Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freelander vs. Leprechaun

I think we have narrowed our choice down to a Coachman. The Freelander and Leprachaun are almost identicle floor plans but the Freelander is less expensive. So where are the cuts being made? I'd love to hear your experiences.
HeyHeyJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHeyJJ View Post
So where are the cuts being made?
Hey,

I owned a 2014 Coachmen Freelander (no slide) and now a 2013 Freelander (with slide). My neighbor owns a nearly identical layout 2014 Leprachaun.

When new, at MSRP, his 2014 was priced about $5K more than my 2014. His a Ford. Mine a Chevy. We bought them at the same time from the same Dealer.

Most of the differences seem to be:

1) Lep has darker, cherry, wood interior trim . Mine has blond probably Mahogany,

2) Lep has upgraded window valances and shades.

3) His Lep had a 2" bigger TV.

4) His Lep also had a beige outside with EXTENSIVE painted graphics. Mine is white with a few stickers

NONE of the above made a difference to us. What DID make a difference was that at the "Drive-Away" price my Freelander was about $25K LESS than his Lepper. Long story there.....

What model/length are you looking at?

PM me if I can tell you any more about a Freelander. I have owned 2 for about 50K miles and have made several "ease of use" modifications to them.

His Lepper is now for sale and I can buy it for $4 - $5K over selling ours, but we have decided that we still don't need the upgrades. We're happy.
Tim

Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:50 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-30-2018, 09:35 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freelander vs. Leprechaun

I have had 2 Freelander and now a Leprechaun. They use the same chassis for each so that’s a wash. Overall the Freelander is more of an “entry level” coach while the Lep has the upgrades. Options like Healeyman outlined below, but also stouter fit and finish overall like better wood, stouter interior walls, better countertop material, etc. other than that things like side cameras, Bigfoot leveling jacks, better mattresses, trim on the dash, etc are frequently built into the Leprechaun but not the Freelander. I’ve had good luck with all my coaches.

Good luck with your decision!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	220947  
2019 Coachmen Mirada 35BH; 2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MBS (Traded); 2015 Coachmen Freelander 32BH (Traded); 2011 Coachmen Freelander 31SS (Traded); 2005 TrailCruiser 30SS (Traded); 1999 Forest River Flagstaff (25') (Traded)
Jcf0527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:16 PM   #5

Quote:
I think we have narrowed our choice down to a Coachman. The Freelander and Leprachaun are almost identicle floor plans but the Freelander is less expensive. So where are the cuts being made? I'd love to hear your experiences.
There are a wide variety of options that can account for the difference. The full body paint option lists at $7,800.

I have a 2018 Leprechaun approaching 20,000 miles. The quality isn’t close to my previous Arctic Foxes, from little things like putting the GFI stickers on crooked to a nearly year long tussle on getting the rear slide seal right. And stupid things like havi g a black connection for fresh water and a white one for black water. Now working second delaminating trim panel.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you all for your replies.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:44 AM   #7

Actually both the Leprechaun and the Freelander can be purchased with a Chevy chassis, with the Chevy being somewhat less expensive. I too am trying to decide on purchasing one or the other in the 270QB(Lep) or the 27QB (Free), these are no slide, with a queen size walk around bed. I don't see any difference at all between the two, other that decor colors, and the Leprechaun can be purchased with full body paint as an option.

I can not find a list of options available for either, so that may also be a difference, just not sure.

Reading the various forums it appears the Ford chassis may need aftermarket upgrades, although the engine is stouter. I am not seeing that need in the Chevy chassis. But this difference may be just because there are far fewer Chevy chassis owners.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:52 AM   #8

The difference is more than cosmetic. If you open up the Features & Options page for each, and compare them side by side there are subtle (but seemingly important) details that apparently lead to a better quality build in the Leprechaun.

Examples:
Reclining Drivers & Passenger seats in the Leprechaun, but not specified in the Freelander.
Leprechaun specifies Vacu-Bond Laminated Aluminum Framed Floor with Dual-Layer Floor Decking, while Freelander reads Laminated Alum. 2" Floor.
Same difference in the walls, and the roof descriptions differ as well:
Leprechaun reads Vacu-Bond Laminated Crowned Aluminum Framed Roof with TPO Surface, while Freelander states Crowned Laminated TPO Roof.

I trust a careful study of ALL the details listed in each's respective Features & Options will reveal subtle differences across the board, whether its the quality of the counters, fabrics, and finishes, or the structural integrity of the coach.

For a few months I was considering both, because of the Chevy Chasis option, but have since soured on both, simply because of the roofing material. I HATE the idea of TPO, when I can enjoy a Fiberglass roof in a Minnie Winnie. (Albeit sacrificing the Chevy Chasis for a Ford).

When I was looking a few months ago there was substantial price difference, with the Leprechaun ranging about $10K more if I recall correctly.
Michael1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #9

Quote:
I think we have narrowed our choice down to a Coachman. The Freelander and Leprachaun...
HeyJJ,

What did you get?

Tim
Old 02-12-2019, 07:25 AM   #10

I just went through this, looking at older Diesel pushers, then new class c's and finally Airstream Travel trailers. The quality is depressing, even in AS. We just put money down on a new Big Foot travel trailer, and will pull it with my Tundra. If that is not sufficient I will upgrade to something else. Really hoped to go to a motorhome, but it is not in the cards....
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #11

One thing important to me is if there is a difference in the cab-over construction. In the picture up in this thread from jcf0527, the shown Lep has a partial front fiberglass bucket eliminating the seam work in the most vulnerable area of the motor home. If you plan to own the rig for many years and also store it outdoors, that partial-bucket section on the face of the cab-over would be a serious upgrade consideration.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
Hey,

I owned a 2014 Coachmen Freelander (no slide) and now a 2013 Freelander (with slide). My neighbor owns a nearly identical layout 2014 Leprachaun.

When new, at MSRP, his 2014 was priced about $5K more than my 2014. His a Ford. Mine a Chevy. We bought them at the same time from the same Dealer.

Most of the differences seem to be:

1) Lep has darker, cherry, wood interior trim . Mine has blond probably Mahogany,

2) Lep has upgraded window valances and shades.

3) His Lep had a 2" bigger TV.

4) His Lep also had a beige outside with EXTENSIVE painted graphics. Mine is white with a few stickers

NONE of the above made a difference to us. What DID make a difference was that at the "Drive-Away" price my Freelander was about $25K LESS than his Lepper. Long story there.....

What model/length are you looking at?

PM me if I can tell you any more about a Freelander. I have owned 2 for about 50K miles and have made several "ease of use" modifications to them.

His Lepper is now for sale and I can buy it for $4 - $5K over selling ours, but we have decided that we still don't need the upgrades. We're happy.
Tim

Nice Miata.
I have a 93 and 94.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddykern View Post
Nice Miata. I have a 93 and 94.
Wow! 2 NAs. Do you pull either of them?

Mine is a 2012 PRHT, supercharged, 6 manual. This is my 2nd NC and have pulled each over 20K miles.

LOVE them.

Tim
Old 02-13-2019, 06:44 AM   #14

At risk of changing this topic a short while....

We used to tow a 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder. We switched to a 4x4 to be more adventurous, but there are many times I wished we had the MR2 with us. So I can surely relate to the Miata-towing couple paddykern.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote