Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2021, 04:09 PM   #1

Fresh Water Tank

Hi everyone thank you for accepting me into your home. I have a Winnebago view 08 and it shows a full water tank and then a 1/3 tank and I don’t believe it is 1/3. I have two questions where do I find the tank to see the sensors in this model and can I just replace the sensors without having to work with the wiring to the panel? Thank you
Lamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2021, 05:54 PM   #2

The sensors are just screwheads inside the tanks with wires going to them on the outside of the tank. If you want accurate readings, add some kind of salt to the tank. Clean water isn't very conductive so the sensors have nothing to read...so they are inaccurate. Usually happens with very pure well water.

Many RV'ers just finally give up on those level sensor systems. They all have issues. I think SeeLevel is the current favorite but it's spendy. All the after market devices are asking more then they're worth because although they sound like a solution, a few weeks later, you're back to your starting point as they become inaccurate after a few fills or dumps.

So what many do, is just keep a post it note of when they filled the tank or dumped the tanks. That way, after a few weeks you know how often on average to fill up with water, and also when to dump your tanks. And it's very inexpensive doing it that way.

In my case, as a single adult, with 55 gallon tanks, I can go 10 days before I need to dump...sometimes as many as 14 days. With the water tank, since I often hook up to shore water, I can go weeks without a refill. But in that case, I do check the LEDs because when it does illuminate the Red 'Empty' light, I know I'll need water soon. Over 17 years of full timing, I think I've had to worry about running out, or did run out maybe 4 times.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:05 PM   #3

When you find the tank, you can install SeeLevel system and use existing wires. You will need to mount the SeeLevel display near/at original display location.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamo View Post
Hi everyone thank you for accepting me into your home. I have a Winnebago view 08 and it shows a full water tank and then a 1/3 tank and I don’t believe it is 1/3. I have two questions where do I find the tank to see the sensors in this model and can I just replace the sensors without having to work with the wiring to the panel? Thank you
If the tank goes from "Full" to "One Third" I wonder if a sensor wire at the fresh water tank has become loose or even fallen off.

The sensors in the fresh water tank generally don't go bad, but if you think they did, I would try filling the fresh water tank with a 1/2 gallon of household bleach and then to over-flowing with water, let it soak for one hour, then drain, fill, drain, fill a few times. Doing so is good for disinfecting anyway. Just maybe you have a build-up of slime or even mold on the sensor that the bleach will take care of.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Thank you for the replies. So I feel silly asking but how do I add chlorine to the fresh water tank if it is feel with regulator attachment?
Lamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Thank you for the replies. So I feel silly asking but how do I add chlorine to the fresh water tank if it is feel with regulator attachment?
Disconnect the fill hose from the shore water spigot. Drain. Pour 1/2 cup bleach into the hose, connect it up to shore water, turn on, fill your tank. The formula for a troubled tank is: Tank Size in Gallons * 0.13 = oz of bleach. That works out, as an example 60 gallon tank, at 7.8 oz. This amount is only used if your tank has slime in it. Let it sit for a couple days with the bleach, than drain. You can still drink it, but it's unpleasant. You could also add baking soda to neutralize if you want to save the tank during these days of severe drought.

Resist the thought that more bleach is better. It isn't. For just PM of your tank, 1 oz of bleach per 60 gallons is good enough.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water