet to meet one that has even heard of Tow Haul much less what it is for and when to use it {Answer: All of the time}.

Not to change the subject....
but changing the subject, are you saying that one should drive in the tow/haul position all the time, towing or not?
If the answer is yes, can you explain why?
DamonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 12:14 PM   #10

Thumbs up You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonCamper View Post
Not to change the subject....
but changing the subject, are you saying that one should drive in the tow/haul position all the time, towing or not?
If the answer is yes, can you explain why?
The simple answer is yes, you may not be towing but in just about any Class C you are "Hauling" 100 percent of the time. Unless you are running very lightly loaded and not towing you should have Tow Haul engaged all of the time. The weight/load of most Class C's is more than enough to benefit from TH. A Class C is a very large box with the aerodynamics of a brick.

Running in TH reduces your trans fluid tmps extending ending the life of the tranny {see the post from Phil G above}. I occasionally forget to engage TH and a glance at my Scan Gauge always gets my attention as the trans fluid temps will quickly creep up 12 - 14 degrees. When I realize my error and engage TH in just a mile or two those temps return to normal {just another great reason to have a Scan Gauge... but I digress}.

On long steep downhills using TH you can get to the bottom probably without touching your brakes and best of all you have not burned a drop of fuel doing so yet you have retained all of the engine compression braking. I can always tell when the rig in front of me is not using TH as they ride their brakes excessively on the long steep grades so common out here in the west and reach the bottom stinking of hot/burned brakes that probably have lost a lot of their function.

My 2012 E-350 has a GVWR of 11,500# and I usually run near or at that weight and often am towing a 2,500# cargo trailer both of which make TH a no brainer. The larger the class C {like most E-450's} the more weight, load and windage all contribute to the need for Tow haul. Other than going down a very slight grade with no wind, lightly loaded and of course non towing I can't think of a reason to not use Tow Haul. Check you owners manual for more details.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 12:25 PM   #11

I'm not "Capt Steve" but ... as I understand it, Tow/Haul mode keeps the transmission - when the vehicle is working hard hauling, going up hills, or starting out from stops - in the proper low gear longer than it would if not in Tow/Haul mode.

What this means is that if not in Tow/Haul mode in the above situations, the transmission torque converts more (via going sooner into a higher gear) by using the transmission's slip clutch mechanism to provide the conversion torque.

Use of the slip clutch causes more heat in an automatic transmission than just by turning/using solid gears. Mile after mile and month after month of too much heat from clutch slippage here and there probably does a number on an automatic transmission used in heavy trucks and motorhomes.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:31 PM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
The simple answer is yes, you may not be towing but in just about any Class C you are "Hauling" 100 percent of the time. Unless you are running very lightly loaded and not towing you should have Tow Haul engaged all of the time. The weight/load of most Class C's is more than enough to benefit from TH. A Class C is a very large box with the aerodynamics of a brick.

Running in TH reduces your trans fluid tmps extending ending the life of the tranny {see the post from Phil G above}. I occasionally forget to engage TH and a glance at my Scan Gauge always gets my attention as the trans fluid temps will quickly creep up 12 - 14 degrees. When I realize my error and engage TH in just a mile or two those temps return to normal {just another great reason to have a Scan Gauge... but I digress}.

On long steep downhills using TH you can get to the bottom probably without touching your brakes and best of all you have not burned a drop of fuel doing so yet you have retained all of the engine compression braking. I can always tell when the rig in front of me is not using TH as they ride their brakes excessively on the long steep grades so common out here in the west and reach the bottom stinking of hot/burned brakes that probably have lost a lot of their function.

My 2012 E-350 has a GVWR of 11,500# and I usually run near or at that weight and often am towing a 2,500# cargo trailer both of which make TH a no brainer. The larger the class C {like most E-450's} the more weight, load and windage all contribute to the need for Tow haul. Other than going down a very slight grade with no wind, lightly loaded and of course non towing I can't think of a reason to not use Tow Haul. Check you owners manual for more details.

Thanks for the quick reply. You are correct, My 2018 E450 GVWR is 14,500 an I know that I am close. I have tried to TH andnobiced the RPM does run higher so never thought to use it. Just came back from Colorado and did not have to use brakes often going down hill, I would just slip it into 4th gear and let the engine rev and it would keep us slowed down. Very rarely I'd have to touch the brake but doing so, I would slow way down so that it would take awhile to build up speed if it did. I shall try and see using TH and see what it does on flat terrain. I run about 65 normally and that puts me at 2200 RPM. 8MPG.
Thanks for the explanation and will try it out to see for myself. I don't have a temp gauge on my transmission so have no idea what that temp is but do know that transmission oil has a pretty high breakdown temp like engine oil does so not sure that 10-12 degrees makes a difference.
This was first time in mountains and noticed that trying to use cruise control the engine would rev to almost 5000 trying to keep speed. I would not do that. I would control manually and go to 3500 and just let the MH slow if it wanted to. There has been discussions on here about being in slower traffic, but in the mountains, there is always truck lanes and slower traffic so I don't think that is a real safety concern. Not real fond of the mountain driving but did notice may MPG increased almost 1 MPG.
Thanks again!!
DamonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:36 PM   #13

Note that when in Tow/Haul mode, that the transmission still goes into, and stays into, overdrive under light engine load conditions - just like when the transmission is not in Tow/Haul mode. (.... or at least that's the case with my 2005 E450 V10 Class C and it's 5R110W 5-speed transmission)

So there is no RPM penalty or gas consumption penalty when left in Tow/Haul mode under light engine load (overdrive gear) conditions.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:31 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
My 3 cents as I talk in general..

The V10 is a good motor.. buying a rental can be a double edge sword, I have never researched their (rental) PM services and standards...

I have purchased fleet units from fed x and from the Sears service fleet.. The fedx van I was able to get all PM/service work and I got the same from the Sears van (80% atleast).
the FedX van had 270+ on it.. that I ran for 4 years and sold with 330 and it rusted away but ran great ( a local home painter).. the Sears can I still have, it is 2004 e250 4,6. . got it with 173K.. Has 280+.. I did do a trans, it was replaced once at 133, It went on me at 204K,,, it was a weird freak fail, internal case cracked.. ..
In each case, lots was done, like Fedx did 2 motors 300 6cyl.. trans and a rear,, Sears did trans, suspension and complete brakes at that 133-150 mark.. Oil changes dome at 5K in both , always motorcraft.. blah blah..

In the RV marked, C class.. i have bought high miles, professional maintained unit and a low miles private held..
My old 94 E350 460 that towed hard for 193K + of its life is still running great with 3rd owner, I saw it 3 weeks ago at an event.. has almost 210K on it and it is heading west in a few weeks..
My low miles pampered unit,, Has had $$$ tossed at it becasue when stuff sits it goes bad faster IMO.. But like my old serviced / refitted Class C, my current older, low miles <40k.. 96 has had over 10K in 3 trips in last 3 months and works as new.. other than my youngest Siberian Husky chewing off the OD switch and wiper switch and radio knobs, while we left the 3some inside while we visited.. LOL

In any Used, or Rental buy, REcords are nice, a good look over by a savey eye..

50K or a 100K.. Brake system, Tune up, Trans service , shocks, maybe springs??, belts.. all should be in a bucket list of things to do or think about..

OH IMO,, using the tow or go mode,, The tow has purpose, and so does occasional manual mode.. I dont like short shifting at 3000-3500 and lugging.. that can stress parts and add heat,, If the motor is making efficent power up to 4000K-4500K.. run it ..as needed, not over run,, I have held 20-30 minutes in long grades at 3800-4200 in my 460..
Out 2004 ford 4.6 van, towing a 7500lb trailer, loaded in van also.. held her also 4500+ 2nd gearon long pulls. temp stayed great,, sucks gas but.. did this many many times.. foot to floor syndrome..
not scared
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote