Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #1

Front engine diesel good or bad

Looking at the nexus host and wondering about front engine diesel and is this a good coach
klinerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #2

We have a front engine gas, a front enginee deisel has to be better, but not as good as a rear engine deisel in many aspects.It all depends on your budget and entened use. They all are great. Just different. If we ever buy another rig, it will be a rear engine deisel. At least 500 HP or Im not buying. No it will be 600 HP or I will never buy another.we love the Newmar, but we loved our Jayco fiver. May go back to a Jayco, Cornerstone, as its the best bang for the buck in the 600 HP rigs.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Front engine diesels are hot and noisy. But on balance it might
be right for you depending on a zillion variables. Good luck.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #4

We are picking up a Four Winds 35SK this Saturday, which is a front-engine diesel. It is built on a F-550 chassis. I haven't ridden in a new F-550 yet, but I have ridden in a newer F-350 with the 6.7l diesel, and it is pretty quiet. I suspect a front-engine diesel on a cut-away van chassis would be horrible, but if the motor is out in front of the cab, it will be pretty decent.
boiledfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
Front engine diesels are hot and noisy. But on balance it might be right for you depending on a zillion variables. Good luck.
Maybe they used to be. Mine is not. 1/3 the noise of front gas, 25% better MPG, and not hot at all, etc, etc. the technology of a FRED today is superbly better.

However the Nexus Ghost is a super-c, a big truck with a cab-over bed. I cannot answer for them directly but the later diesel trucks like the Ford Power-Stroke are incredibly quiet.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Long driveline through the center of the vehicle so no or very restricted pass through storage.
Might be noisier and hotter in the cockpit.
More u-joints and support bearings.
No air suspension?
No air brakes?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfiedler View Post
We are picking up a Four Winds 35SK this Saturday, which is a front-engine diesel. It is built on a F-550 chassis. I haven't ridden in a new F-550 yet, but I have ridden in a newer F-350 with the 6.7l diesel, and it is pretty quiet. I suspect a front-engine diesel on a cut-away van chassis would be horrible, but if the motor is out in front of the cab, it will be pretty decent.
What year and model is this? And what motor? Our F53 Ford is built on F550 Ford chassis with the Ford V10 gas engine. Didn't know they are doing one in deisel.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #8

A friend has a front Cummins unit and he loves it. Price much more affordable.
One big advantage is that the rear end has truck model bottom pinion. Compared to upside down bus model of diesel pushers that leave the pinion dry when parked. It's ok for buses that are on the road all the time.
So for me the front engine models are much better design.
In the industry we completely refused to use over hung reduction unit due to drying of the high speed bearings when idle.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Long driveline through the center of the vehicle so no or very restricted pass through storage.
Might be noisier and hotter in the cockpit.
More u-joints and support bearings.
No air suspension?
No air brakes?
Had two full bays of pass through storage on my last gas front engine coach !!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
One big advantage is that the rear end has truck model bottom pinion. Compared to upside down bus model of diesel pushers that leave the pinion dry when parked. It's ok for buses that are on the road all the time.
In the industry we completely refused to use over hung reduction unit due to drying of the high speed bearings when idle.
What!!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #11

OP is talking about a Super C. Nexus Ghost.
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
This is total bs, I have several Mack trucks with the upside down, IE military type drop in differential type drive units. They are far superior to anything on the road. I wasn't a where that diesel pushers came with this type of differentials. If they do. It it a plus.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just to be clear...this thread is in the Class C forum...
...So, front engine Diesel - good or bad?
Compared to what?

Class C's have front engines, so Diesel Class C's are GREAT!
Front engined gas Class C's are great too.
The Nexus is built on a Medium Duy Truck...that's really GREAT!

Using a conventional truck cab and chassis, they are built for long service life, can be serviced at any dealer for that brand, and the engine will love all the clean fresh air up front.

Now, if the OP is asking Diesel Super Class C -vs.- Class A Diesel Pusher...?
That is a harder question to answer.

I prefer a Class A layout with the BIG open front end. But, the Super C's have some really high points too...it is a personal decision based on layout, price, capacities, etc.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #14

have class c 2001 coachman 29rf and am very happy with noise level with 7.3 pwr stroke just a small buzz that isn't annoying to me or my wife at all., but then diesels have been my way of life for 40 years. The new ones are quieter yet by far
paving no mo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel