Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #1

Fridge not going to auto when driving

Having trouble with my Norcold fridge in 2016 Winnebago Aspect when driving. I turn off propane and it should go to battery automatically, but goes to fault. I have replaced ATS, twice on this trip and not sure if that is the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Valerie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie D View Post
Having trouble with my Norcold fridge in 2016 Winnebago Aspect when driving. I turn off propane and it should go to battery automatically, but goes to fault. I have replaced ATS, twice on this trip and not sure if that is the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Your norcold runs on propane or a.c. not battery. Battery ignites the propane burner for the fridge
ej1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Yep, it requires 12 volt to work, to power the control board, but it runs on either 120 volt or LP. Unless you've got one of the 3-way refrigerators, in which case it should also run on 12 volt.
The Automatic Transfer Switch controls all AC power into the RV, from either shore power or the generator, but has nothing to do with whether or not the fridge will run on 12 volt (other than if there isn't 120 volt coming from one of those two sources then the fridge will need a different power source).
Old 07-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #4

Please post Model of fridge.

This is exactly why brand.model are so important when having issues.
Hard to determine IF there is a problem OR misunderstanding on how fridge controls function.

According to Owners Manual pg. 40 YOU have a Norcold 2-way fridge....120V AC or LP
http://winnebagoind.com/resources/ma...5/15Aspect.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

The others post's are correct.

Start your generator and you should see it go to AC.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just about all RV refers like the one you have run with 110V (park mode with shore power) or Propane (which then needs 12v to light). On the road if you are using AUTO & open the valve to your propane tank, the refer should run fine while travel the roads.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:30 PM   #7

Model # N822RT. The manual is confusing, but I thought I could put refer on auto while driving, propane off and generator off and it would run on battery...could of swore dealer told me that, but head was full of details during walk thru. Guess I need to read more. Thank you for your help, I learn something new everyday.
Valerie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Model # N822RT. The manual is confusing, but I thought I could put refer on auto while driving, propane off and generator off and it would run on battery...could of swore dealer told me that, but head was full of details during walk thru. Guess I need to read more. Thank you for your help, I learn something new everyday.
You can get an RV fridge that will run on DC, but it is an option not normally used because people run their batteries down. It works fine on propane when driving.

Some people freak out over having the propane fridge running when fueling. If that concerns you then you can turn it off for a few minutes. I ‘m not cocerned about it after 50 years experience.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
You can get an RV fridge that will run on DC, but it is an option not normally used because people run their batteries down. It works fine on propane when driving.

Some people freak out over having the propane fridge running when fueling. If that concerns you then you can turn it off for a few minutes. I ‘m not cocerned about it after 50 years experience.
Don't you have an inverter that would power the fridge on 120 ?
As you drive.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:07 PM   #10

Quote:

NO...Norcold N822 Fridge is 2-way only
120V AC (shore power or generator) and LP.
Fridge requires 12V DC to function on AC or LP.....DC for controls/display etc

Manual in link....pg 40

Push MODE button to select
LP.....gas operation
AC....electric operation
AU...Auto will operate on AC if available or swap to GAS if AC not available

12V DC supplied by Converter when on AC/Gen
12V DC supplied by coach battery when no AC is available
(Pg 60 in manual linked above)

How to operate your fridge see pgs 6 - 8
FAULT Codes on pg 17
(Fridge manual)

https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/...ough-22106.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #11
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
“but I thought I could put refer on auto while driving, propane off and generator off and it would run on battery”

Not true, the LP has to be on for it to work.

Most, maybe allot, of us leave the LP on all the time just to have the fridge work.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:52 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What we usually do is leave door shut and propane off while traveling, and then if we stop, we crank GEN while we are stopped for stretch or meal. Most, with good door gaskets, kept closed, will maintain cold temp for pretty long. Then we turn propane on at campsite if boon docking.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej1144 View Post
Your norcold runs on propane or a.c. not battery. Battery ignites the propane burner for the fridge
That's right. Don't shut off your propane and the problem goes away.
jarekio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:17 AM   #14

ValerieD,

As you have realized, your have a 2-way fridge, not a 3-way fridge.

2-way
- Propane with 12V support
- 110V

3-way
- Propane with 12V support
- 110V
- 100% 12V

Our fridge is a 2-way. The propane setting is extremely efficient, using an extremely small amount of propane to operate. We set it on propane and leave it so throughout our multi-week travels, even if staying a night with hook-ups. We drive all the time while the fridge is on propane and it works perfect.

The only matter with being on propane all the time is when filling up with gasoline at a gas station. While at the pump, we raise the temp on the fridge so igniting propane is not called for, then lower it again when finished at the gas station. This method works well for us, just in-case we forget to lower the setting right after our fill-up. At least the fridge is not completely turned off that way.

Does anyone know if the fridge will work when on 110V but no battery support? I assumed it does. Or does it require 12V battery power to operate on 110V just as it does when on propane? I never tried running our 2-way fridge on 110V with the batteries disconnected.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge