Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello -

I'm considering trading my current 26' class C for a 31' class C. Two units I've had my eye on at local dealers are 2006 Four Winds 31P or 31V. Both units are 2006 model year and used with less than 5K miles for each.
I'm curious if others out there would recommend Four Winds?
Currently in a Coachman unit, overall impression of Coachman is ok, but don't think I'd buy one of their units again. Have been left unsatisfied on more than one occasion (i.e., coachman service and unit design issue).

Thanks,
srusso1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello -

I'm considering trading my current 26' class C for a 31' class C. Two units I've had my eye on at local dealers are 2006 Four Winds 31P or 31V. Both units are 2006 model year and used with less than 5K miles for each.
I'm curious if others out there would recommend Four Winds?
Currently in a Coachman unit, overall impression of Coachman is ok, but don't think I'd buy one of their units again. Have been left unsatisfied on more than one occasion (i.e., coachman service and unit design issue).

Thanks,
Old 04-17-2008, 06:12 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to GerryB54 Send a message via Skype™ to GerryB54
My 2004 Four Winds Chateau 31Z was the best of all my previous six Class Cs. I personally have issues with slides in all Class Cs, they tend to max out your weights, but they sell them and people buy them.

I've bought all may Class Cs new, and my Coachman Santara was the worst.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the response. More than anything, now I think its just a matter of waiting for the right deal.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:39 AM   #5

When buying any new motorhome, there are things to watch for... if you are an experienced RVer, you will likely know what to look for. My blog RV Factor illustrates quality and safety issues to watch for with the Four Winds products.

Denny
DennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well looks like I'm down to a choice between two units.
2008 Winnebago Access 31J or Fleetwood Tioga 31M. Both are new units. Any recommendations between the two?
Old 05-14-2008, 08:22 AM   #7

We have a 07 Tioga 31M. The bath room was the selling point. Fleetwood and Lazy Days were great on fixing the little things that were wrong with it. GerryB54 was right about the weights. We can plan a long trip and fall in the allowable limits. But you have to plan on what to take. I cannot address the Winnebago. Marvh
marvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the info. In the end we decided on the Winnebago. Deposit is in and we pick it up on Saturday.
I did check the weight, assuming 5 adults at 154 and all tanks full we have nearly 700 pounds of capacity.
Thanks,
Old 05-16-2008, 05:00 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a word of advice. DO NOT take the coach, sign any papers or hand over any money until the coach is demonstrated to you and all is 100%. You have the leverage as long as you still have the money. Once the dealer has his money they often become much less responsive.

call the dealer and let him know that thee deal will not be closed until the coach is 100% correct. Dealers are famous to tell a buyer that any little items will be taken are of when you bring it back for warranty...often the coach will set there for several weeks before it is finished. They are more interested in getting new ones out and paying work and warranty work comes last.

WE had a 1999 Minnie Winnie DL, 31A (no slide) and it was a great coach, just had to watch the weight. We weighed 13,950# with me and the copilot, 1/4 tank fresh water, empty waste tanks, full fuel and supplies for a week. Since the fresh water tank is behind the rear axle, never travel any great distances with the fresh tank full. It tends to make the front end light and effect the steering.

One issue the larger C's tend to have is "bump steering". It has a tendency to roll from side to side and require constant steering correction. I changed the shocks to Bilsteins and added front and rear anti-roll bars with urethane bushings. Drove great after the mods.

Another thing to do is once you have the coach loaded, you need to get the front end alignment set nd it is not covered under warranty. Use an independent truck alignment place as Ford is the last place to tke it for an alignment.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote