Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #15

Now imagine the changes to the suspension and driveline needed to make the change to class 8 stuff and bear in mind it would have to be raised at least a foot due to less free space around the tires on an E-model chassis and the coach body. Behind that, the rear gear ratio having to be changed to pull and push all of that rotating mass and to compensate for the loss of torque due to the increased circumference. After you do all of this, you gotta post pics.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #16

Oh boy pretty involved . Im just going to buy 6 tires 235 -85-R16 tires for the rims I purchased . I do know I need another rim and tire for the spare. I got a great deal on these 16" rims they came with tires they all hold air but the tires are over 10 years old so they are JUNK. I originally went looking for the rims at the junkyard with no luck. So I posted in Craigslist .i got the rims for $150 for all 6. and because the RV is from '78 the rims had to have the raised lug holes. So I got the correct rims. Thanks again for your insights.
vicmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Now imagine the changes to the suspension and driveline needed to make the change to class 8 stuff and bear in mind it would have to be raised at least a foot due to less free space around the tires on an E-model chassis and the coach body. Behind that, the rear gear ratio having to be changed to pull and push all of that rotating mass and to compensate for the loss of torque due to the increased circumference. After you do all of this, you gotta post pics.
Sir,

Check out the diameter difference in the 16", and the LOW PRO 22.5's....
Its not that dramatic, but I do agree when looking at the picture of the OP's coach, a slight lift is needed, but only a few inches, no more than four perhaps.

No other mods are needed on 90% of these change overs
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:15 PM   #18

I am willing to sell it send me a private message . Its over my ability
Old 11-20-2017, 09:16 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
You best weigh this old Holiday Rambler before you think about going to 4 wheels instead of 6! Most of these were overweight right from the factory when they were new, and the tanks were empty! IMO, stick with the 6 wheels, and get the proper rated tires for the weight of the coach! Rail!
Old 11-20-2017, 11:59 PM   #20

If I may ask, why are you so adamant about going to four wheels and what purpose would it serve?
Old 11-21-2017, 07:37 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
But my question is can I safely just use 4 wheels . without changing the rear axle.
Possible - Yes. Feasible - IMHO, NO...

A couple items to consider,

1) Weight distribution on the axle bearings. The axle is a full floating axle with two sets of bearings that are on each side of the axle.. The rim(s) you select should distribute the weight to the hub so that the weight is distributed equally to the two bearings. If the rim is outside, it will place more weight on the outside bearing.

A smaller micro-mini Class C (Toyota) many years ago had axle failures when a manufacture was placing fake dullies on the axle. The axle wasn't a full float, and the fake dullies place the loads on the outside of the single bearing that caused the axle to bend, and ultimately broke.

2) Tire / wheel. The single tire must be capable of supporting the weight that was originally supported by two tires..

You may have seen 18 wheelers that have single tires/wheels instead of dullies.. You will have noticed that the single tires/wheels are very wide compared to the dully tire/wheels.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #22

The reason is the cost 6 vs 4. I was merely asking . No other reason. But given the cost to convert and the work involved I will just stay with 6 plus spare. Thanks to o all that replied.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
The reason is the cost 6 vs 4. I was merely asking .
To help spread out the costs of tires, I buy two tires every two or three years.. I put the new tires on the front and move the fronts to the rear. I have steel rims so I also move the rear tires to opposite sides, always keeping the tires so they rotate in the same direction.

With this scheme, my steer tires are always less than three years old, and all the tires on the MH are less than 8-9 years old..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire_Rotation.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	183504  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:43 PM   #24

Thank u all