Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2021, 03:49 PM   #1

Fresh Water Capacities

Hello,

We are in the process of looking for another RV and a Class C is an option. I’m looking for a class C with the largest fresh water tank with bunks. I’ve looked at the Greyhawk/Redhawk, Coachmen, Thor Quantum and they all seem to air around 40-47 gallons. We do a lot of dry camping in the desert during the winter and I’m not sure that’s going to cut it for a family of 4.

Any brands I’m missing with larger capacities? Not looking to get in to Super Cs as they are above our price range.

Thank you.
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2021, 04:26 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Do you plan to pull a toad? If so, you can carry extra water in a tank in it.

If no toad, get a small utility trailer and put a 50 gallon barrel in it. Problem solved.

Plus you will have all that extra room to bring along some extra "stuff"
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fushux View Post
Hello,

We are in the process of looking for another RV and a Class C is an option. I’m looking for a class C with the largest fresh water tank with bunks. I’ve looked at the Greyhawk/Redhawk, Coachmen, Thor Quantum and they all seem to air around 40-47 gallons. We do a lot of dry camping in the desert during the winter and I’m not sure that’s going to cut it for a family of 4.

Any brands I’m missing with larger capacities? Not looking to get in to Super Cs as they are above our price range.

Thank you.
Lazy Daze Class C motorhomes have about the largest capacities.

Check "Liquids Capacities (U.S. Gallons)" on page 4 of these specifications and you'll see that 4 of the 6 Lazy Daze Class C models have 60 gallon fresh water capacities. The other 2 models have 50 and 58 gallon fresh water capacities. Note that one of their models with 60 gallons of fresh water capacity is a only 24 foot Class C!!!:

http://www.lazydaze.com/FEATURES.PDF
Phil G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:14 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
but w/ 60-gal/ 480# water, ya might need to 2-adults home? LOL :-)
Old 07-09-2021, 02:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
but w/ 60-gal/ 480# water, ya might need to 2-adults home? LOL :-)
Lazy Daze Class C motorhomes are only built on an E450 chassis, regardless of length/size of their model. Hence - especially for the Lazy Daze smaller Class C models - a few extra pounds of coach weight for improved fresh water capacity is of no concern.

(P.S. The above is especially why we bought a 24 ft. Class C on an E450 chassis ... so we would have no weight issues regardless of how we loaded it up -> it's called "having chassis overkill". Chassis overkill is difficult to achieve on many of the new Class C rigs available today, but it can be achieved with carefull studying of the models and their specs before buying.)
Phil G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 02:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Do you plan to pull a toad? If so, you can carry extra water in a tank in it.

If no toad, get a small utility trailer and put a 50 gallon barrel in it. Problem solved.

Plus you will have all that extra room to bring along some extra "stuff"

X2 Water bladders are available that can be stored in a briefcase and hold up to 45 gallons of water. Transported in your toad. Available at Camping World. I'm not a fan of CW but somethings you can't fine elsewhere.
Old 07-10-2021, 04:55 PM   #7

Be aware that published fresh water capacities nearly always include the 6 or 10 gallons of the water heater.

Charles
Old 07-11-2021, 05:15 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
My old winnie is 37 plus the 6 in WH.
So 25 years later not much has changed LOL

I have taken 2-5 gallon containers on a week trip to make sure .. We conserve and have atleast 9 gallon of drinking water stowed in RV..

My old Minnie has plenty of space in a side compartment that I have added 2 batteries and inverter system and also mid chassis huge area that a tank can easily we added, the central space would be ideal since the weight would be in a good spot
On a recent long weekend.. I had a firepit, 2 extra 20lb propane tanks and 4- 30 packs of water and 2- 3 gallon packs easily stored..
Both my under dinette benchs are empty ..I am a pack rat too

IMO if the RV has a good spot to add or store extra water then look at those models as not to give up other layouts or options that you may want.. since a model with more water may not have the "stuff" you really want..

Goodluck
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:51 AM   #9

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'd imagine they have lower capacities to remain under the GVWR. I like the idea of the bladder system but I wonder if the small grey water capacity would become an issue.
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:22 AM   #10

We dry camp most of the time. We bought our ‘19 Itasca Sunstar 31BE Class A bunk house over the class C sister floor plan mostly because of tank sizes, leveling system and storage capacity. I actually preferred the over head bunk on the class C to the drop down loft bed on the class A.

We usually bring 20 extra gallons of water on desert trips in 5 gallon water jugs. We also Cary our drinking / cooking water in store bought 1 gal and 2 gal containers.

One thing to consider is fill method. Modern coaches do not always have “gravity fill” where you can pour in water. I had to buy an electric pump that would put out more than 35 PSI to fill our tank using the “city water fill” fitting. The winterizing siphon is not really practical in our rig for a quick 40 gal water add. So a pump, short hoses, extension cord and starting the generator are required to add water to our rig while boondocking.

It all works out just fine. But the next weak link in the chain becomes grey and black tank capacity. With 7 people on board (grand kids) tanks fill up fast. I still wish the tanks were bigger. Is there such a thing as black tank capacity anxiety? If so, I have it.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:23 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fushux View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'd imagine they have lower capacities to remain under the GVWR. I like the idea of the bladder system but I wonder if the small grey water capacity would become an issue.
both my grey and black are always a stinker.. 32 grey 37 black.. The grey kitch sink and shower, black is small sink and potty..
My black is bad design, only 4inch from toilet outlet to bottom of tank.. clog city,,
Grey has been ok and I have let some loose with a hose adapter in places where there is no offending issues as it is just wash water..
Take a look at how the tanks are set up to fit your needs..

Those bladder water tanks are nice I even got a couple 5 gal ones, easy to store and transport,, even when boondocking by a stream you can get water .....refill..

In a class C.. I feel limits are in place some super C are a bit bigger but you are at a give up storage for mare tank but they hold the GVWR..

enjoy..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 05:35 PM   #12

I have found the fresh water capacity is never the problem. Gray first then black capacities will limit your time off the grid. As folks mentioned here, lots of ways to carry extra fresh water. Also, you can get a portable tote if needed to help offload some of the gray / black tanks and take to a dump site if needed.

If you want some big tanks in a Class C look at the Renegades. The Valencia has 150 gallons fresh and 75 gallons black and 75 gallons gray. The shortest layout is ~36' so not sure if that is too long.

Eric
ebenson24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water