Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2009, 05:27 AM   #15

We had the same decision and ended up with a 2009 Dutchmen Dorado 24A with the Mercedes V6 Diesel and so thankful we did...the Freightliner name is the same as the Dodge or Mercedes Sprinter. I average about 15-16 MPG...and the more I drive it the better it gets. However, I don't think it will ever hit 20mpg. In regards to crosswinds...I was in some high winds in Florida several weeks ago (Hurricane/Tropical Storm Ida) and it handled much better then I expected...overall it is easy to drive and park. We love it...I'd go the Mercedes V6 diesel...you won't regret it.
hdtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2009, 07:48 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Some real-world performance statistics with a Mercedes . . .

We've had our Winnebago View - Sprinter chassis and 5 cylinder diesel - for more than 4 years. It currently has about 40,000 trouble-free miles on it. We typically tow our Scion xA, it weighs about 2,500 pounds wet, and I drive it all about 65 mph when legal (well, maybe that fast in California, too). I accelerate fairly quickly, too, such as from a stop light.

USUALLY (that's with no crazy head-winds), I routinely get between 14 and 16 miles per gallon --- without the toad it is in the 17 to 18 range. Have done as well as 19 and as poorly as 13, but neither is typical. I calculate mpg after every tank fill-up.

Our View didn't come from the factory with rear-axle air bags, but I added them --- handling since is pleasurable! Fun to drive. Cross-winds and passing truck aren't a concern.

Folks I know with the newer V-6 Mercedes indicate fuel usage is one or two mpg lower than the 5 cylinder.

We've never owned any other motor home, so can't shed any light on that end of things. If you want/need a rig with tire spinning capabilities and high CCC, then the Sprinter models might not meet your needs. If you want great fuel efficiency, good handling and reliable performance, take a look! My personal opinion is Winnebago makes the best Sprinter-based models (View and Navion), but there are now quite a few others who have followed Winnebago's lead.

Good luck --- hope you get what makes you smile
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:18 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just purchased a 2010 View 24A from Lichtsinn in Iowa and drove it back to Seattle area. We were averaging 16-18 mpg all on Interstate. We hit some pretty good headwinds on I-80 through Wyoming and the View handled it surprisingly well. It is extremely easy to drive and park, so far we are very pleased with the performance of the View.
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:56 AM   #18

We currently have a Coachmen Concord on a Ford E450, but are researching pros and cons on some of the Sprinter-based RV's available. The potential fuel economy is attractive, although the jury is still out for us in terms of *servicing* a Sprinter-based RV. The mechanics at the shop that services our Ford, who also do warranty work for numerous RV brands, did not give the Sprinter chassis high marks for an RV. Their opinion is that the breaks and transmission on the Sprinter are inadequate for the structure that most RV manufacturers put on top of them. Countering that, I've heard many positive reviews of folks who have had the Sprinter for a couple years now and had great results. I still have some level of concern about having ready access to service for a Sprinter chassis. One thing is certain: A motorhome will need service, and stuff will break. When it does, I want to make sure I can get it taken care of whether I'm in Boulder or Boise. Nashvillle or Napa.

-Mike
classact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCVonderburg View Post
Why? Pretty simple, really. We want to downsize and the current market, with closeout discounts is in the $75-95K range for gas and diesel. Some manufacturers offer a B+/C with either gas (usually Ford) or diesel (often MB). Of course they have a different chassis and house construction and handling characteristics.

But for the same money, one has to decide whether one wants the heavy hauler (C) or the nimble (B+). I was just looking for pros and cons of both.
Right now, a Ford-based Phoenix Cruiser 2551 or Winnebago Aspect looks pretty good for our needs.

All we have to do now is sell an '03 Tiffin Allego . . . wish us luck
What do you tow now and what do you plan to tow with whatever you decide to purchase?

We tow a Tahoe so dropping down to either means changing toads. It is possible the Ford could be strengthened to tow the Tahoe but no hope of that for the Merc. I think the comparison is Apples and Oranges in some respects - particularly power, torque and towing.

IF I had something that could be towed by the Merc I'd probably go for it since I like the size. We downsized from a 41 ft DP to our Kodiak Jayco and really couldn't go any smaller and tow the Tahoe. Sure wish the Merc could tow more.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:01 AM   #20

Appalachian Campers
We don't tow at all, not really interested in doing so and one of the main reasons we want to downsize to something we can unhook, drive to town and park in a normal parking lot. We usually travel from our camping area on our bikes - 10-20 mile round trips by bike are not unusual. If we did tow, it would be a small utility trailer for our kayaks.

All the feedback here is excellent and certainly thought provoking, I really appreciate it, folks. Making the choice - as everyone has pointed out - is a matter of personal lifestyle and/or ability (like the choice of a class A vs a truck and fiver combo). Different strokes for different folks.

See y'all down the road!
WCVonderburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:42 AM   #21

This is NOT to start an argument, just OUR impression(s)

Moving down from a 36-foot Alpine Coach, we recently drove a number of smaller rigs, including a MB Diesel View and a V10 Phoenix Cruiser 2350 on a Ford E350 chassis.

I also see gas at $2.78/G and Diesel at $3.33/G.

The view:
1. has half the HP and about half the Torque of the V10.
2. rocked where the Phoenix didn't (standing and moving).
3. has a "tip-tronic" type gear selection where the Ford doesn't.
4. has less towing capability than the E350 Phoenix.
5. has a cab-over bunk where the Phoenix doesn't.

Initially, we rejected the View as it rocked somewhat when passed by trucks.

Looking at fuel cost alone, a View at 17 MPG and a Phoenix at 12 MPG, the fuel cost per mile alone works out to $0.20 for the View while the Phoenix works out to $0.23. That's about $120.00 more for the Phoenix on a 4,000 mile trip (Chump-change). And this is not even considering the new emission standards that will require expensive UREA aditive (pay attention to that).

We also liked the idea the E350 can be serviced at more places than can the MB Diesel. And, it will cost less for it.

Consequently, we opted to buy a Phoenix Cruiser 2350 on a Ford E350 chassis.

BUT, all this aside, your gonna spend some money no matter what you select. Maybe you should just go with what you feel is the most comfortable for you and fits your needs and wants best.

I've made all too many bad decisions in the name of saving a few bucks only to regret it later and be left with a feeling of getting something half-done. Which is not to say I've not made a few bad decisions because I reacted emotionally and/or based a decision on a "Gut-feeling".

Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it. And in some cases, not worth that.

FACT:
Unless you're going to use a MH on a fairly regular basis, don't buy one. I've spent entirely too much time looking out my window at the Alpine covered in snow and knew I couldn't chance it on possibly icy roads. A smaller MH can be taken out more frequently (which was part of our decision to down-size).

Observation:
When in doubt.......DON'T!
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:59 AM   #22

rmmpe: Very good and sage advice.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
This is NOT to start an argument, just OUR impression(s)

FACT:
Unless you're going to use a MH on a fairly regular basis, don't buy one. I've spent entirely too much time looking out my window at the Alpine covered in snow and knew I couldn't chance it on possibly icy roads. A smaller MH can be taken out more frequently (which was part of our decision to down-size).

Observation:
When in doubt.......DON'T!
Newbies looking to buy should read this carefully. We've blown a pot full full of money on 4 MH's and the primary use has been sitting on a lot in Florida during the winter. An equivalent sized trailer at a fraction of the cost would have been a lot cheaper - a LOT CHEAPER. Better yet - a park model - also at a fraction of the cost and it has residential appliances, residential toilets, etc. (Yes, we bought the park model next to our lot). If we'd originally bought a park model for winter and a small C for occasional summer use we'd have another six figures in our pocket now.